Visa run to myanmar

Guest IT Manager

Guest IT Manager

I have just completed a 4 day run to Yangon or Rangoon. Got a 3 month non-immigrant B, single entry. Whilst this is a pain in the arse in some ways, it was an interesting trip, and one I look forward to repeating.

Much easier process than Vientianne, though it means staying a few nights because of Air Manadalay's scheduled flights into and out of Chiang Mai.

I have written the trip up for information here

IT, did they make you change $200?  I had been told by a few this had been stopped, but they were giving second hand info.  I stopped going and buying there partly beacause of the FEC deal.  Was to much of a hassle changing it back at a decent rate before I left.  I just did not have the time to chase around to find a good black market rate.  Was a time you could give $10 and not have to do it but they started cracking down on the girls changing the money.

Last time I heard, the $200 FEC change had stopped after the FEC crashed to 400 kyats and no where accepted them (even the hotels)

Now it has parity with the dollar nearly, but I will check for you guys tomorrow.

./P

No still not doing it phazey.

They said they were going to start again with the advent of the tourist season (Oct-May).  To date it still isn't being done.

(For those who are not familiar with Myanmar policy, all Foreign Independent Travellers, eg anyone not on a business visa or a package tour, are required to exchange USD$200 for FEC200 upon entry into the country, which can then be used to pay for tours, hotels, goods etc)

It stopped primarily due to major difference between black market exchange rates for $ and FEC led to the system being put on hold for a while, as the tourists (or any of us for that matter) weren't getting 1 for 1 value for our FEC.

This coupled with currency complications after the good ol' USA enforced their blind sanctions - from this time we were unable to use any credit cards, and transfers of money in to the country virtually ceased while the govt and businesses scrambled to change money transactions to Euros or SGD$.

So although the majority of us suffered with the financial system being thrown into disarray by the US sanctions - it meant the few tourists ambling through the gates didnt have to buy any mickey mouse currency for a change.  

Lucky for some, eh?

Thanks phazey and Sea.

I agree 100% with the US embargo nonsense, it totally screwed me up and cost me a small fortune in the process.  Not to mention it hurts the people more than it does the generals.  I am happy to see the FEC change though,  I would fly in on the morning flight and out on the evening flight and spending am hour trying to get more than 70% for my monopoly money.

Keep it real!

Guest IT Manager

As noted by Myanmar expats, the FEC nonsense is finished.

One thing about the run though, is that when you go looking for a non Im B 12 month multi, take your own tax records and those of your staff if you have any. That was the reason for my getting single entry only

I got knocked back for not having them. They gave me 3 months. I will go back in January with the tax stuff as well and re-try.

Consul is not there to rescue those knowingly breaking the law.

As for help. This guy has a soft heart and may help......

My American friend has overstayed his Visa by about 2-3 months, and owes the maximum fine to get out of LOS. He is also out of money. Can I pay his Visa costs from the USA?

A family member is willing to pay his flight back to the States, but is unwilling to pay the Visa fee, primarily because she doesn't know how to from the States.

ANY information as to how his fee can be paid from the USA, would be REALLY appreciated. Note that I've already gone to the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles, and they said that they wouldn't take a payment. Thank you ANYONE who will help!

ANY HELP IS WELCOME. I can be reached at [email protected]

[email protected]

Guest IT Manager

Try the US Consul. They should have  a way to transfer money to the Kingdom and then have them go and pay it. Alternatively, and I know this is weird coming from a Muslim with Buddhist leanings, find out about the prisons ministry.

If you want to PM me, and let me know where he is, I amy be able to get contact details for the ministry (as in christian ministry) visitor, who can pay it on his behalf, and in my opinion will do, though if needed Iw ill have to confirm that, with my friend.

This is an example of an 'OUTSTANDING' post. Thank-you Khun IT-Manager for your informative and logically presented post. I would commend it to anyone heading off to Rangoon.

Strangely enough, I agree that the people - at least the Burmar people - appear well-fed and happy. I also visited Mandalay and Pegan. And while it may be slightly disconcerting to have 15-year olds lugging AD-47, I didn't see them opening up on the populance.

Your observation that nightlife appears limited is superficially correct. I'll bet that your helpful taxi driver could have come up with something passably fair. Or the Bell Captain in the hotel? Worked for me; but, then again, I'm easy to please.

Your observation that nightlife appears limited is superficially correct. I'll bet that your helpful taxi driver could have come up with something passably fair. Or the Bell Captain in the hotel?

ah, Mr Ed!  ###### made but a fleeting visit (although he had the gracious hospitality of a good friend in Rangoon for a drink or two, cheers phazey!)

There is certainly a lot more to the nightlife than meets the eye in Yangon - in fact I enjoy the simplicity and feigned innocence of a night out on the town far more enjoyable than even LOS!  Intrepid Burma-bound travelers are welcome to PM questions about after-dark activities.

Being Island-marooned makes the nights out in the capital all the more enjoyable, on my random breaks away from the pearl farm...

:cool: