Bangkok To Become World Class City

george

Governor unveils plans for Bangkok to become world class city

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayothin today invited residents of the capital to lend their ideas to plans to transform Bangkok into a world-class city within the next two decades, saying that the outstanding features of cities across the world would be applied and transformed to suit the culture of Thailand’s capital.

Addressing local politicians, charity representatives, community leaders and Bangkok executives during a workshop on transforming Bangkok into a liveable city, Mr. Apirak stressed the need to open up the forum on the city’s development to a wide range of people, allowing ideas from all sides of the debate.

The ideas would then be collected together and transformed into plans extending in five phases over the next 20 years, the governor said, adding that the proposals would include ideas gleaned from cities across the world and the criteria for liveability determined by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations.

The Bangkok governor hopes that the plans will address issues such as the environment, local participation in decision makings, sufficient infrastructure, a diversified economy, cultural growth and good health.

The first phase will specifically look at traffic congestion, cleanliness, the environment, the happiness of the population, security, opportunities for residents, and public participation.

--TNA 2005-04-23

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? Doesn't the governor take lessons from Taksin? All insurmountable problems are always resolved within 90 days.

Twenty years, and countless trillions of baht, might be the answer. I doubt that Thais can cure Bangkok of its major ills by themselves, though.

Maybe I'm mistaken, and this is the joke of the day. What cities are truly world class: London, Paris, New York City, Los Angeles? And consider what problems those cities have!

"Bangkok to become world class city"

What does that mean ? Does that mean that Bangkok will become a financial hub of Asia, does it mean that the quality of lives in Bangkok increases, does it mean that they want more expatriates aka more farang to make it a global city, if so then why not make the work permit situation easier to encourage farang to Thailand.

I think the paradox here it to go from "World visited" to "world class".

What cities in the world are world class and what does this mean to you ?

lol

The first phase will specifically look at traffic congestion

This guy is going to become PM in less than 20 years, or at least this is how they start. Promise the stars! In the last phase he will have problems, cause Bangkok should be under water by then.

""""saying that the outstanding features of cities across the world would be applied and transformed to suit the culture of Thailand’s capital""""

The culture of the Thai capital is exactly what makes it impossible to be a "wold-class" city

The transforming of the outstanding features of other world-class cities will make them no longer world-class features.

The first phase will specifically look at traffic congestion, cleanliness, the environment, the happiness of the population, security, opportunities for residents, and public participation.

Oh now I finally understand why they recently allowed a new slum to be built smack dead on the middle of Sukhumvit between soi 6 and the Landmark.

Gotta love the smell of sewage on Bangkoks #1 tourist strip.

Bangkok is already a well-known and much talked about city worldwide...it is famous (notorious) for all the things that make it the experience that we all know and above all as the night life capital of the East...so it's already a 'world class' city. If this is going to be an attempt to further Westernize the city with the Governer trying to tone down everything that makes this city unique with the view that 'West is best' then surely in the long run BKK is going to lose the culture and identity that is what greatly helps bring in the tourist dollars every year...

I thought BKK was already world-class, in certain aspects anyway  :o

Yes,kat.

My wife and I have just spent six months living in North Bangkok (in Amphoe Don Meuang, on the other side of the railway from the Airport). We found it very enjoyable. A great contrast to being hotel-based visitors to Central Bangkok.

We are glad to be back in Esarn, but that is because we are not really 'city folk'.

Looking ahead 20 years to when enormously expensive energy has transformed economies around the world, I would guess that Bangkok will be one of the few cities to more-or-less keep its economic act together.

When the Londoners etc can no longer afford house-heating in winter, there will be enormous pressure to emigrate either to the Mediterranean countries or out here.

Maybe Thailand needs to get a 'world class' immigration policy going pretty quick!!

World class toxic waste dump more like it!

No money in the world would make me live there.

Hey, this is the the problem they are trying to solve!

Addressing local politicians...  during a workshop on transforming Bangkok into a liveable city

They admit BKK is not livable right now. That's a good start, I guess.

The traffic problem is intractable, and to me that is the worst thing about BKK, and dooms it forever to being second rate. If I had to drive in BKK, I'd go insane.

Though who knows, if you can believe what many geologists and economists are saying, oil will be extremely expensive in 20 years, and traffic won't be much of a problem. That would make irrelevant BKK's hugest, uh, 'design' flaw, leveling the playing field quite a bit, and BKK would have a shot at being world class in relative terms.

Looks like a few people here are nervous about peak oil...

Take down those bloody power lines, phone lines etc, and bury them. Yes it's more expensive, do it anyway, at least starting with the streets that you want to be proud of. Then we can stop looking like a third-world slum.

And sort out the pavements, of course.

I wonder if Apirak went on to say HOW the public could contribute their ideas? Even a suggestion box would do for a start... Or do we just moan in public forums as we always did? :o

:o  :D what I havent heard very much of is Solar power?

there is a abundance of raw material in Thailand why not develope it?.

This is something well worth discussing, but George might feel we were 'off topic'.

I will post a new topic on 'Problems/solutions that may follow 'Peak Oil'.

This must be a joke (although April 1 is already over.)

Bangkok is one of the few cities above 3rd world level in which you can break your toe within 5 minutes after leaving your hotel, just forget watching your footsteps and you might fall in a hole, hit a huge stone or break into a damaged sewage lattice.

It's one of the few cities in which rats and cockroaches aren't afraid of humans anymore, sometimes they actually even turn around and come your way when they feel human footsteps!

It is one of the few cities of that size, embedded in a large, economically quite successful country, which still doesn't have any (enforced, thus really existing) LAW. Police just works if murder, robbery or theft happen right in front of their eyes, when the PM found new public enemies or when there is quick money to make (helmets, bribes). Thus, Thailand, especially Bangkok (the world class city of the next century, but not sooner), is the dreamland of pickpockets, organized crime (Khaosan bus thefts) and bribe extorters.

I can just agree to one of the comments above - no one could bring me to live in Bangkok longer than just a few days (and even Thailand has seen the days where I was impressed by and happy to visit it). At least, Cambodia doesn't claim to be developed, and there are cities that deserve the attribute 'world class' MUCH more than Bangkok will in 30 years, even with bazillions of Baht being trashed into that goal. Invest them anyway, if the real estate market bubble shall not implode during the next years, if you ask me... :o Everytime I have a chance to read the Bangkok Post I wonder what brings people to pay almost european prices for condomiums or whatever in a city like Bangkok.

Pepe

Edited by pepi2005

They should copy Singapore: perfect, no crime, autocratic, best public transport I have seen. Utopia is boring though...

It does sound like the Masterplan is just another way to squeeze loads of money out of the Government and pass it to all the old cronies who run the construction companies, etc. Don't you get the impression that they keep coming up with these projects just to keep the money rolling into all these big businesses?

Edited by MaiChai

Governor unveils plans for Bangkok to become world class city 

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayothin today invited residents of the capital to lend their ideas to plans to transform Bangkok into a world-class city within the next two decades, saying that the outstanding features of cities across the world would be applied and transformed to suit the culture of Thailand’s capital.

Addressing local politicians, charity representatives, community leaders and Bangkok executives during a workshop on transforming Bangkok into a liveable city, Mr. Apirak stressed the need to open up the forum on the city’s development to a wide range of people, allowing ideas from all sides of the debate.

The ideas would then be collected together and transformed into plans extending in five phases over the next 20 years, the governor said, adding that the proposals would include ideas gleaned from cities across the world and the criteria for liveability determined by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations.

The Bangkok governor hopes that the plans will address issues such as the environment, local participation in decision makings, sufficient infrastructure, a diversified economy, cultural growth and good health.

--TNA 2005-04-23

Because the problems are so enormous, the typical Thai reaction is to attempt monumental solutions. These usually never are seen to fruition and whatever the problem was, settles back to its original level. How about following the adage that a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step. Try cleaning the tangled cobwebs of wire from the utility poles on Silom or Surawongse as a start and burying the necessaries. Stop making 2 cycles. Make it illegal to sell parts for them. Simple things to start. Grandiose may win votes but it sure doesn't work.

The very human nature that has developed Bangkok into what is is today will preclude its ever becoming a world class city.

Even Hong Kong with its congestion is more world class.

This is just an excuse to transfer, through graft and corruption, trillions of baht into the pockets of a few toxins.

City plan lacks human touch

Residents give draft the thumbs down at public forum, but Apirak says still a long way to go

BANGKOK: -- The city administration's draft of the Bangkok master plan lacks a social dimension and input from grassroots sector, members of the public say.

The plan offers a framework for city development in the next 20 years. The city unveiled it at a hearing, attended by 950 participants, representing the business sector, academics and grassroots networks.

Jit Sirataranondha, a representative of Thailand's Chamber of Commerce, said the plan focused too much on land use aspects such as land zoning and infrastructure development and construction.

``I do not see a human face in this plan. The city has to remember people are part of the city. We only know the authority wants to improve Bangkok as an economic hub but the development plan lacks projects to improve quality of life for blue-collar workers,'' said Mr Jit.

Ladavan Tanatanit, executive vice-president of Bangkok Bank Plc, said she did not see anything about education in the master plan and wished to see the city administration give more weight to education improvement.

``The backbone of a good economy is good education. I wish to see a master plan which tries to make Bangkok a place with better education,'' she said.

Many were upset the administration gave them just one hour to ask questions about the plan. However, the city administration encouraged people to send written comments later.

The drafting of the master plan was initiated by Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin and the draft was prepared by the BMA's Town Planning Department which worked with academics from Chulalongkorn University. The plan, expected to be completed this year, involves issues like economic development, land use, mass transit system, quality of life, and environmental management.

It also covers controversial projects that involve mass eviction, including a huge park plan in the Rama III area and the so-called Taksin Intermodal, a southern transport hub.

Pathomreuk Keduthat, lecturer at Thammasat University's faculty of sociology, said the master plan is another example of top-down decision-making from the administrator.

The plan was unacceptable for its lack of public participation.

He said the low-income groups should have a chance to join the drafting process, not just give comments.

The plan gave priority to economic improvement but failed to mention poor people.

``Development projects in this plan would make hundreds of slum residents homeless,'' said Mr Pathomreuk.

--Bangkok Post 2005-04-24

World class toxic waste dump more like it!

No money in the world would make me live there.

Hey, this is the the problem they are trying to solve!

Addressing local politicians...  during a workshop on transforming Bangkok into a liveable city

They admit BKK is not livable right now. That's a good start, I guess.

The traffic problem is intractable, and to me that is the worst thing about BKK, and dooms it forever to being second rate. If I had to drive in BKK, I'd go insane.

Though who knows, if you can believe what many geologists and economists are saying, oil will be extremely expensive in 20 years, and traffic won't be much of a problem. That would make irrelevant BKK's hugest, uh, 'design' flaw, leveling the playing field quite a bit, and BKK would have a shot at being world class in relative terms.

I must agree with WORLDWALKER..

I just drove from my beautiful lush garden palace in ChiangMai to that so-called new "world class" city of the future..

What a freekin joke.. "Traffic"and all those a-hole drivers, no class scumbags in Benz's drive as they own the entire road.. and then all that ugly buildings going up is the strangest of place.. a big bomb is what Bangkok needs.. and then start over building a new world class city with all NEW world class residents from all those other world class cities to teach all the natives how to act..and how to speak english, spanish, french, and italian...plus maybe japanese then you have world class..worth living in..

just means that everything is going to be more expensive... and maybe that all the poor people are sent up country by truck, like they do with the stray dogs.

Who knows what he means with that... it just sounds good so Thais think he's a smart man with good ideas, and as said before, probably the next PM.