Lower back pain, only if I walk.

See a good chiropractor. I had all sorts of problems that went away after I had a few sessions with one. If that doesn't work, then go for something else, but see a chiropractor first.

BTW, if they don't take x rays they probably ain't a good one. They don't have x ray eyes.

Mine said the best prevention of recurrence is walking, and lots of it.

Which leg are you getting pain in? If the left leg then you could have a herniated disc nucleus pulposus. I have been diagnosed with this as well as a degenerative bone condition of the spine. Basically the fluid in the discs leaks out onto nerve endings in the spine which affects the left leg.

I was given a good support corset by the hospital in Chumphon and this has made a big difference.

For spinal operations there is only one hospital in Bangkok that would entertain this as a last resort.  

Try acupuncture as an option. I had a pinched nerve in my lower back that was giving me considerable pain down my right leg. Try 7-8 treatments, I did and the pain went away and has never come back. Try for a acupuncturist who has been trained in China. Not expensive, perhaps 500-1000 per visit and better than surgery.

• Like 1

Had many back,  shoulder etc  pains including lower back pain.

Pretty much always resolved by a visit to my masseuse (deep tissue) who usually resolves such issues in just one or two sessions. Not for all, works for me.

I am much nearer 80 than 70:tongue:

Sciatica is another possibility, though the pain is usually in a hip, not the lower back.  I had a bad case of sciatica in my right hip, acupuncture an ibuprofen didn't really help, so I just stretched a lot and walked as far as I could every day and after 6 months I was able to walk a full 5 miles without pain again. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, worrab said:

Which leg are you getting pain in? If the left leg then you could have a herniated disc nucleus pulposus. I have been diagnosed with this as well as a degenerative bone condition of the spine. Basically the fluid in the discs leaks out onto nerve endings in the spine which affects the left leg.

I was given a good support corset by the hospital in Chumphon and this has made a big difference.

For spinal operations there is only one hospital in Bangkok that would entertain this as a last resort.  

Herniated disk can cause pain on either side, just depends on where the disk bulges.

There are other causes of back pain as well, not just herniated disk.

Spinal operations are done in multiple Bangkok hospitals both public and private. But it is far from clear the OP needs surgery. We don't know how long the pain has been present nor its cause. Sounds like he has not had a proper diagnosis.

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 2:54 AM, still kicking said:

I got leg pain and I am not fat 

Maybe Sciatica . Apparently , x-rays alone are not enough to acurately diagnose this. To really get a good look inside my doctor recommended a CT Scan or better MRI. 

Not cheap and not a cure just a correct diagnosis.

Edited by Denim

On 5/27/2024 at 2:54 AM, still kicking said:

I got leg pain and I am not fat 

I am not fat either.

Just large boned.   :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

All that laughing is my exercise for the day  :wai:

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Herniated disk can cause pain on either side, just depends on where the disk bulges.

There are other causes of back pain as well, not just herniated disk.

Spinal operations are done in multiple Bangkok hospitals both public and private. But it is far from clear the OP needs surgery. We don't know how long the pain has been present nor its cause. Sounds like he has not had a proper diagnosis.

A lower herniated disc will affect the left leg and a higher herniated disc will affect the right shoulder and arm. 

I was just putting forward a suggestion. Yes, a proper diagnosis is required though.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/27/2024 at 1:31 AM, swissie said:

My Ex-Wife wants me to stay healthy. She forces me to walk every day. After 500 meters I developpe strong pain in my lower back. (in German; Kreutzschmerzen). The Doctor says: At the age of 72 you must expect all kinds of things. Furthermore, surgeons shy away from "surgical-corrections" as 1 "wrong" cut in this bodily aerea can send you to a wheelchair. So, they rather do nothing.

So I stopped walking, replacing it by increased drilling in my nose and scratching my ass.

Exercises to strengthen back muscles on either side of the spine might help. At age 77, I'm getting Arthritis flare ups, walking actually helps my lower back ... but the hips can be a pain (literally).

On 5/27/2024 at 1:31 AM, swissie said:

My Ex-Wife wants me to stay healthy. She forces me to walk every day. After 500 meters I developpe strong pain in my lower back. (in German; Kreutzschmerzen). The Doctor says: At the age of 72 you must expect all kinds of things. Furthermore, surgeons shy away from "surgical-corrections" as 1 "wrong" cut in this bodily aerea can send you to a wheelchair. So, they rather do nothing.

So I stopped walking, replacing it by increased drilling in my nose and scratching my ass.

Go for swimming and appropriate massage. Also a gym might be good

At 72, it isn't worth intrusive medical procedures because the operation or recovery may be worse than your ailment.  For lower back, you may have lumbar or sacroiliac joint deterioration which exercise will not help.   

If you want to continue exercising, choose less stressful methods which reduce the effects of gravity such as swimming, or even underwater walking.  Perhaps an exercycle if that doesn't hurt.

• Agree 1

For "simple" lower back pain in most cases there is no cause or reason to be found. Surgery fro back pain is usually very disappointing, especially in elderly patients. Nevertheless I think it is warranted to do one screening: an X-ray and an MRI (just a simple one, all the extended sequences that are done to increase the bill are usually unnecessary and should only be done if the T1 and T2 give reason to do so). Sometimes something is seen that can be corrected with an operation, but the result of such procedures is difficult o predict and often only the MRI and X-rays improve, not the patient. In the end it usually boils down to exercise, lifestyle adjustment, and whatever shows improvement, often by trial and error. There is very little evidence based treatment, contrary to public opinion, the evidence of which you can see by some of the comments. But a doctor who says "I don't really know what causes you problem and don't really know what is best to do about it" is not considered an expert, however true what he says may be.

Posted (edited)

If you're in Bangkok or Pattaya this guy can come to you. 

Chiropractor

Satoshi A

You can find him on Line

Edited by misterphil
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, worrab said:

A lower herniated disc will affect the left leg and a higher herniated disc will affect the right shoulder and arm. 

I was just putting forward a suggestion. Yes, a proper diagnosis is required though.

Both higher and lower hermiated disk herniations can affect either the left or right side - or neither; disk herniations can be asympyomatic.   It depends on whether the disk presses on a nerve root and if so, on which side. Both sides are equally possible.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

At 72, it isn't worth intrusive medical procedures because the operation or recovery may be worse than your ailment.  For lower back, you may have lumbar or sacroiliac joint deterioration which exercise will not help.   

72 year olds vary greatly in their state of health.  Many can and do undergo surgeries and invasive procedures with prompt recovery.  My mother had 2 major surgeries in her 80's. Walked out of the hospital 24 hours later just fine in both cases. People in thei  70's and 80's, and sometimes even their 90's -- -  undergo major surgery  all the time. Not unusual these days, thanks to improved surgical and anesthetic  techniques.

Conversely there are much younger people who, due to obesity and/or chronic health conditions, are poor surgical risks. 

However no indication at this point that OP needs surgery. Sounds like he hadn't even gotten a diagnosis yet.  And we don't know anything about his overall state of health.