Bangkok Post Loses A Fifth Of Its Readers

george

I have been reading B-Post for decades. The paper is good with morning coffee, before I leave for the office. There is not much from local news to read, while world news still give me broaden view of the other side. Delivery is mostly timely, always arrived about 5.45. Just the right time. It's like my old pal, and hope it will be doing fine. though I don't appreciate Chirathiwat family CSR that much.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also fondly remember the Bangkok Post from 20 years ago and used to read it daily when I was in Bangkok, these days I don't live near shops selling it so tend to browse online.

It's competitor The Nation is an insult to the intelligence, fortunately it does find readers that are incapable of being insulted. Interesting that it is the main source of information here, but will resiost the temptation to eleborate, lets just say TV knows its audience.

Used to read the Post for years - was brought around noon to the office for a good price ( not sure but around 4200 a year  incl. a 1000 Baht voucher at Central, Lotus).

Before the subscription ran out this year, they sent letters with new price (around 5000 and no voucher !!).  

Well for me it was the better daily in Thailand, but still bad. The thing I disliked most was the constant uncriticizing reports. I now it is not easy in Thailand to write the truth or report about certain incidents involving Puu Yais. But since Thaksin fled the scene, BP should be more criticizing and report the misdeeds.

Miss Database though.

My take on the BP is that is that it modeled itself after the standard and respectable English language (and culture) newspapers I'd grown up reading in my own country.

It had the myriad of sections and coverage that made it a comprehensive metro daily and Sunday paper, to include news, sports, business, fashion, politics, entertainment, features such as food; had interesting writers and columnists whether political, social or those discussing the vignettes of daily life, plently of human interest reading, even a couple of pages of cartoons to make us laff at ourselves too.

Because the BP was comprehensive in presenting a variety of sections and pieces of interest to the everyday citizen and family, it easily was a comfortable and familiar paper to sit down with at daily breakfast or on a casual Sunday morning. 

It also had the crusader badge of the traditional English culture newspapers I grew up with, reporting corruption and doing so extensively even if only with focus on the national government, while consistently advocating improved democracy and better government, better business ethics, social responsibility and more.

Being a standard and respectable journal is also was predictably conventional. It always was an establishment newspaper which was owned by the established elites and remained within that box, i.e., it seldom if ever strayed from established Thai culture or norms (which is hardly unsurprising). I recall one lively writer who once tweaked as to why instead of plain simple and healthy water farang "always" have to have soft drinks with their fill of sugar, color and carbonation :) .

But alas, as Thailand during recent times has deteriorated because of uncertainty, conflict and sharp divisions in daily life, so too has the Bangkok Post. It also lost its focus, its comfortable place, its confidence in the traditional verities, its way in the fading traditions of newspaper journalism. The broad and pervasive trend away from the daily and Sunday general interest newspaper globally also has shaken its foundations.

So it's fallen into the cycle of presenting less while charging more, a fatal formula to any enterprise. 

Edited by Publicus

Reminds me of cutting off your nose to...and all that.

They offered me a job just over a year ago. I accepted the job, and never heard back from them since Christmas Eve 2008. Nothing. I hate to say this because it's really only a reflection on my own weakness for sour grapes, but it's good to see the BP get their just deserts after the scam they pulled on me last year.

It never had to end like that.

Welcome to the real world, folks.

Newspapers are falling into the "sunset industry" category, so get used to it. (Google James Murdoch)

For those who still subcribe? You want a Dom Perignon product for the price of a bottle of Beer chang? Do you know anything about advertising rates and content or the miserable salaries paid to editorial staff? Cough up 200 baht a copy if you want to criticise.

Welcome to the real world, folks.

Newspapers are falling into the "sunset industry" category, so get used to it. (Google James Murdoch)

For those who still subcribe? You want a Dom Perignon product for the price of a bottle of Beer chang? Do you know anything about advertising rates and content or the miserable salaries paid to editorial staff? Cough up 200 baht a copy if you want to criticise.

The Economist (weekly) is about Bt 9,500 for a year (I forget exactly and too lazy to check but that's about it, maybe 10,000 now).

So you want me to pay Bt 200 a day for a respectable comprehensive general circulation English language newspaper? I do recognize your point, understand and sympathize with it.

But let's see, that's Bt 200 x 365 =  OMG!!!

RIP BP.

I get the Post delivered daily and will continue to do so. I like the paper and it's a little like an old friend. I read it less and less and read more on-line, but since my dog is "paper-trained" I have to get a paper everyday.

I like it too..but i'm not there to buy it..remember the Chang ( elephant) dressed as Santa last year around this time??? signed: terminally cute

One bright early morning I was mobile enough to collect my copy of the Post from the delivery man. I took a quick glance and I noticed that the price had increased to 30 baht. I asked the delivery man when had the price been raised and he replied that very day. I handed the newspaper back to him and told him no more. I said that if the publishers didn't have the good manners and business sense to announce an increase before implementing it they could go forth and multiply. I think that others took the same view since I have not seen a newspaper delivery service in the locality for some time.

News from the BBC site and the purchase of a book(s) for Sudoku puzzles keep me happy.

:D Well they might do better in Hua Hin if we could get copies, in the main shipping mall we have 1 shop and 3 stalls that sell the BP, after 11.00 am you cannot get a copy, likewise in the 7-11 shops. :)

Similarly, In Chiang Rai, there are English language dailies only at downtown stands. If you're more than 200 meters from the epicenter of town, forget it (the one exception is the Bandu Market north of town). Less places are offering the dailies. It's understandable to some degree, as the Eng.lang dailies cost a lot more for the vendors (and customers) than Thai papers. The vendors have to pay for all copies, whether sold or not, and who, among customers, buys days-old newspapers? Simply stated, the vendors don't want to take a chance that all their papers might not sell. It's a reflection of lagging tourism numbers also, as there are a lot of vendor venues which would probably sell 30 papers on a good day, yet on a slow day, only sell 10 - so they'd be stuck with having to pay for those 20 papers that didn't sell. Their cost is about 20 baht/paper, = 400 baht.

They offered me a job just over a year ago. I accepted the job, and never heard back from them since Christmas Eve 2008. Nothing. I hate to say this because it's really only a reflection on my own weakness for sour grapes, but it's good to see the BP get their just deserts after the scam they pulled on me last year. It never had to end like that.

Interesting. I had a v. similar experience. Several years ago I submitted an offer of what I could write about for the Bkk Post on a regular basis. The wrote back, "yes, we're interested." A short while later I rec'd a response from someone there who said her boss appeared to no longer be interested. Granted, it was a blow to my ego, but their response could have been a bit more like a team looking for a good player. If I had a basketball team or a rock band, and needed a couple good players, I'd see what the best prospects could do, rather than slough them off as soon as they knock on the door. Incidentally, the same query letter sent to the Nation rec'd no response. So, comparatively, at least the Bkk Post cracked their door open a bit. The Nation didn't even do as much. Plus, the Post has reviewed books I've written - yet the Nation can't be bothered with such petty stuff as book reviews of Thai-based farang authors.

Here's are some unsolicited suggestions to the Bkk Post, .....and the Nation.

Quit trying to be so much like the Washington Post, and try to be more like a paper version of ThaiVisa.com.

Specifically: >>>> Have a classified ad section. Real classifieds, not just property, cars, and travel agencies. If you don't know what a real classified section looks like, take a glance at the back of any metropolitan newspaper in the US.

>>>> Cull down the help wanted section. It takes too much paper, and could be done with columns instead of large display ads.

>>>> Drop the full page ads which use tubs of colored ink. Car and Condo ads are the worst. All that toxic ink has to go somewhere - either burned or whatever, so we end up breathing or drinking it eventually. Disregard this statement if you've found a source for environmentally friendly ink.

>>>> More science and nature articles, including alternative power innovators, inventors, and people who are doing good deeds at grass roots level.

>>>> Combine the business sections and car sections, and trim them both down. Also, quit trying to make PR releases look like news. Each day, there's at least one large item about an electronic gizmo coming out of Japan, with a pretty girl holding it. Are those gizmo sellers paying full ad rates for that publicity?

>>>> More contests to encourage youngsters to excel and think innovatively. Ok, you might say Thai corps don't have such contests - well all the more reason to encourage such contests by giving free ad space for such. We're talking competitions for innovations with practical applications - not contests to see who has the whitest skin or looks the most like an Asian Barbie.

>>>> Make it easier for vendors to sell your product. As it is, there are many places which could sell multiple copies of your newspapers, yet they're either sold out within 30 minutes of getting the daily copies, or they don't have an arrangement to get the papers to stock. Example: Mae Sai border crossing. There's one tiny shop far from the border that has a few daily copies, but that's it. Every day, hundreds of farang go to Mae Sai for the border crossing, yet the 7-11 closest to the crossing has zero copies of either the Bkk Post or the Nation. That one shop alone could sell 30 to 60 Eng.lang. newspapers per day. That's just one of dozens of examples just for the northernmost region of Thailand.

If the Bkk Post or the Nation aren't selling enough papers, then they ought to get motivated sales directors who can think outside the box.

Edited by brahmburgers

The numbers are a direct reflection of the lack of tourists in hotel rooms over the past year.

No tourists - no need to hang the post on the door.

Funny how there are no flight bookings down to Samui or Phuket,

because almost ever seat is taken both directions. BA, Air Asia and Nok, not a place.

One 9,000 baht one way place held for the stupid or desperate by the avaricious bookers.

Funny how last night's visited hotel was fully booked and turning people away

and people asked me on the street where to find a friend a room.

Place is so new it doesn't even have a sign up yet, but fully booked.

Seems high season is higher than some seem to think.

Edited by animatic

PS i have not read their respective online editions either. Indeed Thaivisa is my main source of news

Yes, Thaivisa is pretty good, isn't it? I never considered it, but it's my main source of news also. I often find that 'Breaking news' banner useful and I often read things on TV that I've seen on the TV or in Thai newspapers, but can't understand (I'm still very much in the process of learning Thai!)

I think the decline in BKPost's readership is reflective of what's going on everywhere. But in the case of this newspaper, I feel fleeced whenever I buy it as it's so low on content and seems to just reprint stories from other newspapers. I'm better off reading online content.

However, for how much longer will online news be free? not long I think.

I think I'm fairly typical of foreigners in Thailand, as I read Western-based online news and rely on it. I'd be willing to pay for continued access service. It's on the horizon...

PS i have not read their respective online editions either. Indeed Thaivisa is my main source of news

Yes, Thaivisa is pretty good, isn't it? I never considered it, but it's my main source of news also. I often find that 'Breaking news' banner useful and I often read things on TV that I've seen on the TV or in Thai newspapers, but can't understand (I'm still very much in the process of learning Thai!)

I think the decline in BKPost's readership is reflective of what's going on everywhere. But in the case of this newspaper, I feel fleeced whenever I buy it as it's so low on content and seems to just reprint stories from other newspapers. I'm better off reading online content.

However, for how much longer will online news be free? not long I think.

I think I'm fairly typical of foreigners in Thailand, as I read Western-based online news and rely on it. I'd be willing to pay for continued access service. It's on the horizon...

Well, that praise will be music to George's ears but I'm going to to take the liberty of posting a slightly critical but (I hope) constructive comment to both the above members - and to anyone else who sees it as relevant to them. On ThaiVisa, in terms of news articles, you will generally see only what a very few (occasionally including myself) select to post - and even that from a restricted list of available options. To put it mildly, that can only provide a view not much better (i.e. broader, more varied) than squinting through a letter-box slit rather than opening the door and looking outside. I'll freely admit to being something of a news junkie - for more years than I care to admit - and don't delude myself by thinking that my interests (let alone views) would/should be adopted by others. But, for those interested to see rather more than just that ThaiVisa restricted "view through the letter-box", there are many options out there. Tastes and readiness to explore will vary, but I listed some of them previously at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3178813

I used to subscribe to the Bangkok Post - having been cajoled by a salesman into signing up for a promotion. In practice, I didn't regularly read enough of it to justify the expense or the accumulation of so much waste paper. I now go out to buy it only on Wednesdays for the "Database" IT/computing section (not fully reproduced online). Here in Chiang Mai, it arrives late morning/lunchtime - and it's something of a lottery as to getting to an outlet to find it either hasn't arrived yet or is already sold out.

Edited by Steve2UK

Like Bangkok Post, The nation is also loosing money.

http://www.set.or.th/set/companyhighlight....&country=US

"The Nation* loosing money"? :D

It looks like NMG* (of which The Nation is a part) is dying.... :)

Those financial facts are serious trouble; I can't make anything else of it.

If you didn't make any profit since 2005 but loosing money all the time you're in big trouble and close to "Intensive Care".

* The Nation is part of: NMG : NATION MULTIMEDIA GROUP PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED

Apart from that: it's almost next to impossible to publish an English newspaper, whether the Bangkok Post or The Nation, with a maximum circulation of around 50-70,000 and make it profitable at the same time.

The circulation is absurd low, especially in a country with 66 Million people and a mere -maximum- 3 to 4 million native English speaking tourists on a yearly basis (the rest doesn't read English newspapers) who "might" be interested buying a newspaper; most don't, so the circulation is depending on Expats and middle to upper class Native English speaking Thai.

Impossible to publish it profitable. I'm curious how much longer the Board of NMG will continue to publish The Nation...same-same for Bangkok Post :D

They will HAVE to DO something; the general worldwide trend is that important publishers will ask money in the future to have access to their (printed or online) content.

If they will succeed is the question, which will be answered in 5-10 years. Many papers will have died.

LaoPo

Like the previous post, newspaper price going up, newspaper content is pitiful, and too many advertisements. Now I rely on this web page for news. Granted not as much as the newspaper but at least there are varied opinions about what is happening here in the LOS. I know there are limits to what the Thaivisa web page can put out but at least with other readers comments, more accuracy. Keep it up ThaiVisa. You have my vote and best wishes that you keep up the good work.

looks like they are hit by the Twitters too!

Future for printed "News" will be more than bleak!

"Who want's yesterday's paper?" on "Between the Buttons" Album by The Rolling Stones -

20 January 1967, in the United Kingdom and 11 February 1967, in the United States !

Maybe I read the article wrong, but the biggest drop is on bulk sales and newsagents.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess those two tend to cater for tourists from abroad?

I seem to remember the decline of tourism was around that mark

Edited by hansnl

I also fondly remember the Bangkok Post from 20 years ago and used to read it daily when I was in Bangkok, these days I don't live near shops selling it so tend to browse online.

It's competitor The Nation is an insult to the intelligence, fortunately it does find readers that are incapable of being insulted. Interesting that it is the main source of information here, but will resiost the temptation to eleborate, lets just say TV knows its audience.

Please, do eleborate!

That said, one day I read the Bangkok Post, the other day I read The Nation

In reality, I don't see very much difference.

They are both not suitable to compete for the much coveted "Newspaper Of The Year" title.

So, please feel free to substitute BP for TN in your quip.

Please, do eleborate!

He can't: banned.

LaoPo

Ya but I want to know how many readers their website lost due to incredibly slow loading times, up to 20 minutes a page. It has better writing than the Nation, yet I can't read it anymore. Disappointing.

Must be you. Mine never takes even 20 seconds to load.

20 seconds...

phetaroi

Ya but I want to know how many readers their website lost due to incredibly slow loading times, up to 20 minutes a page. It has better writing than the Nation, yet I can't read it anymore. Disappointing.

Must be you. Mine never takes even 20 seconds to load.

20 seconds...

phetaroi

Link doesn't work.

LaoPo

:D Well they might do better in Hua Hin if we could get copies, in the main shipping mall we have 1 shop and 3 stalls that sell the BP, after 11.00 am you cannot get a copy, likewise in the 7-11 shops.

:)

why you think it's called bangkok post? :D:D

An earlier comment asked about figures for The Nation. None are available because The Bangkok Post is the only newspaper in Thailand with an independently audited circulation. There are several magazines which also undergo a similar audit, one of which is Reader's Digest Thailand.

Another post mentioned getting news online. I don't think many people are aware that both English daily newspapers have stopped putting all their news online. It's been the case for some months now, just as some stories only ever appear online.

An earlier comment asked about figures for The Nation. None are available because The Bangkok Post is the only newspaper in Thailand with an independently audited circulation. There are several magazines which also undergo a similar audit, one of which is Reader's Digest Thailand.

Another post mentioned getting news online. I don't think many people are aware that both English daily newspapers have stopped putting all their news online. It's been the case for some months now, just as some stories only ever appear online.

Correct and it's a trend for the future.

Newspapers circulations are spiraling down dramatically and the companies who publish them are searching for ways to protect themselves and will more and more ask money (paid subscriptions, also online) for their (expensive) content.

Internet has been growing in the past decade so overwhelmingly fast that it resulted in declining circulations for newspapers, all over the world, and THAT is a trend, not just for the Bangkok Post.

It would be silly to believe that The Nation would not "feel" the decline and I assume the circulation is also not more than maybe 50-60.000, daily, maximum.

LaoPo