Tb Testing Bangkok Problem

Good afternoon, Me and my wife are in the process of applying for a UK settlement visa, we have all the paperwork in place apart from the TB test certificate which we went to do yesterday. On completion on the test the doctor at the IOM said that the x-ray taken Could show signs of TB. We then had to go back to the Phyathai hospital to re-test, up-on the 2nd test the doctor at the hospital says that the x-ray shows all clear. Returning to the the IOM office the doctor again said that he was not happy with the x-ray and would need to do further testing. Normally i would accept this but when the doctor at the hospital said all clear it had us wondering. So we decided to go to Bumrangrad hospital to do a extra test ourselves, the results of this again show all clear and was confirmation by the doctor in the hospital and we have confirmation of this. We have taken this 3 x-rays back to the IOM office and awaiting what the doctors there says. The questions that I have are, is the IOM the only place in Bangkok that the embassy accept for the visa? If this is the case is they no way to get a second option. As we now have to wait 3 days for samples to be taken and then a further 2 months to confirm for sure, is they anyway that we this process can be made speeder? The second option that we have would be to apply for a tourist visa for my wife to come to the UK this way. But is they anyway that a tourist visa can be turned into a settlement visa in the UK, or would this have to be done in Bangkok. I know that this sound impatience in not wanting to waiting, but the current circumstances would mean that waiting a extra 3 months would be a waste of time and money, as my wife is due to finish university in march. Any advice or experience in this matter would be a great help. Thanks again.

as I remember there are more than one place to check tb for an application.

if no luck attach all diagnosis with x-ray for the consulate consideration, with a covering letter.

in the settlement visa in the uk you can again explain the situation with tb in bkk (by than you will have all clear from IOM which again you submit with an application).

if she is not ill you should not worry that much - the tests are more of a formality than anything else.

A visit visa cannot be converted to settlement in the UK, she would have to return to Bangkok and apply for settlement when the visit visa expires.

Only a certificate issued by the IOM is acceptable for UK visa applications.

If a sputum test is required, and is negative, you should have the certificate within 3 to 4 working days.

If clinically indicated they may need to do a culture test on the sputum sample, which could take up to 8 weeks.

See Information Sheet for Tuberculosis Testing (PDF, 30.9KB)

Presumably you do not wish to travel until after your wife has finished university in March, so you should still have plenty of time.

I hope all the tests come back negative and your wife is free of TB.

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE I AM JUST WORRIED ABOUT THE TIME SCALE THAT WE APPLY FOR THE VISA. WE HAVE ALREADY SATRTED THE SAMPPLE TESTING TODAY SO THE 3 WILL HAVE BEEN TAKEN BY THE END OF THE WEEK. IS IT THEN THE CASE THAT THE RESULTS WLL BE GIVEN, OR DO WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR 2 MONTHS. IF THIS IS THE CASE I THINK THAT OUR TRAVEL TARGET DATE OF THE END OF MARCH WILL BE MISSEED, AS I BELIEVE THE CURRENT VISA WAITING TIME IS AROUND 2 WEEKS.    THE OPTION OF TAKING THE X-RAYS DIERECT TO THE EMBASSY WITH A COVER LETTER AND ALL CLEAR FORM A DIFFERNT DOCTOR DOES SOUND LIKE A WAY FORWARD BUT IF THE IOM ISSUSE THE OK WITH THE WEEK THEN THAT WOULD BE OK. IT SOUNDS STRANGE THAT MY WIFE WOULD HAVE TB BECAUSE SHE WAS TESTED AT UNIVERSITY 4MONTHS AGO AND WAS OK, PLUS THE 2ND TEST GAVE HER THE OK. WHEN THE DOCTOR AT THE IOM SHOWS US THE SPOT BOTH OF US COULD NOT SEE ANYTHING ALTHOUGH WE ARE FAR FORM DOCTORS. HOPEFULLY EVERY THING WILL COME GOOD IN THE END AND AT THE END OF THE DAY HER HEALTH IS THE MOST IMPOARTANT. THANKS AGAIN

My previous post of 15:05:58 and the link therein contains the answers to all the points and questions you raise in the above.

Please do not post in capitals; it is the internet equivalent of shouting!

• 3 weeks later...

7by7

I would be astonished also that this type of institute would do such a thing. Just strange that there are two instances quite close to each other in that this has happened to the OP and ourselves.

As you have said TB can be caught at any time just fishy the two scenarios, especially as the OP had an OK from another doctor

7by7

I would be astonished also that this type of institute would do such a thing. Just strange that there are two instances quite close to each other in that this has happened to the OP and ourselves.

As you have said TB can be caught at any time just fishy the two scenarios, especially as the OP had an OK from another doctor

Hi there thanks for the update,

It is nice to read that somebody else is in the same situation as us. I would not think that the IOM are involved in a scam as such, because the retests are free I believe (we wont be paying again) Although it seems to me that they might have a set quota that they have to meet each month (UK driving test rings bells). As in previous posts I find it hard to believe that my wife passed her yearly TB test 2 months ago with University, and then the retest at Bumrungrad hospital the same day.

Although all I can say is the the IOM is a very slow process should anybody fail the TB test. I am not sure why the IOM would not start treatment with my wife as a precautionary measure until the cultures come back. This would save us 2 months, and stop any TB from growing. Form what research I have done this is standard procedure in European clinics.

I do feel that other options should be available in Bangkok, as the UK embassy will only recognise the IOM it does not allow for a second option.

Roll on march :)

Regards

Although it seems to me that they might have a set quota that they have to meet each month (UK driving test rings bells).

As an ex driving instructor I can assure you that the UK driving test does not have any sort of quota. I doubt very much that the IOM have a quota for TB tests. What would be the point?

To be frank, were my wife in this position I would be more concerned about finding out for sure that she was free from TB than trying to find another hospital to issue the certificate without further tests!

Although it seems to me that they might have a set quota that they have to meet each month (UK driving test rings bells).

As an ex driving instructor I can assure you that the UK driving test does not have any sort of quota. I doubt very much that the IOM have a quota for TB tests. What would be the point?

To be frank, were my wife in this position I would be more concerned about finding out for sure that she was free from TB than trying to find another hospital to issue the certificate without further tests!

With all due respect my wife's health is of paramount importance to me!

This is why we went to Bumrungrad to check for TB the same day off our own backs. My concern would have been if this test also showed suspect TB. Would we then have to wait the 2 months for the IOM to confirm the cultures. Surely the sooner treatment is administrated the less time the TB has to grow, develop and possibility spread. I don't claim to be a doctor far from it, this is just from research I have done. Into how TB is handled and dealt with in the UK and Europe.

But maybe you are right 7by7 about the quota, although the IOM does cause a inconvenience, and seem to have the monopoly in this field. If the embassy will only take certificate issued from them, what happens if they are wrong?

But we just have to be patience and wait for the results. Although I always thought that the visa itself would be the most worrying time, we still have that part to come :)

Regards

My apologies for implying that your wife's health was not a concern for you. My remark was meant to be a general one, not directed at any one in particular. My excuse, for what it's worth, being it was late at night after a frustrating day.

As the IOM is a highly respected inter-governmental agency, I assume that one reason the government only accept certificates from them as there is less chance of them being wrong than others. Though as my doctor said to me only yesterday, no doctor is perfect and they all make mistakes!

However, I suspect the main reason being that in some countries it would be very easy to pass an envelope to an unscrupulous doctor and get a certificate without a test.

My apologies for implying that your wife's health was not a concern for you. My remark was meant to be a general one, not directed at any one in particular. My excuse, for what it's worth, being it was late at night after a frustrating day.

As the IOM is a highly respected inter-governmental agency, I assume that one reason the government only accept certificates from them as there is less chance of them being wrong than others. Though as my doctor said to me only yesterday, no doctor is perfect and they all make mistakes!

However, I suspect the main reason being that in some countries it would be very easy to pass an envelope to an unscrupulous doctor and get a certificate without a test.

Dont worry about it, no offence taken.

I guess in my mind, is was hoping to have the visa paperwork sorted out by now. But it will just take more time, I am sure we will get there in the end.

Regards

We went in for the TB test a week ago and were told by IOM that there was suspected TB. I'm no expert, but looking at the X-rays I just couldn't see it myself.

Likewise on our second visit to the hospital my wife was told her x-rays were all clear.

Could be wrong, but came to exactly the same conclusion as you rushdentillidie regards a quota.

Have to say we were fortunate though in that the sputum results came back negative. A major relief on all counts.

RLM

We went in for the TB test a week ago and were told by IOM that there was suspected TB. I'm no expert, but looking at the X-rays I just couldn't see it myself.

Likewise on our second visit to the hospital my wife was told her x-rays were all clear.

Could be wrong, but came to exactly the same conclusion as you rushdentillidie regards a quota.

Have to say we were fortunate though in that the sputum results came back negative. A major relief on all counts.

RLM

Thanks for sharing RLM, it seems that they are many cases like this after reading over people reviews.

I hope like you once the results come back the will show all clear.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Update on TB test. My gf did the sputum tests (3 days in a row as they take 3 seperate samples) and was then told they were not 100% sure so we have to wait 2 months for them to see if anything develops with the samples taken.

I am going over in March for 2 weeks and we will get married and all things being well the 2 months will have elapsed by the end of March and we can then concentrate on the Visa application.

Bit of a pain but without that certificate we can't move on.

Will let you know how things progress later

With all due respect my wife's health is of paramount importance to me!

This is why we went to Bumrungrad to check for TB the same day off our own backs. My concern would have been if this test also showed suspect TB. Would we then have to wait the 2 months for the IOM to confirm the cultures. Surely the sooner treatment is administrated the less time the TB has to grow, develop and possibility spread. I don't claim to be a doctor far from it, this is just from research I have done. Into how TB is handled and dealt with in the UK and Europe.

But maybe you are right 7by7 about the quota, although the IOM does cause a inconvenience, and seem to have the monopoly in this field. If the embassy will only take certificate issued from them, what happens if they are wrong?

But we just have to be patience and wait for the results. Although I always thought that the visa itself would be the most worrying time, we still have that part to come :)

Regards

Is it possible they don't commence treatment until they are 100% sure as that they don't want to give people strong anitbiotics etc to someone who may not need them.

• 1 month later...

I am currently going through the same thing with my wife, in regards to an Aussie visa though. I am of the opinion it is the government just causing more headaches for the sake of it.

I was thinking why don't they just require a sputum test for all long stay visas, many many people seem to fail the chest xray, so make a sputum test a requirement. Partner tests to Aussie take 2-3 months so why make people go through the stress of freaking out about T.B. just test everybody properly in the first place.

• 8 months later...

Hi i am from pakistan, i had given x ray two weeks ago which shows some abnormalities, afterward i gave sputum test for 3 days which was negative and they issued me the certificate, in which they mentioned about x ray abnormal and sputum test negative, also they have given me the x ray and one referral form showing the results in the x ray that is mentioning the description findings: LEFT APICAL PLEURAL THICKENING SEEN.

AM I ELIGIBLE to apply for student Visa for my master course,is there any hindrance i might experience, is there any suggestion usefull for me,