Real Or Rogue Antivirus: System Defend Antivirus 2010

welo

Just had to fix a small problem on a friend's computer and stumbled over a new Antivirus Product installed by the Thai shop that had originally setup the computer.

System Defend Antivirus 2010

http://www.preedasoftware.com/

Can't find hardly any 3rd party info on this antivirus software on the internet, so I assume it's either a hoax (rogue-ware) or just a product limited to the Thai market (maybe licensing one of the major antivirus engines).

Couldn't run more tests on the computer due to time constraints.

I'd rather opt for the rogue-ware...

Any ideas?

welo

It's a virus. It goes under many different names and guises. Don't expect NOD32 to pick it up, it usually doesn't. Also, it's hard to get rid of because it often disables almost everything including task manager. Thai people seem to download this one a lot, usually from the popular sites such as kapook ... [click on a dancing teddy bear for a free gift ....]

@lopburi

The name is correct, at least this is what shows up inside the program and on the webpage. But since it is probably hoax/malware anyway the name could change any day :) Look at the screenshots on the linked website.

@stolidfeline

I know what you mean. Disabling Task Manager, Removing Folder Options from explorer menu, and disable 'Show hidden files and folders'. The computer didn't show any of those signs though.

Thanks for your input, guys!

I am 99% sure it is malware. And even if not, it is probably crapware :D Developing and maintaining a good antivirus solution is nothing trivial, so even if this is a real product (which I doubt) it is probably not very effective.

Will ask the laptop owner where they got it from, but since the windows install was 'fresh' (modified 'truefaster' windows xp) I suppose it was installed at the shop.

welo

It's a virus. It goes under many different names and guises. Don't expect NOD32 to pick it up, it usually doesn't. Also, it's hard to get rid of because it often disables almost everything including task manager. Thai people seem to download this one a lot, usually from the popular sites such as kapook ... [click on a dancing teddy bear for a free gift ....]

It’s actually a Trojan horse, please download AVG, the free version, or avast home use. I’m running both on my PC and my notebook without any problems. If you install avast (www.avast.com ) it will ask you for a system check before it’s even running. Good luck!!! Happy New Year.

post-39518-1262346271_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just for the record, I finally had a chance to have a closer look at the laptop (it took some time 'cause a hardware issue had to be fixed before) and it was heavily infected with trojans and viruses.

welo

• 1 month later...
:D if your laptop get worst by mr.virus

CHECK this out

try this website

it may help :)

<a href="http://xxxx/">User Protection</a>

Mods! I would consider this a spam. 1st post, then not really related to the topic (what the heck is 'User Protection'), and referencing a website that has very poor rating on WOT - http://www.mywot.com/scorecard/spyware-review.net

welo