More Tuk-tuk Trouble In Phuket

webfact

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find myself, as stated earlier, in many different countries, I work month on month off usually and so I convert different currencies back to GBP so I can compare if that's ok with you. If you think you are being ripped off DON'T BUY. Not rocket science IMHO

It's not ok with me!

Most of us don't compare prices in Thailand with prices in England. Believe it or not, everyone on this forum is not from England. (I've never held a British pound in my life - nor do I want to)

To make an assessment of a fair price in Thailand we must compare prices in Thailand with prices in Thailand. It's not rocket science that the Canadian tourist was severely ripped off . It has nothing to do with your personal opinion.

It's also not an opinion that he was treated very badly...that's a fact.

Points noted but if it's so bad <deleted> do you want to live here for? If you don't like it, GO HOME, does that not make sense? Again......not rocket science.

You're still on your honeymoon so you're blinded to reality, but here's your answer: The good in Thailand still outweighs the bad back home for many an expat.

if anwar agreed to 150 Baht ($4.52 US Dollars) then only offered 100 Baht, and DID kick the tyre and be rude to the tuk tuk driver then he deserved to get punched for the sum of $4.52 i bet Anwar would do more than that if someone tried to rip him off in Canada.

Thailand, like Australia has 1 golden rule......................................if you don't like it F%#k off and go home !!!

Your all missing the point apart from the expats that live in phuket. The thai logic is there will always be planes full of tourist same same. I use to be a reguler visitor to patong pre tsunami and after it realy has declined as a top destination and i for 1 will never return talk about the hand that feeds you. The thai mentality is simple rip them off they will always come, but the numbers are not comeing thats why crimes on the increase.

Glynski as you have been told once the novelty wears off and you realise the theft and scams perpertrated against you and the double pricing if your out with your lady will you still feel the same. Hope it doesn't happen but if your out riding your bike and a local cuts you off and you run into him once you paid his hospital bills his new bike his lack of ernings and it will be your fault because your farang i wonder if you will still feel the same. Listen to what the older members say on here and take it in. The tuk tuk drivers boss stated why is my driver not allowed bail he is thai sums it up realy.

I certainly don't agree with the guy getting a dig, but as in Pattaya with baht bus drivers who you hire to take you from A to B, without stopping to pick up passengers, agree the price, pay when you get off, end of story.

Ok, In his case he feels he's been had for 50 baht, in my view a small price to pay for a lesson learnt. It wont happen to him again.

Don't really know about the tuk-tuk drivers in Phuket, but from what I read I hope they stay there.

The good in Thailand still outweighs the bad back home for many an expat.

Exactly! So this being the case I live here, in Thailand, and I respect the laws and customs of this country. If I take a taxi, tuk tuk, whatever, I agree a price and I pay it. I do not haggle once services have been rendered. I realise that with respect to Thailand I am inexperienced but in ANY country, once a price has been agreed and services have been rendered, the price must be paid. I also agree that the tuk tuk driver was wrong to resort to violence but one cannot expect him to be happy if a customer, whether he feels he has been ripped off or not, refuses to pay the agreed fare after the guy has been delivered to his destination. I am lucky because my wife does the haggling and when she does it is all very good natured and the deal is struck. Maybe in time my spectacles will become less rose tinted but I for one, have never been so happy and I just cannot understand why so many people choose to live here, yet are obviously very unhappy with their lot. Speaking personally the good in Thailand FAR FAR outweighs anything the UK has to offer and I am very glad that I have many friends (Thais) who have helped me out in many ways and been nothing but polite, courteous and friendly, including taxi and tuk tuk drivers. Maybe it is because I live far from the general tourist areas, maybe it is because I am green about the gills, who knows. I do not intend any offence by my posts and as you can see I have refrained from posting for the last 18 months but I do tire of seeing constant Thai-bashing on here when we ALL have the choice of whether we live/holiday here or go home.

I think it's hide tide for the Governor of Phuket or indeed the Thai Government to start sorting the 'Mafia' run tuk tuk drivers for good. The reputation of Phuket it almost in tatters. The lack of interest on the part of the administration to address this issue has been long outstanding. If Thailand wants to continue to loose it's Tourists then just do nothing, otherwise a total reform of the system must be implemented.

I find that generally Tourists are not being made as welcome as other Asianic countries who are indeed putting out the red carpet and naturally benefiting from Thailand's inability to tackle this issue head on.

The power of the internet is such now that it is almost common knowledge that Thailand is not a safe-haven and that tourists should already be aware of the dangers visiting this country.

How many more incidents will it take for the authorities to do something ?

I'm not condoning the price of the fare, nor am I advocating violence, there is no excuse to assault anyone. However, tourists get ripped off the world over. I've been ripped of in Zimbabwe, USA, England, France (dam_n French), Japan, Hong Kong and New Zealand (where a gas station charged me $50 + the cost of the gas to fill up on a Sunday - gotta love the Kiwis ... I never saw that one coming). As a tourist I know this is going to happen to me and I plan for it.

I don't think it's right, but I put up with it, and I plan for it.

The agreed price was 150bt - thats US$4.50. Mr Anwar only wanted to pay 100bt - $3.00, but he'd already agreed to pay 150bt. In Australia, renigging on a gentleman's agreement would probably get him a punch in the face too! So, for $1.50, the dishonourable Mr Anwar got punched in the face. I note the medical bill was 2000bt - $60.00. Well, he's lucky he wasn't Japan or the US, where he could have tacked another zero onto the bill.

So far, Mr Anwar is out of pocket $61.50. A week in Rome could see him lose a whole lot more than that!!!

Now, I'm not supporting the Tuk-Tuk driver, but lets look at his side of the story. These guys work 12-14 hour shifts, 2/3 of it under that hot Thai sun. No a/c on a Tuk-Tuk! How much PROFIT would these guys make each day? $20? $30? ... Lets be generous and say they make $50 ... on a 12 hour day that's only around $4 per hour. They do it tough ... you don't find too many Tuk-Tuk drivers on vacation in Canada or Europe. Look at the clothes they wear and the houses they live in. This Tuk-Tuk driver is going to court. He'll be fined. He might have to pay Mr Anwar's costs. If he has form he might even do time. What affect is that going to have on his family income? He'll be paying this off for weeks. A Tuk-Tuk driver's PROFIT is the bit left over after he pays for his licence, fuel, bribe to work certain streets, etc. When his fee is cut from 150bt to 100bt his profit was probably cut from 70bt to 20bt ... maybe even less.

This is a very sad story - for 50bt - $1.50. To me, both parties are in the wrong. I seem to remember a similar incident in BKK a few years back where an English or Irish tourist was stabbed over a similar incident. That 50bt is SO IMPORTANT to a poor family.

Let's paint a different picture for a minute. Imagine that Mr Anwar arrived at his hotel by Tuk-Tuk and paid a 50bt tip instead. He could boast about tipping the Tuk-Tuk driver and talk about his great holiday in Thailand. The Tuk-Tuk driver would be the happiest driver in Phuket. His profit for that trip doubled. For Mr Anwar, his $5000 holiday to Phuket would cost him an extra $1.50 .... hmmm .... $5001.50 .... does it really matter?

$1.50 Mr Anwar, it was $1.50.

"standard fee 150 baht" for a one minute ride. who set the "standard fee", tuk tuk owners, drivers or the governors office?

Never the less.

HE agreed to pay it.

Then he changed his mind.

He could simply of said no and caught another taxi.

The same dispute will happen again wherever he agrees a price, then on arrival changes his mind.

The Thais will not do anything because they are used to it and don't see it as a problem and won't even bother.

The best thing you can do is to not do anything. They don't care. Complain some more. They still don't care. Make Phuket sounds like the worst place in the world to go to. They don't care. Many of the Thais do not want tourists here. Again, tourists should also consider that they can go to anywhere else. The Thais will not do anything until it hurts their reputation and in this case it doesn't.

This isn't big enough for any one to worry. It's something that happen everyday ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. Unmetered taxi scams are everywhere in the world and a person who consider themselves ready to travel outside their country should know this to begin with.

For those who are not happy about things that happen in this country I think the best and the easiest solution is to leave this country..

P.S. This guy here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3248878

For some reasons I find this post very offensive. I wonder what a Thai would say when they know that farangs see them as unintelligent semi human beings.

---------------------------------------

Mr infernalman7, your kind is among the worst there is. When we as humans just dont care any more to stop all kind of shit that we are experience here in Thailand, than we are in big trouble. I do not care a bit if Thailand do not care.... But for every complaint you make, it will rub off in some thais face in one way or another.

OK, to complain to a tuc tuc driver is stupid, but why not go to the hotel, why not go to the travelagency where you bought your tickets and why not go to the police.

I am convienced that if 100.s of turistst come in during a month and complain about the same thing, of course it will rub of in the face of the chief of the police..

So I do not agree at all that people shall leave the country instead of making a complaint, by complaining you are changing, maybe not in your little world, but it does in mine.

For the rest of what you write I do agree, of course leaving your homecountry as a tourist you shall try to adapt and take responsibility for your own actions. In this case honour your own contract that you signed. If not you´re rightfully in deep problem (not violence of course).

Glegolo

The fare was agreed. End of story. Passenger initiated the dispute. The driver should have an alternative way of settling fare disputes. Why not simply hand the passenger a ticket with the agreed fare written on it at the start ? Few tourists would bother to argue with something in writing. TAT, next problem please.

I don't agree. The tuk tuk driver, like his fellow drivers, was participating in a large-scale rip-off of tourists, Phuket's golden egg. People don't like to be ripped off or assaulted. Word gets out and anyone doing any research on Phuket (when considering where to vacation) - will avoid the place, as well they should. Similarly, places like Pattaya or Karachi or Modadishu or Kabul or Kinshasa don't rate high on the tourists trail because there's a strong chance of being ripped off and/or harmed at such places.

Every time something like this happens it just damages Thailand's reputation more and more. Every visitor to this country that is assaulted, mistreated or ripped off tells their story to friends and family , who probably then decide not to come here...should the guy have payed 150 baht after agreeing to...probably....did he deserve a beating...no.Well done too the tuk tuk driver you short sighted idiot  :)

A contract is a contract, so be prepared to cop the hit on the head to remind you that you want to dishonor the contract. Don't be an idiot with these types of negotiations, get caught out be humble to avoid confrontation. Poor silly man and over a couple of $? You are only seen as a smart a.se by the local population with little compassion.

That's bs. Tricking a tourist who doesn't know the area into paying 150 for a 1 minute ride is theft. I wouldn't have paid it either and I'm sure the majority of punters would have argued.

-------------------------------

Do not talk about B-S, It is not an excuse for a tourist to be ignorant and doesn´t know his way around. With your reasoning ALL americans and british should have it free to break contracts because they are so enormously poor in geographics...

Sorry mate, contract is a contract is a contract, swallow it or just use your legs..

glegolo

I reside in northernmost Thailand, so perhaps this doesn't apply much to what transpires at Thailand's southern beach resorts. However, I meet backpackers here, and nearly all are headed to Laos. They see Thailand as a transit stop - on their way to better places. Cambodia and Burma are also popular destinations for young folks, but again, northern Thailand is largely becoming a stepping off place, as they don't want to linger here longer than it takes to arrange visas and transport to get better places.

Backpackers of today become the bigger spenders of tomorrow, if they return. They might return when they get higher paying jobs in their home countries and have a wife and kids along - but stories of rip-offs and beatings are sure not going to entice them to return, surely not to southern destinations and surely not as a family destination.

There are other reasons why tourists are staying away (unstable politics, trashed beaches, sex industry), but if the workers in Phuket and Pattaya want tourists and repeat visitors, they better clean up their act. One of the first order of business would be for the governor to call in the army (the cops couldn't do it alone) and clean out the tuk tuk and jet ski thugs. Require meters in each taxi-like vehicle and enforce their use. While they're at it, implement a workable shuttle bus service to and from the airport.

Alternatively, put it off, and watch Phuket's reputation sink further in to the mire.

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

I'd have to agree here. Anwar and the driver agreed to 150 baht for the ride, and then after services were rendered, Anwar wanted to offer less. And if it's true that he escalated the situation further by being rude and kicking the driver, then I'm not surprised at the eventual outcome.

I'm sort of happy that people like Anwar won't be returning to Thailand for their holidays.

Guess he agreed to 150baht,because he did not know how far away the new place is ,and when arrived at the new place he probably felt cheated,I would too,if they they would not try to cheat and press every single baht from tourists,stuff like that would never happen.

just to add: If you order a pizza delivery you can't tell that the pizza isn't as big as you thought so you just pay 2/3 of its price.

Of course hitting the tourist was wrong, calling the police instead would be right.

well if you order a pizza, and it comes as only one slice you better bet your ass im not paying full price, :) ... I can see how you guys can justify the violence against this guy, lame.

I don't think the charge was too excessive. If two people are moving hotels then their luggage is being moved as well. It's $5 Australian or $2.50 for each of them, hel_l you can't complain about that.

BUT, the seemingly ease at which the Tuk-Tuk drivers resort to violence is a worry. He doesn't understand why he's in trouble when HE was the one who was wronged. Someone teach this heathens that belting someone's face is not normal and isn't actually permitted by the law in these circumstances.

Who belts the Tuk-Tuk drivers faces when they commit wrong?

Are some of the nasty comments motivated because the chap's name is Mr. Anwar?

To those saying a deal is a deal, get off your high horse. A deal negotiated in bad faith is not equivalent to a normal transaction. The driver should have told the customer, it's only 100m away. The tuk tuk is in the tourist business, so the onus to be tourist friendly was even higher. Some of you people must have a complete absence of business ethics and no understanding of what doing the right thing means.

And to those saying if you don't like it go the <deleted> home, why don't you get a grip. Where does it say anyone has to put up with abuse and thuggery? Has it dawned on those spouting such garbage that maybe some of us are needed by Thailand and that Thailand extended an invitation? Not all of us are here to take in the hookers of Bangla. There are also a great many people here that have wives, families and other special people. Do you expect the people that object to just abandon their families, and to leave them behind to fend for themselves? It's not like it's an easy process for Thais to emigrate. Where does it say that a person must remain silent when the victim of petty crimes?

What part of the process do you not understand? Has it not occurred to you that many of us see the great potential Thailand has and that this criminal mentality is holding it back? Look at 3 countries; USA, Canada and Australia. These 3 countries have a record of welcoming immigrants and weaving their ideas and contributions into the social fabric without massive social friction. Yes there have been problems, but I put it to you that these 3 countries have achieved more than they could have otherwise and are richer for it as well. If these 3 countries had succumbed to the go the <deleted> home strategy all of the countries would be worse off. Take take a hint. Listening and learning from other cultures and nations pays dividends.

Edited by geriatrickid

Patong central to Kalim takes a wee bit longer than 1 minute, sure 150 seems expensive relative to, say, Bangkok, but what's £1 difference when you're on holiday. I've never managed to get a taxi or tuktuk to take me anywhere in Phuket, even one end of Patong to the other for less than 150 baht, here in Chiang Mai a tuktuk wouldn't dream of charging more than 150 baht to take you all the way across town.

Phuket deserves this kind of negative publicity because they simply can't get to the bottom of their taxi mafia.

Sure the tuktuk deserves to be banged up for assault, but he's trying to make a living on the streets where there's too many taxis licenced so they sit around all day and when they get a client who then wants to cheat him out of 50 baht of course he's going to get irate. They agreed on 150 baht, no tuk tuk would have taken Anwar anywhere for 100 baht.

Having said that, the moment I step out of the airport in Phuket or Samui, I instinctively go on the defensive with taxi drivers, I was appalled that no one would take me to Patong for under 400 baht (a similar journey in Bangkok is about 250 baht), I got all irate with them but when you see how far it is and the amount of traffic I can understand, all the same I can't help feeling ripped off every time I use a taxi in Phuket, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This taxi drivers don't realise that most people arrive in Phuket fresh from a 45 minute, 200 baht ride to Suvarnabhumi from Bangkok central, no wonder people like Anwar object.

...I was appalled that no one would take me to Patong for under 400 baht (a similar journey in Bangkok is about 250 baht), I got all irate with them but when you see how far it is and the amount of traffic I can understand, all the same I can't help feeling ripped off every time I use a taxi in Phuket, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

And if things haven't changed then your budget option (still a few hundred baht) is to get the shared bus and be stopped mid-way at the family's tourist agency where they try to sell you hotel rooms and lie about the place being all booked out.

doesn't warrant the violence over 50 baht. Anwar ended up spending 2000baht for his injuries.

I view this incidence as ' both stupid' in their actions.

However, I really think Phuket needs to clean up their ACT if they want to claim themselves as a world class

resort. There needs to be more effort and planning for a better tourist type transportation system such as

a Phuket resort type shuttle services seen in places like Guam, Honolulu, Saipan which transports tourist

on a timely basis to various hotels, restaurants, malls, etc at a very reasonable fare.

Nice to see that some expats have not yet been socially castrated and cowed into enjoying cr_p being poured on them

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

I'd have to agree here. Anwar and the driver agreed to 150 baht for the ride, and then after services were rendered, Anwar wanted to offer less. And if it's true that he escalated the situation further by being rude and kicking the driver, then I'm not surprised at the eventual outcome.

I'm sort of happy that people like Anwar won't be returning to Thailand for their holidays.

so violence is ok then it was the farangs fault, you lot on here make me laugh you are just a bunch of sheep bowing to every thing thai you mugs

I hope anwar passes on this to many friends and family that avoid thailand not just phuket as it happens all over

12 pages and counting this normally means this is a real problem and need to be fixed. Meters. Is the only answer I can find. Turn the Tuk-Tuk drivers into honest working men in stead of thieves and hustlers. This type of behavior effects more people then you could ever guess.

Yeah, the hotel manager would kick the sh_t out of you, with the help of the bellboy, right?!

what kind of idiot are you to suggest the tourist is wrong to query what is in a reality a complete rip off of a fare and then gets assaulted for doing so - you've been in LOS way to long if you agree with tuk tuk driver - they all lie blind and cheat and rob at every chance - so i doubt anything that they say bears any truth

Guess you did not read the article, they said the guy and his wife negotiated with the driver and then agreed to the price. If you agree to a price then you should do what you agreed to. I do think what the Tuk Tuk driver did was wrong, but the guy and his wife are wrong too for not paying what they agreed. Some tourists come here and think they can do anything they want.

If the guy agreed to pay 500 baht a night for a hotel and then only pays 300 baht because the room was not what he expected dont you think there would be a problem?

To those saying a deal is a deal, get off your high horse. A deal negotiated in bad faith is not equivalent to a normal transaction. The driver should have told the customer, it's only 100m away. The tuk tuk is in the tourist business, so the onus to be tourist friendly was even higher. Some of you people must have a complete absence of business ethics and no understanding of what doing the right thing means.

And to those saying if you don't like it go the <deleted> home, why don't you get a grip. Where does it say anyone has to put up with abuse and thuggery? Has it dawned on those spouting such garbage that maybe some of us are needed by Thailand and that Thailand extended an invitation? Not all of us are here to take in the hookers of Bangla. There are also a great many people here that have wives, families and other special people. Do you expect the people that object to just abandon their families, and to leave them behind to fend for themselves? It's not like it's an easy process for Thais to emigrate. Where does it say that a person must remain silent when the victim of petty crimes?

What part of the process do you not understand? Has it not occurred to you that many of us see the great potential Thailand has and that this criminal mentality is holding it back? Look at 3 countries; USA, Canada and Australia. These 3 countries have a record of welcoming immigrants and weaving their ideas and contributions into the social fabric without massive social friction. Yes there have been problems, but I put it to you that these 3 countries have achieved more than they could have otherwise and are richer for it as well. If these 3 countries had succumbed to the go the <deleted> home strategy all of the countries would be worse off. Take take a hint. Listening and learning from other cultures and nations pays dividends.

Thank You!!! Dead On!!

Amen

Thank You!!! Dead On!!

So you actually like this behavior. Maybe a tuk tuk driver job on your horizon?

if anwar agreed to 150 Baht ($4.52 US Dollars) then only offered 100 Baht, and DID kick the tyre and be rude to the tuk tuk driver then he deserved to get punched for the sum of $4.52 i bet Anwar would do more than that if someone tried to rip him off in Canada.

Thailand, like Australia has 1 golden rule......................................if you don't like it F%#k off and go home !!!

While not condoning the driver or the passenger for their actions this incident highlights the sad & sorry state of Phuket's tourist industry. I have seen for many years the mindset about another plane load of tourists arriving so why give a hoot about the ones being ripped off now. In early days most of the tuk tuks were owner drivers but now it seems that they have to rent them by the day plus pay a fee for their space on the street which is probably why there has been a call for more tuk tuks so the bosses can make more money.

Given the above it can be concluded the drivers who are being exploited & possibly brainwashed by the bosses are under immense pressure to earn enough to survive & while there is no excuse for the violence it can be seen that the stress contributes towards it.

There has to be at least one million people living in Phuket with a pitiful transport system which needs to be overhauled. The small steps such as the yellow & pink buses which traverse Phuket Town are nowhere near enogh to address the problem.

The mindset is likely the biggest obstacle to change along with the fact of the many who receive their cut from the takings.

Meters are the only answer! I wish someone in government had the balls to break up the tuk tuk mafia and get rid of them everywhere! Allow a few in tourist areas (with a meter) so that the tourists can get their "cultural experience" points, but abolish all the rest!

No matter where in Thailand you are, the tuk tuks are out to screw you. It doesn't matter if you are Thai or Farang, they will charge you more than a metered taxi for the opportunity to sit in a dangerous road vehicle, and inhale carbon monoxide. I've been here for three years, and I've only taken a tuk tuk three times, I hate them. If I have somewhere far to go, the taxis are not quite as corrupt, and are at least air conditioned. For a shorter trip, the motorcycle taxis are a little expensive, but faster than any other way. There is no good reason to have tuk tuks except that they evolved out of the bicycle powered rikshaws, and were probably the original transportation mafia.

The metered taxi business model seems to work best, (although there are scams there too, look at the Suvarnabhumi board), so I think it would be expedient for Thailand to push for them all across the Kingdom. That way you at least stand a chance of getting a fair price, with a minimum of hassle. Economically it should be possible as well, as the drivers are not the owners of the cars, they "rent" them for the day. Some rich Puu Yai owns the cars which I think centralizes the organization, and brings it closer to the western taxi system.

This poor guy probably didn't realize that the trip would be so short, and was therefore surprised at the price once he reached the destination. That wouldn't have happened if there were meters. The price (and its relation to western prices) is irrelevant. Whether he should "go home if he doesn't like it" is irrelevant. It's the principle that counts. Nobody likes to get screwed, especially on vacation. I think another poster on the first page had it right, that the mentality of "there will always be more tourists" is faulty and dangerous because then the violence and corruption only increase as the tourist numbers dwindle.

The government broke the mafia here in Bangkok when they instituted meters, (I know that new ones have since formed, but it is better than it was), so now is the time to do it across Thailand.