Trip Planning - Phang Nga

coolxten

Hi, so I did something a little stupid...I'm visiting a friend in Singapore and thought it would be nice to stop over in Phuket. I arrive on Weds @ 3pm, have a full day Thurs, and flight leaves on Fri @ 7am in the beginning of Feb. I know a bit of a squeeze, but at the time I was thinking I could do a day tour, and leave the next day...I'm thinking of Phang Nga, and renting a long tail for a day or half a day on my full day.

I tried to do some research, but nothing very helpful or recent. Here are my questions.

BTW I ask about transportation since I've read a lot about the taxi mafia, and trouble finding reasonably price transportation during peak season.

1) How hard is it to get a taxi to Phang Nga from the airport during Feb? How much should it cost me? How long does it take to get from the airport to Phang Nga town?

2) I'm thinking of staying at Phang Nga Inn, but they don't have online booking, I haven't tried calling. I've read it's wise to book ahead. Any recommendations for a 500-700 baht per night budget? I don't mind staying in a dorm.

3) So the plan is to either on Weds evening charter a long tail boat for Thurs, or on Thurs early in the morning say around 7am get to the beach and negotiate a long tail to take me around sight seeing. Does this sound ok to do? Do see any problems? How much is reasonable to pay?

4) On Fri morning I would like to be at the airport by 5am. Will have any trouble finding a reasonable taxi to take me to the airport for that time?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

You will have no problem getting a taxi in February but you must ask yourself whether you really want to do that. I have no idea what the cost will be for a taxi to Phang Mga but my guess is that it will likely be around Baht 2,000 hence renting a car at the airport may be a more flexible and cost effective solution - figure Baht 1,400 per day. The drive from the airport to Phang Nga is a decent one, the road is good and it's a pleasant drive.

Second point to consider is whether you actually mean Phang Nga town or elsewhere - Phang Nga is a sleepy little place with not much to offer whereas Ao Nang, a short distance down the cost has much more to offer, I think so you may want to research your options on this, just a thought.

1) easy and about 1000 bath, 30 minutes drive to phang nga town, better rent a car for 1000 bath opposit the airport or......

i think its better for you, stay at nai jang beach phuket, drive with motorbike for a daytrip to phang nga, rent longtail....... cheaper way, safe money for taxi and take a good hotel room and you dont have to hang around in boring phangngatown.

Thanks for your replies.

Renting a car sounds like a good idea. But will the rental shop be open 5am or 6am for me to return the car before my flight?

I'm finding it difficult to research since there are so many beaches, and so much advertising.

Besides Phang Nga, what other beaches should I consider if I wish to do an interesting long tail day tour, and that is a reasonable drive to the airport.

Thanks again.

Consider staying in Khao Lak which has many accomodation options. Khao Lak is 70 KM north of the bridge which connects Phuket to the mainland, and it has lovely beaches. Phuket airport can be reached from Khao Lak in a bit more than an hour, and the ride should cost about 1000-1200 Baht.

In Khao Lak you can book an organized longtailboat tour at Phangnga Bay, which costs about 2150 Baht. Alternatively you could make your own way to the pier at Phangnga Bay (public bus, rented car or motorcycle), and charter a longtailboat there for 1200-1400 Baht.

Thanks for your replies.

Renting a car sounds like a good idea. But will the rental shop be open 5am or 6am for me to return the car before my flight?

I'm finding it difficult to research since there are so many beaches, and so much advertising.

Besides Phang Nga, what other beaches should I consider if I wish to do an interesting long tail day tour, and that is a reasonable drive to the airport.

Thanks again.

Yes it will, no problem.

Consider Ao Nang and the nearby Ralay (sp) beach which is regarded as one of the top twenty beaches in the world, plenty of longtails to be had nearby.

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks again.

Yes it will, no problem.

Thanks for the info, it looks like Ao Nang is a good choice. I've been trying to see which car rental place opens at 5am in the morning, and can't find one. "Thai Rent a Car" opens at 8:30am

Can you let me know which rental place your refering to? or if there is some drop off procedure for after hours?