Where Can I Find Classic Novels In Translation?

bangon04

Recently found on a shelf in a bookshop, the complete Sherlock Holmes (2 copies even), but I was looking for Christmas Carol translated into Thai. Abridged version will do. Where would I find the best selection of classic novels translated into Thai? Of course I have already read all the biographies of Thaksin, the How to make a Million self help books, the trashy Korean yoof love novels and the Chinese Horoscopes, as well as the Manga comics and the badly spelled/spelt children's readers - Q is for Qeen, etc.

Before i go on to the Thai Cookery Books, Interior Design for Dreamers, Computer Skills for People with lots of free time, and of course the many shelves of "Ruined by a Bar Girl" , I wanted something lighthearted, like a bit of Dickens......

Anyone know a one-stop bookshop with the best choice? Thanks

Your post is confusing. I gather that you are a native speaker of Englsh, but part of your post seems to imply that you are looking for books by Thai authors, or at least on topics where foreigners would have no particular expertise.

When you go into any bookshop in Thailand (except those targeted at foreigners), you will see many books with English-language covers. But, once you get beyond the cover, the book is in Thai.

Your post is confusing. I gather that you are a native speaker of Englsh, but part of your post seems to imply that you are looking for books by Thai authors, or at least on topics where foreigners would have no particular expertise.

When you go into any bookshop in Thailand (except those targeted at foreigners), you will see many books with English-language covers. But, once you get beyond the cover, the book is in Thai.

I too would like to get an answer to this question...I found the original query highly amusing! Yes, I would like to introduce my Thai gf to ANY English language novel. It does seem to me that so-called "Thai culture" (unlike that of many other Asian nations) has no concept of what "the novel" means (other than the penny romance type of crap). Is there in fact, does anyone know, such a thing as "The Thai novel"????? Of ANY century?

I too would like to get an answer to this question...I found the original query highly amusing! Yes, I would like to introduce my Thai gf to ANY English language novel. It does seem to me that so-called "Thai culture" (unlike that of many other Asian nations) has no concept of what "the novel" means (other than the penny romance type of crap). Is there in fact, does anyone know, such a thing as "The Thai novel"????? Of ANY century?

Just to add something to my post above: James Joyce's Ulysses, one of the more difficult novels of the last century (especially when it comes to translation) has been translated into Japanese, Chinese, Korean, but not Thai. Does this tell us anything about Thai culture?

My OP was asking about European/American Classic novels in translation. I was surprised to see Sherlock Holmes complete memoirs on the shelf, but maybe this is to coincide with the movie currently in the cinemas. So where can i find Christmas Carol ( a remake of this movie was in the cinemas recently).

It is easy to find Classic novels in English in the large bookshops, but so far I have not found the same books in translation.

In a bookshop under the heading "Thai Classic Novel" I usually find ghost story of the week, or Korean teenage love story of the week.

• 4 weeks later...