Samui Marathon

A certain farang is doing the rounds of the islands resorts seeking cash donations for a marathon to be held in April. Can anyone vouch for this event before we donate ? Don't wish to be a poor sucker !

That's my job. :)

"a certain farang" - One?

There are plenty of locals with bundles of envelopes, claiming to collect "donations" for some temple (Wat) anywhere... from Suratthani Province all the way to Chiang Mai, Yasothon, Si Muang Mai...

There was an Adventure Race last September organized by Accor/Ibis.

and there is a new Adventure race coming up in March also organized by Accor SouthEast Asia. The race will be held in Phuket. The money will be donated to YIM KIDS project. they have also a website.

The road marking in pai leam relate to the intraflash/vinotech event. They organised a fun run 5km and 10km on 2nd this month, i participated in the 5km, well organized although attendance was a little low perhaps due to advertising. I think they are doing a marathon in feb although again not seen it official advertised, not sure about an april thing might be another company. you'd have seek assurance - past events - contracts - (as a basic and crude thing) check they even have a company/work-permit - they are so many bullshitters on this island its unreal.

I had a visit this week from the guy asking for sponsorship money. I asked to see some papers but everything he had was in Thai so I couldn't read it.

He did show me a picture of a t-shirt he is getting made however.

I got the impression he was genuine and passionate about organising the event which he said would take place in Lamai, starting and finishing at Tesco.

I didn't give any money but said I was more than happy to help with the marketing side of things.

Don't organizers of marathons typically collect entrance fees from people who are signing up to participate in the race rather than solicit "donations" from uninterested parties?

I had a visit this week from the guy asking for sponsorship money. I asked to see some papers but everything he had was in Thai so I couldn't read it.

He did show me a picture of a t-shirt he is getting made however.

I got the impression he was genuine and passionate about organising the event which he said would take place in Lamai, starting and finishing at Tesco.

I didn't give any money but said I was more than happy to help with the marketing side of things.

Don't organizers of marathons typically collect entrance fees from people who are signing up to participate in the race rather than solicit "donations" from uninterested parties?

I may be wrong but it really does sound like a scam. Why solicit donations from farangs if your papers are in Thai? Normally, marathons aren't run from Jan to March. It's the high season and too damned hot!!! :)

I didn't realise you needed a work permit to take part in a charity maraton ! :)

Was referring to the guy asking for money.

But you are right, probably need work permit to participate.

From Department of labour:

"Work" means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

Edited by PoorSucker

The guy I talked to said the sponsership money was for the kids event he is organizing along with the marathon.

He said if he charged children to run he would not get enough kids involved in the race, fair enough I suppose.

But why not let them run for free?

The more I think about it, the more suspicious I get.

The guy I talked to said the sponsership money was for the kids event he is organizing along with the marathon.

He said if he charged children to run he would not get enough kids involved in the race, fair enough I suppose.

But why not let them run for free?

The more I think about it, the more suspicious I get.

Are you using the term "marathon" as it is defined in the sport of road racing, as a 42.2 Km race?

Children should not be running marathons at all. Even for teenage kids it's questionable, I've seen many promising high school cross-country runners step up to a marathon only to enter the territory of chronic injuries. Best to stick to 5K's and 10K's until you have some real career base mileage behind you.

• 3 weeks later...
I have just received this unsolicited email which may throw more light on the organisers

Greetings! - Get Involved!

You are cordially invited to join in the excitement of the Inaugural International Marathon on February 28th. This history-making event will be a three-day extravaganza with EXPOs, parties and the all-important full 42.2K and half 21.1K Marathons and a 5K walk/run!

The Tessa Ban, Municipal officials, Tourism Association of Koh Samui, many hotels, island services, TV and print media have all sanctioned and support this professionally organized event. This is only the first of many International activities planned by the renowned IntraFlash Event Company to bring attention and tourists to our tropical paradise. All proceeds will be donated to our local schools for sports' facilities and the Samui Rescue Foundation. There are several ways to Get Involved and give your support:

An Expo will be held for three days at the Boat House (the events' headquarters) giving you the opportunity to display and exhibit your products and services and give demonstrations.

There will be at least 22 Aid Stations on the three courses where you can display your banner with your message and logo, give support for the runners' needs and receive a great deal of media and spectator exposure.

You can be an Island Partner, which will include display banners, be included in all race brochures and literature, receive party tickets, and have website, TV and print media exposure world-wide and sponsoring an aid station.

For your participation:

#1 will be THB 5,000, #2 THB 10,000 and #3 is THB 15,000, which are fantastic opportunities for you! We need to have your positive response no later than February 15th 2010, for there are limited spaces available in each business category and we must be given time to do our commitments to you..with banners, the media, etc. GET INVOLVED! Join this Inaugural History-Making Event to bring excitement and crowds to Koh Samui and to support local charities. RESPOND TO: [email protected]

Wow! if the above is all true, I'm well impressed!!!

2 different events being discussed here...Feb. 28th event posters went up around Samui yesterday (30th)...its on for sure, the April run still seems to be 'coming together'

Where did you get the information about the Marathon in April in Samui?

As in my original post I got the info from the farang asking for sponsorship money

April is going to be steaming hot and doesn't sound like a good month to have a marathon. Feb sounds a lot better.

Looks like I'll be away on 28th for a few days, unfortunately.

doesn't leave me much to to get fit

April is going to be steaming hot and doesn't sound like a good month to have a marathon. Feb sounds a lot better.

Looks like I'll be away on 28th for a few days, unfortunately.

The main problem is the time of day that they are running the race. With a 7:30 Am start on the he superstars are going to finish at around 10 AM and the average Joe at 11:00Am or later. It's going to be dam_n hot on the road at those hours, at almost any time of the year in Samui. Fast marathons are run in misty 10C weather in Rotterdam, not on Samui hills in 35C direct sunlight. Start the race at about 5:00 Am and you might have a more reasonable situation.

In collage we had a marathon.

28 bars in town 28 beers. :)

In Little India in Singapore on the 21st we're having a tiny run of 3.4 km race with 4 stops for a 12 ounce beer. The record on the course is seemingly beatable 17:30 (which is really slow if you don't factor in the beer). Some of you big talkers from Thailand should come down and shatter that record. But as it turns out, it's pretty hard drink even 48 ounces of water while running, let alone beer.

I understand April run is being held 'in celebration of the new road surface' (which ought to be pretty wam mid-April!) and will start from Tesco Lamai...

Does this mean that 'a new road surface' will be fully completed by April? I thought the process of asphalting is being delayed for another year, no?