Need suggestions about visa for my non-thai g/f

Hi gang,

I'm very glad to find this forum. I'm Thai though I need suggestions about Thai-Visa for my Non-Thai girlfriend. I have been studying and living in USA for 7 years. I have done my degrees, and about to leave back to my country. However, my girlfriend who will be my future wife is not Thai. I have been searching around for info on web! This would be the best website that I can find info (even better than ThaiEmassy Website).

Actually, we plan to get married in Thailand, around 4-6 months after arriving the Bangkok. But I would like to hear everyone suggestions!

1. Should we get married (get married certificate) before applying any visa?

1. What type of Visa should she apply (in case of before/after getting married to me)?  (what is the best to worst visa type for her case?)

2. How long time this visa last?

3. Is it possible to extend the visa without leaving the country?

4. She might have to work in Thailand as well. Can she apply for a work permit inside Thailand? (I have read the thaivisa.com web but got confused for something!)

5. I understand that after three years of staying in Thailand, my girlfriend should be able to apply permanent residence status in Thailand. Is it correct?

Please give any comments or suggests about what shold we do. I would really love to be a person in this community. If anything that I can help, I'll try my best. Thank you very much!

Hi so_ho,

I'm not the expert, so hopefully someone else can correct anything I get wrong.

1. Marry in USA first?  This is pretty much up to you:

(a) Your girlfriend (presumably U.S. citizen) could enter Thailand on an automatic 30-day stamp (no visa application required), and do border runs every month (or every 40 days if you extend the stamp) until you are ready to marry in Thailand.  Marriage in Thailand may be cheaper and "more romantic" than marriage in the States, depending on your personal opinion.  Marriages in Thailand are recognized by the U.S. as long as you follow some simple guidelines, the details of which the embassy or consulate can provide for you.

(:o You could marry in the U.S. first, then your wife could apply for a "spouse visa," better known as a non-immigrant class O, before entering Thailand.  One-year validity multiple-entry visas are easily obtained from the Thai consulates in the U.S.

2.  What type of visa?  At some point she will need a non-immigrant visa, either class O or class B (more on this later).

3. Non-immigrant multiple-entry visas have a validity of one year.  However, one is allowed 90 days per entry -- meaning one generally has to leave Thailand and re-enter every 90 days.

4. I believe you can extend 90 day stamps up to a month, but if you have a multiple-entry visa there's really not much point.  Technically, it's illegal to use a visa service to send your passport to the border to be stamped, but it can be done.

5. Work permit?  This I don't know much about.  I have a feeling you have to have either residency or a class B visa in order to work.  One generally does not apply for a work permit.  This company who hires one will handle the work permit paperwork.  Someone else would have to answer questions regarding the differences in long-term strategies between class O and class B visas -- such as, is it possible to work on a class O visa, or is it possible to obtain residency status on a class B visa?

6. Permanent residence?  Yes and no.  You have to stay in Thailand with a special kind of visa in order to do this.  After you are married, your wife should enter Thailand on a class O visa.  Then you can see immigration in Thailand and get a special "support" visa that will allow your wife to stay in Thailand for a full year.  This "support" visa will have to be renewed every year for three consecutive years, and a re-entry permit will have to be obtained before leaving Thailand.  When one stays in Thailand for three years on this kind of visa, one is eligible for permanent residence status.  The residency booklet offers similar privelages as having a work permit -- such as the ability to work and own certain vehicles.

By the way, has your girlfriend been to Thailand before?

Chuck

Bring your US g/f to the nearest Thai consulate in the US and explain the situation. Worst case would be a double entry Tourist visa, which will take her 6 months forward (incl. extensions).

If the consul is sober, :o , he might give her a Non-Immigrant O visa, and that can be anything from single (90 days) to one year multiple entry (visa run every 90 days).  Try to convince them to give her a multi.

Leave the work permit issue for the time beeing. That would require a NON-B visa and could accomplish the case if you try that now.

As the former posters say, the multiple "O" would be the best option. I understand that she is a US citizen, so it should not be that hard to get it.

It doesn't matter if you marry in the US or not, she can not get any better than a Multi "O" anyway.

Hi so_ho

Here are some more info you may find helpful.

I am married to a Thai man. I arrived in Thailand with a tourist visa. After the wedding (in Thailand), I applied for a non-immigrant visa type "O". It is usually easier to get in this case (ie farang wife + Thai husband) than the other way round. This is partly due to the fact that it is you (Thai) and not your farang spouse that need a proof of work (which can be discussed easily with some tact with the immigration officer!). In addition, when your wife get non-immigrant visa type "O", she can apply for a work permit (no need to have type"B" visa).

Del.

Dear dr_Pat_Pong,

Sorry to interfere, but why on earth should a farang with a Thai spouse should have a non-immigrant type"B"? With a non-immigrant type "O", one can apply for a work permit. I speak from experience.

If anyone with similar background could add her comment, it would be very welcome.

Del.