Thai Dl In Us?

I've been living in Thailand for a few years, and my US DL expired. I'm likely going back to the US for a short vacation and am wondering if my Thai DL (5 year, written in English and Thai) is acceptable to rent a car.

I won't be going to the state I used to live in, so I can't renew my expired US license.

I don't live anywhere near Bangkok, and taking into account my work schedule, I would like to avoid going to Bangkok to get an IDP if at all possible.

Thanks.

According to both Hertz and Dollar US websites, only a "valid drivers license" is required.

Sources:

http://www.dollar.com/Help/FAQs/DollarCarR...2-A8AB067BAE3C}

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/customersupp...aqsRightNow.jsp

Therefore the next question becomes: Is a Thai drivers license valid in the US? The answer is yes since Thailand and USA are both signatories to the UN's Convention on Road Traffic, as long as it is one of the newer ones that have English on them, otherwise you will need the translation document (that is all the IDP does, translate your current license).

Source:

http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign_Visitors_Driving.shtml

Remember that there is no such thing as an international drivers license (IDL) and any company offering one is running a scam. And an IDP is simply a translation of your current license, so if your license is in English already, an IDP becomes largely unnecessary with very few exceptions. In fact in the US and many other counties the government doesn't even issue IDP's. They allow the private automobile associations to do it.

I have repeatedly seen reference to China car rentals requiring an IDP to rent there if the license wasn't already in Chinese or English.

Further info on scam-ish IDP's and scam IDL's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International...#Fraudulent_IDP

http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/nationa...ers-license.htm

http://techgringo.com/idl-scam-2141.html

I suggest that if you get any resistance from counter staff (they should know all this stuff) just start talking about the UN Convenvention on Road Traffic of 1949 and 68 and ask for a supervisor. They will quickly acquiesce.

It's always a good idea to check the current laws in the country you plan on driving in. Of course it doesn't hurt to have an IDP, if you don't mind parting with the cash. You never know when you will encounter a stupid cop that doesn't know what he is talking about, as one OP in one of the above links above did. And it can happen, trust me. I used to be one of those dumb cops.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

According to both Hertz and Dollar US websites, only a "valid drivers license" is required.

Sources:

http://www.dollar.com/Help/FAQs/DollarCarR...2-A8AB067BAE3C}

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/customersupp...aqsRightNow.jsp

Therefore the next question becomes: Is a Thai drivers license valid in the US? The answer is yes since Thailand and USA are both signatories to the UN's Convention on Road Traffic, as long as it is one of the newer ones that have English on them, otherwise you will need the translation document (that is all the IDP does, translate your current license).

Source:

http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign_Visitors_Driving.shtml

Remember that there is no such thing as an international drivers license (IDL) and any company offering one is running a scam. And an IDP is simply a translation of your current license, so if your license is in English already, an IDP becomes largely unnecessary with very few exceptions. In fact in the US and many other counties the government doesn't even issue IDP's. They allow the private automobile associations to do it.

I have repeatedly seen reference to China car rentals requiring an IDP to rent there if the license wasn't already in Chinese or English.

Further info on scam-ish IDP's and scam IDL's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International...#Fraudulent_IDP

http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/nationa...ers-license.htm

http://techgringo.com/idl-scam-2141.html

I suggest that if you get any resistance from counter staff (they should know all this stuff) just start talking about the UN Convenvention on Road Traffic of 1949 and 68 and ask for a supervisor. They will quickly acquiesce.

It's always a good idea to check the current laws in the country you plan on driving in. Of course it doesn't hurt to have an IDP, if you don't mind parting with the cash. You never know when you will encounter a stupid cop that doesn't know what he is talking about, as one OP in one of the above links above did. And it can happen, trust me. I used to be one of those dumb cops.

A Thai DL may not be valid in many states. I was in Oregon last July, my Oregon DL had expired. I checked online with the Oregon DMV and the Thai license was OK. I got a new Oregon license while there anyway.

Need to check the specific state(s) you'll be traveling to and through. Do a Google for: [state name] dmv

Mac

Glad to help. This is one of 3 or 4 topics that I for some reason have adopted here at TV, probably because there are so many scams going and so much misunderstanding about it.

On a side note, I notice Google ads is still showing the IDL banner here on ThaiVisa. That company is actually selling an IDP type document, i.e. merely a translation, and not a "license" at all as it leads us to believe, as there exists no such document, not legally anyway. They claim it adheres to the UN Conventions mentioned above, but I don't see how they can unless they have been specifically designated by governments to do so. In the US, Australia Canada and the UK you can only buy a real IDP from an automobile association designated by the respective government. And for much less than the private websites are selling the scam-ish ones! Automobile associations sell them for about 10-15usd, whereas the private websites sells theirs for 57 to 100usd! Heck, even the Thai government will give you an IDP translation document of a Thai license for a few hundred baht.

Furthermore, the website claims their licenses, or permits, or translation documents, or whatever they decide they are calling them at the moment, are valid for 3 years for an extra fee, but I have read multiple sources stating that IDP's (translation document) can only be valid for one year, assuming the DL it is translating is valid at least that long too.

Personally I don't think that website is doing something entirely legal, certainly is not ethical. IMHO, ThaiVisa, as a source of information of travelers, should ask Google to remove or block it from the site.

Sad thing is, in practice the document they provide is probably happily accepted by most police officers and other officials as legit, since they just don't know better.

Example of a real IDP for sale to Americans holding a current drivers license issued by a US state:

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Another good explanation of IDP's

http://www.drivers.com/article/206/

A Thai DL may not be valid in many states. I was in Oregon last July, my Oregon DL had expired. I checked online with the Oregon DMV and the Thai license was OK. I got a new Oregon license while there anyway.

Need to check the specific state(s) you'll be traveling to and through. Do a Google for: [state name] dmv

Mac

That's not a bad point. I just did a quick check of 3 states, California, Texas and New York. All state you can drive on your foreign license for at least a year as a visitor/tourist. Nothing mentioned about IDP's.

Here is a quote from dmv.org which is consistent with the other sources I found:

• Drivers license. As a tourist, your foreign license is valid in most states for up to one year. Some states offer a shorter grace period, but regardless of your length of stay, make sure the license contains photo identification. If your home license comes in several pieces, bring them all.

• International Driver Permit (IDP). The IDP is typically not required to drive in America. Some states and car rental agencies do request the IDP, so it's never a bad idea to have one at hand. You must get your IDP in your home country, before making the trip abroad.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

n the US, Australia Canada and the UK you can only buy a real IDP from an automobile association designated by the respective government. And for much less than the private websites are selling the scam-ish ones! Automobile associations sell them for about 10-15usd, whereas the private websites sells theirs for 57 to 100usd! Heck, even the Thai government will give you an IDP translation document of a Thai license for a few hundred baht.

There's an outfit on Phuket charging over 5,500 baht for a 10 year IDL.

By the way, Massachusetts can be added to the list of states that don't require an IDP for holders of a Thai DL.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21317.pdf

n the US, Australia Canada and the UK you can only buy a real IDP from an automobile association designated by the respective government. And for much less than the private websites are selling the scam-ish ones! Automobile associations sell them for about 10-15usd, whereas the private websites sells theirs for 57 to 100usd! Heck, even the Thai government will give you an IDP translation document of a Thai license for a few hundred baht.

There's an outfit on Phuket charging over 5,500 baht for a 10 year IDL.

By the way, Massachusetts can be added to the list of states that don't require an IDP for holders of a Thai DL.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21317.pdf

I would be interested to learn more about this 5,500baht 10 year IDL so everyone can be warned. Pure scam no doubt. It's certainly very illegal to sell a useless piece of paper that does nothing which they claim. I wonder if he will accept Monopoly money as payment?

There was a guy on here touting something like that a while ago and he got such a negative reaction, he disappeared from the board altogether. Might be the same guy. Just looked for his thread but couldn't find it. I did find this from another member though:

"I was in LA and rented a car from Alamo. I forgot my IDL, even i had one in the Hotelroom. I showed them only the 5 year Thai DL, which i had in my wallet and got the car without any problems."

During my search I also learned that the legit Thailand IDP is 505 baht, and apparently the government only issues IDP's on the 5-year Thai license, not the 1-year temporary.

Soutpeel and LivinLOS know this stuff pretty good, they should be along to fact check me. :)

Edited by ScubaBuddha

The IDL isnt an illegal document, its just not a very valid document that people use to exploit peoples ignorance..

An IDL is essentially a translation of your license done by a source.

An IDP is a translation done and issued by an automobile club or official body.. Hence the latter is 'trusted' far more than the former. Where the IDP is legal in many countries your home license on its own is not, the IDL is basically only legit in a country where your home country license would be accepted anyway. The translation factor is more a kind of assistance than a legal requirement.

I would be interested to learn more about this 5,500baht 10 year IDL so everyone can be warned.

Here is the link:

http://phuketdir.com/intlicense/

And the same thing you can get a far superior package (book plus 2 plastic license cards) for about 35 or 40 USD online !! So 40 USD or 150 !!

I keep an IDP in my wallet so it can be lost, given away to a cop in emergency, etc..

The IDL isnt an illegal document, its just not a very valid document that people use to exploit peoples ignorance..

An IDP is a translation done and issued by an automobile club or official body.. Hence the latter is 'trusted' far more than the former. Where the IDP is legal in many countries your home license on its own is not, the IDL is basically only legit in a country where your home country license would be accepted anyway. The translation factor is more a kind of assistance than a legal requirement.

I'm not sure how an IDL can not be illegal and not valid at the same time, if that makes sense. A problem arrises with the terminology used. I "license," by legal definition, allows a person or entity to do something they couldn't legally do otherwise. Many web based companies claim thier IDL's do this, an illegal claim. They get away with it becaues there is no one enforcing it, cops and car rental companies don't usually know any better, and people are gullible. You may very well get away with using your 100usd 10 year International Drivers License bought from the internet simply because it looks real.

There are shades of legality with these IDP's as well. Even the company advertised here on ThaiVisa's Google ads offers a very ligitimate looking little ID card along with something that looks like an IDP. Legally that card provides you nothing, but may fool many. (I noticed they state that they are legally barred by Florida state law from putting your birthdate on the IDP/L they sell because it is not a legal governement document.) According to the UN convention, a real IDP is a passport size translation document which is to be kept with your legal DL from your resident country. Without a current Dl from your resident country, the IDP is useless.

Example of IDP from Taiwan:

IDP_Taiwan.jpg

Edited by ScubaBuddha

There seem to be rules in some states that require a US driver license if you are a US citizen (like the requirement to enter the US with a US passport if you are a US citizen). Do not believe most rental firms are checking that anymore - but State Troopers may.

As for renewing a US license I have been doing this for the last 40 years in both New Hampshire and Florida by mail. There is no need to return to state to obtain license (although there may be tax reasons you would not want in some states).

I'm not sure how an IDL can not be illegal and not valid at the same time, if that makes sense. A problem arrises with the terminology used. I "license," by legal definition, allows a person or entity to do something they couldn't legally do otherwise. Many web based companies claim thier IDL's do this, an illegal claim. They get away with it becaues there is no one enforcing it, cops and car rental companies don't usually know any better, and people are gullible. You may very well get away with using your 100usd 10 year International Drivers License bought from the internet simply because it looks real.

There are shades of legality with these IDP's as well. Even the company advertised here on ThaiVisa's Google ads offers a very ligitimate looking little ID card along with something that looks like an IDP. Legally that card provides you nothing, but may fool many. (I noticed they state that they are legally barred by Florida state law from putting your birthdate on the IDP/L they sell because it is not a legal governement document.) According to the UN convention, a real IDP is a passport size translation document which is to be kept with your legal DL from your resident country. Without a current Dl from your resident country, the IDP is useless.

Example of IDP from Taiwan:

IDP_Taiwan.jpg

Think of it this way.. The IDL is merely a translation.. Its helpful sure, but its not legally changing anything. In some countries (ones that accept your home country license) this is legal, but some not.

The IDP is a more formal version, which is issued by a competent authority (motoring club) is valid for 1 year and supplements your license in many countries that do not accept your home country license on its own. Many countries do insist you have the IDP with your home country license to be fully legal.

As I have an adblocker on I dont know what site your mentioning but if its selling an IDP it must come from a competent motoring institution like the AA etc. However IDL's are dime a dozen.