How Long Until We Start To See The Good Beer?

Meridian007

Yesterday was the date that the alcohol tariffs within ASEAN were set to be removed, so that should mean that we could be seeing an increase in Beer Lao, ABC (I can't wait for their stout!), and brands from other ASEAN countries. I wonder how long it will take? Are there any bar owners here who have plans to increase the range of your alcohols now that they should be on par or cheaper than the Thai brands?

I think this will be a big test for ASEAN, the populations of each country can be patriotic about their libations, and this might push the boundaries of people's perceptions of "non-interference", on which ASEAN was founded. If they can get past this with a minimum of fuss (which I hope they will), maybe there is hope for this union to at least cement itself as a successful trade union.

For myself, I think I'll stick to my Thai whiskey, but I can't wait for access to better beers. Thailand is okay when it comes to whiskey, but their beer leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully this will push them to improve their beer rather than attempting some underhanded way of putting the other ASEAN beers at a disadvantage.

I almost forgot, there are articles out there discussing the topic, I found one on the Nation here.

Edited by Meridian007

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

long distance transport is expensive and promotion of a new brand on the market takes time and a lot of efford. Surely, there would be a market nishe shortly, but to really bring the price down you need to import large quantities.

Well hopefully there will be a few coming back.

I have heard that Strongbow is coming back in the New Year after an absence of about a year :D , never really like the alternatives that have come in Westons and Stowford :) .

Also heard that Carlsberg may well come back as well :D

Anyway, let's see what the comittment is , I suspect that protectionist policies will remain in place in some form or another.

I asked about Beer Lao in Tesco and a couple of restaurants in Jomtien which display Beer Lao signs outside. All three answers were the same: "We used to stock it but it didnt sell as nobody liked it".

Sadly, there is no escaping the fact that the Asian taste (or lack of...) for beer is not the same as ours...so dont expect miracles on this front.

Strangely all the places mentioned as stockists on the Beer Lao Pattaya website appear to be gay bars. I am personally not prepared to go that far to get it!!

Don't know about imported beers but the 'Excise' increase was applied on packaged domestic beers around here last Monday??? Up 10 Baht for a box of larger Leo. My local vendor told me that the wholesalers upped their price as soon as it was announced rather than wait till the 1st Jan. ---- Effin thieving <deleted>.

While I doubt it will happen, I'd love to be able to pick up a case of ABC Stout from the local Makro. If the tensions continue between here and Cambodia, I doubt that an FTA will have the power to increase trade from Cambo. It would be nice tho... :)

As for the long distance transport being expensive, I'm sure most of us would be happy to travel to a

border town to stock up on the beer Lao :D .

" Would you like to go the market darling " :D

" No thanks honey --- they are all the same & you know I really don't like walking endlessly around markets!!"

:)

While the import costs can be expensive, they are much better for countries within the ASEAN region rather than outside of it. If the tariffs are truly removed, there shouldn't be that much more overhead cost for transport if the volume is high enough. From that, the domestic beers should have a slight edge, but there seems to be a taxation discrepancy against domestics (surprisingly, and if I believe the Nation's article), that may hurt their ability to compete. With tariff removal, the prices should be similar within the classifications of economy, standard, and premium beers.

Well, I'm off to meet an old friend today at one of the better pubs downtown, I'll ask the owner if he has heard anything yet about better import options.

If I remember correctly, the last time I was in Cambodia, a can of ABC stout was about 60 Baht (maybe less). My pint (or two) of Guinness today will be around 300-350 Baht/pint. The Guinness is better than the ABC stout, but if ABC were available, I know I'd be drinking stout a lot more! (sorry, I can't do a comparison with a Thai beer, I don't usually drink them, and there is no stout)

Edited by Meridian007

I must be the only farang who doesn't get on with Beer Lao..it gives me an upset stomache/wind/low sicky feeling... everytime..and believe me its been a few times especially as my mates have raved about it and when i go to Laos of course..

I like the choice of Leo or Heineken..... cheap night Leo can get smashed on 4 deffo 5 bottles.. feeling a little hi-so and Heineken for a crisper sharper beer taste..

long distance transport is expensive and promotion of a new brand on the market takes time and a lot of efford. Surely, there would be a market nishe shortly, but to really bring the price down you need to import large quantities.

transportation is these days almost nothing. But promotion is it. Beer Lao definitely has a bad name for selling in Thailand, but I think many countries also have their locally brewed German and British beers.....

There was an article in the Bangkok Post today that implied there were some tariff mechanisms that countries could still do under the Treaty to limit import competition. It's really hard to figure out what's what without some good journalism in English.

There was an article in the Bangkok Post today that implied there were some tariff mechanisms that countries could still do under the Treaty to limit import competition. It's really hard to figure out what's what without some good journalism in English.

This article (I read one in the nation before couldn't find that in BKKpost) sounds like there is a tax on imported alcohol which is not an import tax.

But that does not seem logic. What I understand is that there will be an additional tax on all beers.

But who knows....

I live close to the border and have a good connection on Beer Lao. The problem is that it cost 885 baht per case (small bottles of 24) or 65 baht per bottle (6 bottles for 325 baht) so I truly hope that ASEAN keeps its word.

I really do not think that this agreement will affect Thai beer consumption. Most Thais would not be caught with ABC, Beer Lao, or any other "import" outside of maybe Heineken. hel_l, I don't even know many Thais who drink Chang or Archa unless they are doing so discreetly along the klong somewhere.

Boon Rawd (through very crafty marketing skills) has a way of making Thais feel like "anti nationalists" if they are not drinking their product. :)

I live close to the border and have a good connection on Beer Lao. The problem is that it cost 885 baht per case (small bottles of 24) or 65 baht per bottle (6 bottles for 325 baht) so I truly hope that ASEAN keeps its word.

I really do not think that this agreement will affect Thai beer consumption. Most Thais would not be caught with ABC, Beer Lao, or any other "import" outside of maybe Heineken. hel_l, I don't even know many Thais who drink Chang or Archa unless they are doing so discreetly along the klong somewhere.

Boon Rawd (through very crafty marketing skills) has a way of making Thais feel like "anti nationalists" if they are not drinking their product. :)

Well if they rename Beer Lao into Beer USA or Beer Germany than it might sell good.

But I would love to have Bin Tang (spelling??) from Indonesia.

Beer Lao tastes fantastic in Lao, but horrible in Thailand. I guess it's the preservatives they use, does anybody think the same as this?

Sorry, slightly off topic... :)

I always thought beer in Thailand tastes good unless I came here full time.

Maybe it is something like on holidays beer taste better???

I have had beer Lao and I have had beer Lao. Sometimes it is very good and sometimes it is very bad. Why? I have no idea but a consistent tasting beer is always better.

When I go out with the beer drinking animals, I used to drink Heineken because that watery beer doesn't make me drunk. Unfortunately I have had so many skunky bottles of Heineken that I have totally quit drinking it.

Leo has always been pretty consistent so that is my beer of choice.

Beer Lao tastes fantastic in Lao, but horrible in Thailand. I guess it's the preservatives they use, does anybody think the same as this?

I think that beer made under license in Thailand is horrible. (Heineken is a good example) with the exception of Asahi. Beer Lao in Thailand comes right over the border with tax stamp. Personally, I cannot tell the difference.

I have had beer Lao and I have had beer Lao. Sometimes it is very good and sometimes it is very bad. Why? I have no idea but a consistent tasting beer is always better.

When I go out with the beer drinking animals, I used to drink Heineken because that watery beer doesn't make me drunk. Unfortunately I have had so many skunky bottles of Heineken that I have totally quit drinking it.

Leo has always been pretty consistent so that is my beer of choice.

I know from my childhood holidays in Yugoslavia that sometimes the beer is good when it is fresh and never came into the sun.

The beer is bad when the truck brought it and it was in the direct sun and heat for all the day.

Definitely age is a point. If it may get old it get a fruity taste.

UV light is a point (that is the reason why beer is in brown bottles)

heat of course.

All these effects are as more as more protein is in the beer.

I once met a salesguy for the chemical additive while diving and he told me in Thailand ever time the produce a beer it is different.

So 1.000.000 different reasons why it taste good one time and the other time not.

I think that beer made under license in Thailand is horrible. (Heineken is a good example) with the exception of Asahi. Beer Lao in Thailand comes right over the border with tax stamp. Personally, I cannot tell the difference.

I recall different taste of Heineken in Austria than in Thailand. Is that just me or is it really different??

I recall different taste of Heineken in Austria than in Thailand. Is that just me or is it really different??

I actually like Heineken. The Heineken in the States is brewed and bottled (or canned) in Holland. I think that when it is made under license the quality control may be lacking and it is my understanding that different water used will produce a different taste. Sorry for being off topic. :D

Edited by mizzi39

Why is BL so expensive?

First off, what is it about lao beer? I tried it and it is OK, nothing special and in fact rather lacks taste.

Second, I doubt the family groups that hold a strangle hold on the beer market here have any desire to play fair. They know the swill they bottle would never hold up to an open market. Remember Carlsberg anyone? They just got a little to popular.

While the import costs can be expensive, they are much better for countries within the ASEAN region rather than outside of it. If the tariffs are truly removed, there shouldn't be that much more overhead cost for transport if the volume is high enough. From that, the domestic beers should have a slight edge, but there seems to be a taxation discrepancy against domestics (surprisingly, and if I believe the Nation's article), that may hurt their ability to compete. With tariff removal, the prices should be similar within the classifications of economy, standard, and premium beers.

Well, I'm off to meet an old friend today at one of the better pubs downtown, I'll ask the owner if he has heard anything yet about better import options.

If I remember correctly, the last time I was in Cambodia, a can of ABC stout was about 60 Baht (maybe less). My pint (or two) of Guinness today will be around 300-350 Baht/pint. The Guinness is better than the ABC stout, but if ABC were available, I know I'd be drinking stout a lot more! (sorry, I can't do a comparison with a Thai beer, I don't usually drink them, and there is no stout)

Not so sure that they are directly comparable since they are totally different styles of stouts. ABC Stout is more similar to what Guinness sells under the brand name "Guinness Foreign Extra Stout" in cans/bottles in Malaysia and Singapore than to the draft pints of Guinness served in Thai pubs. The draft beer might be sourced from Malaysia too (not sure if it is) but it's not the same as what they bottle Malaysia & Singapore, it's more similar to the cans w/N2 widgets imported from Ireland that are branded as "Guinness Draught". The difference is not just that the stuff in cans and on draft is pubs is pressurized with Nitrogen (though that will change the taste of the beer a lot), the draft/draught stuff is also and about 4 % to 5% alchohol versus 7 to 8% for the ABC Stout.

Well if they rename Beer Lao into Beer USA or Beer Germany than it might sell good.

But I would love to have Bin Tang (spelling??) from Indonesia.

Maybe the Thais would be more receptive to it under one of those names, but its appeal among Westerners its born from tales of travelers to Laos of a stellar beer from a little known & exotic land. The tales have similarities to early explorers in the Himalaya returning with tales of Shangra-La, or to tales of Durian brought home by present day SE Asia visitors. I suspect that if those same travelers had encountered a beer that taste exactly the same as Beer Lao in Brighton or Newark instead of Laos that it wouldn't have made such an impression on them. I liked the Beer Lao too when I visited Laos a few years ago, but I'd have to say that I've been less than impressed with when I've subsequently tried it in Thailand. Maybe it just doesn't travel or store well, but if that the case, that's a bigger liability than it having excise taxes.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Personally i would rather be drinking German wheat or dark beer which I do treat myself to from time to time, but my budget limits this little pleasure.

What one likes in beer (or anything for that matter) comes down to personal taste. I don't think that there is one beer in Asia that would be considered "world class", but this is just my personal opinion (and taste) so I make due with what is available and affordable.

Here in the LOS I try to find beer that is not only easy on my wallet but easy on my body. I think that a beer like Beer Lao, San Miguel, and Asahi are the "lesser evils" when it comes to beer consumption. Fortunately I am not a beer snob, so I will not refuse any beer that is offered :D except Cheers Beer. :)