Scooter Licence

eek

Having rented for a while, I plan to now buy my own Scooter.

Would like to take the Thai driving test for riding a scooter.

Anyone know the details on this?

Where to go, and what is required? Written test?

Thanks!

I got mine over a year ago, had to start from scratch as no licence from home.

The traffic department is on the Hangdong road, right opposite the beginning of the runway.

Go there 8 a.m. and spend the day queuing up for this and that, do take something along to read.

You'll need your passport, photocopy of the data page, visa, last extension and last entry.

Doctor's certificate (takes 5 mins in any hospital, 60 baht or so)

Work permit, original and photocopy, if none, a residence certificate from immigration. I'm not sure but I guess if you are on someone's tabien baan, that works fine as well.

No photos needed.

Don't remember the exact costs, 300-something or so, including the smartcard.

There is a video in English about regulations and road signs, and the computer test is in English too. You need abut 80% to pass but it is not very difficult, just study the book about road signs in more detail after watching the one-hour video. No need to speak Thai.

Before that, you line up for testing colour recognition, depth perception, and reaction time / reflexes. If you fail, try again.

You'll need to take your own motorcycle for the driving test in the yard, they don't have any for rent.

They are really really helpful and there are other farangs around to rely on if you are stuck.

I got there at 8 and was out at 2.

The smartcard is useful because it works instead of a passport for identification purposes, also helps getting the Thai price in national parks etc. You get a temporary licence for the first year, and then a 5-year one after that expires, which can be used all over the region as well, and can be converted into an international licence to be used in Europe or the US.

Edited by Firelily

Thanks so much Firelily! Grateful for such a detailed reply.

----

Im not quite sure how to go about getting a residency certificate. I have been renting an apartment for the last 3 years, but only recently obtained a non-imm o visa. I can just go to immigration and request one? That would be my home country immigration/consulate or Thai Immigration? (Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question!)

eekers, I think CM Imm is offering Certificates of Residence.

They offered them free for a while, then stopped offering them altogether...then started again. Far as I know they're doing them still.

I believe the price is 500 B. You need a copy of your lease agreement, a letter from your landlord (stating that Khun Eek lives at X residence), and a copy of the person who signed the above letter's national ID card. Also 2 photos, 2.5 X 2.5 cm.

You can get something similar at the various consulates here, but the price is quite a bit more.

Good Luck!

My friend got a residency certificate a couple of months ago from Immigration. Not sure about the price, but you need rental contract, plus photocopy of the landlord's ID, plus photocopy of landlord's tabien baan. The document displayed either ID or tabien baan but it turned out in practice they want both. Or who knows, maybe the official was just being grumpy.

I just got a Residency Certificate last week. The requirements were:

passport

copy of passport, visa, and departure card

rental contract

photos (2)

500 baht

That's it. Without a rental contract then I would have needed a letter from my landlord and maybe other documents. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

Again, thanks so much.

Quick question please, do i just go along to Immigration at any time? Or should it be in the afternoon after all the visa extensions and 90 day sign-ins etc are finished.

Also...Is it the same place or a different building? Just the regular Imm place next to the airport right?

Just want to make sure! :)

With immigration it should be a different kiosk from the extensions and reports, but best not to get there too late anyway. They go kin khao between 12 and 1 btw.

When I did the test, it was 20 multiple choice questions and you needed to get at least 14 right before moving onto the practical. They show a video beforehand which explains all and also have a book in English. Some weird questions in there, such as if you have red plates, when can you drive? Between 6 and 6, dawn to dusk, or... the answer is dawn to dusk (sunrise-sunset). Also a very strange one regards hand signals when riders want to turn right. Just keep an eye on the vid :)

Thanks Jackr!

Ive been doing a little hunting online, and others have mentioned what you said about some weird questions being in there..even some that seemed completely illogical!

Any tips people have on the theory stuff would be great. I realise i can go back and retake, but would be good to get it all sorted in the same day.

If you fail, they let you retake it, and retake it...until you pass.

God Bless Thailand....

Disclaimer: I had a valid US driver license, so didn't have to take the written test, just the depth/colour/reaction time tests.

But there was a farang guy there on his 3rd go-around on the written bit. Done on computer in the corner of the big test room towards the back.

I'm sure he eventually passed...

Quick question please, do i just go along to Immigration at any time? Or should it be in the afternoon after all the visa extensions and 90 day sign-ins etc are finished.

Also...Is it the same place or a different building? Just the regular Imm place next to the airport right?

Same place, same building, but you'll go to the last window. They don't do extensions and 90 day reports at that window so it should not matter what time you go. i didn't need to get one of the numbers from the machine.

Same place, same building, but you'll go to the last window. They don't do extensions and 90 day reports at that window so it should not matter what time you go. i didn't need to get one of the numbers from the machine.

Just as an adder to that Eek, the form that you will need to fill out is in a holder at that last window. I filled mine out at the window, and handed the paperwork straight in. He said take a seat and I'll call your name in 10 minutes, he did, and 500 baht later I was gone. :)

For written test, I did not have US motorcycle license so had to take.

I did not study anything beforehand or watch any videos. Took the test first time and failed. It told me correct answers. Took again immediately and passed.

Dont you love Thailand ,you fail and they give you the answers so you get it right next time.I guess you can keep doing it until you get it right. However well done but be careful out there its a jungle.