It Is Difficult To Hire Chinese Speaking Staff Bangkok?

Hello folks!

I am from Europe and have a company in China. Since I would like to setup an office in Thailand,

I need to know how difficult it is to hire Chinese speaking people in Bangkok?

They should possess a native-level standard of written and oral Chinese.

I know that the Thai-Chinese community counts about 14% of the population. Do they still talk Chinese?

Thanks if you can help!

Today, 2009-12-27 07:41:37 Post #2

Group: Members

Member No.: 75,359

greetings malaica

you must be kidding.... only 14% speaking chinese....? lol

also speaking chinese myself, i would venture to guess that the chinese speaking population in thailand exceeds 30%....

some thirty years ago, the figure would be around 70%....

currently, most elderly and middle aged thais who still could spreak and understand some chinese, PuTungWha, Cantanese, TaeChiew, Hukka, HockKian.... among a few others, genuinely regret that their own children do not read, speak nor write sufficient chinese to survive.... if and when china does take over southeast asia.... lol

at present, from my experience, there are educated thais who could speak, read and write thai, chinese and english as well.... they comprise of about only 10% of the population and they are in great demand....

last month, during a funeral in bkk, ran into a thai lady in her 25.... she reads, speaks and writes thai, english and chinese.... a graduate of a state university in chicago.... she is commuting weeking between bkk and shienghai--working in shienghai and visiting her just deceased mom in bkk....

the parent chinese company is paying her around 15,000 usd a month plus monthly traveling allowance and monthly profit sharing of 10%....

if you have trouble looking for qualified individuals, email or pm me anytime.... with your specs

will be glad to help as best as i can.... but these candidates will probably laugh at 60,000 baht a month salary though....

in my opinion as working in Corporate Thailand, I think you'll be better off to import your Chinese speaking staff

from mainland China, HK, Singapore, or Taiwan who have higher standard in reading& speaking business Mandarin and Cantonese.

Local quality in foreign languages aren't to par here.

You'll have comparable's amongst the candidate and can base your competitive salary within their know-how.

The key is, we don't need top corporates and senior managers.

The role involves:

Placing orders via emails and chat line or phone calls on existing small and medium sized suppliers all around China.

Get the items shipped to our China warehouse.

In China we have some fresh grads for this position.

Required skills:

Native level oral and written Chinese.

-Computer literate (e.g. Microsoft Office, Excel, Internet etc)

-Very good organizational and follow-up skills

-Fast learners

We need at least 3 people

I need to know how hard to find this kind of people? Since we expect some turn over.

Thanks rich for your help

The role involves:

Placing orders via emails and chat line or phone calls on existing small and medium sized suppliers all around China.

Required skills:

-Fast learners

I need to know how hard to find this kind of people? Since we expect some turn over.

Today, 2009-12-27 07:41:37 Post #2

Group: Members

Member No.: 75,359

greetings malaica

you must be kidding.... only 14% speaking chinese....? lol

also speaking chinese myself, i would venture to guess that the chinese speaking population in thailand exceeds 30%....

some thirty years ago, the figure would be around 70%....

currently, most elderly and middle aged thais who still could spreak and understand some chinese, PuTungWha, Cantanese, TaeChiew, Hukka, HockKian.... among a few others, genuinely regret that their own children do not read, speak nor write sufficient chinese to survive.... if and when china does take over southeast asia.... lol

at present, from my experience, there are educated thais who could speak, read and write thai, chinese and english as well.... they comprise of about only 10% of the population and they are in great demand....

last month, during a funeral in bkk, ran into a thai lady in her 25.... she reads, speaks and writes thai, english and chinese.... a graduate of a state university in chicago.... she is commuting weeking between bkk and shienghai--working in shienghai and visiting her just deceased mom in bkk....

the parent chinese company is paying her around 15,000 usd a month plus monthly traveling allowance and monthly profit sharing of 10%....

if you have trouble looking for qualified individuals, email or pm me anytime.... with your specs

will be glad to help as best as i can.... but these candidates will probably laugh at 60,000 baht a month salary though....

If you want to do it properly, recommend you use a good recruitment firm. This way you are getting the best person possible, save you time in going through countless resumes of people not suited for the position and they can negotiate the salaries on your behalf which is always a pain.

A good company we use is www.ssrecruitment.com

Not sure about the Chinese, but we got a Japanese and Korean Translator from them in less than 3 weeks time.

Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hello malaica,

I am a native Chinese speaker(Mandarin) who graduated from Assumption University, Bachelor Degree. I am able to speak English, Chinese and some Thai. I can accept the salary lower than the standard. Please PM me about the job details.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Live

Edited by live

The role involves:

Required skills:

-Fast learners

Hi Malaica, please PM me. My neighbour, a german guy, is married to a Chinese (Beijing) and she is looking for something to do and has a good background as well. Speaks pretty decent english and has some german knowledge too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think so too.

in my opinion as working in Corporate Thailand, I think you'll be better off to import your Chinese speaking staff

from mainland China, HK, Singapore, or Taiwan who have higher standard in reading& speaking business Mandarin and Cantonese.

Local quality in foreign languages aren't to par here.

You'll have comparable's amongst the candidate and can base your competitive salary within their know-how.

• 1 year later...

I bring a lot of Chinese customers to Bangkok from Hong Kong and the PRC for medical tourism (to get health check ups, special medical procedures, etc.).

I need to hire Chinese speaking staff to take care of them.

The job requirements include:

- liasing with Hong Kong headoffice;

- arranging limousine service to pick up/ departure at airport;

- greeting and pick up/ departure from airport;

- explaining procedures to customers (training will be provided)

- accompanying customers to hospitals for treatments;

- reminding customers of daily activities, medications to take, dietary requirements, etc;

- occasionally accompanying customers for tourist activities;

This is a part time job.

Salary is paid by a minimum monthly retainer plus a 'per customer' bonus basis.

Anybody interested?

Alfred2001