Tractor

sokmeister

Hey guys,

My brother in Cambodia keeps telling me about this brand of tractor "EURO" model ST90.

I can't seem to find anything about this....closest google search netted, New Holland TS90.

I'm pretty sure he made a boo boo...can anyone help decypher what he's talking about?

price was something in the $30-$35k USD.

Thanks,

Sok

The NH (New Holland) TS90 is one of the models that is avaliable in Cambodia - through Anglo Thai in Thailand, who receive the machine in "KND" form on a pallet, and assemble it in Thailand at their depot (not far from the old Bkk international airport), and then send it on to a number of countries around Thailand. And the price you have quoted is more or less right.

So - yes, thats a possibility, but I have to tell you that I have doubts about this: the TS90 is a relatively "sophisticated" tractor with electronics and a hydraulic system that requires more than a basic mechanical skill to maintain, and the issue with respect to choosing which models to make avalible on the Asian market is very much one about maintenance and skill level (of local dealers and workshops). Manufacturers try to discourage importation of models that have have anything more than basic mechanics, because the skill levels required for maintanence and the logistics required to support parts distrabution and stocking add's a layer of admin that to date has not proved really profitable for the manufacturers.

What I suspect is been looked at here is one or other of the Chinese "counterfeits", which has been dressed up to look like a New Holland TS90 model - and there are quite a few of those around!

The 3rd possibility is a Eastern European model which is titled something along the lines of ST or TS 90. If I recall correctly this tractor is not painted blue (both the above examples are painted blue with grey or blue coloured engine blocks), but is painted the same colour as the old Spanish SAME tractors - a orange/reddish colour.

Edited by Maizefarmer

Thanks for the input Maize, much appreciated!

I've sent an email to Mit Alai Tractor requesting a list of what they have for sale; new and used! We just doing research at the moment and won't buy until this october.

What's strange is that m brother mentioned that there aren't any used Fords available in thailand. He could possibly means just areas close within the borders(or just dam_n lazy), becaues it seems Fords are everywhere in SE Asia...used ones albeit.

According to him, Ford is the best brand in terms of used tractors to use due simplicity, robustness, and available of parts. He just couldn't find any. we'll see when Mit Tractor responds.

Sok

Hi Sokmeister, your question about the Euro tractor rang a bell so I contacted a friend who owns one and he told me that it is actually called a Eurotrack tractor. His is 90 Hp but he didn't know the actual model number. He also tells me the sales office is in Chonburi. Apparently service is great and they send out mechanics every time there is a problem. It's a Chinese/German company with the smaller models made in China and the larger (90Hp +) units made in Germany.

I've seen his and a couple of others but they aren't very common.

Found a Russian website with a photo:

http://zois.car.gr/tractors/view/495277/

finner

Try this web site

http://www.eurotrac.co.th

I was driving between Chok Chai and Nong Ki and stopped at a place that was selling tractors. They were all used tractors but I believe they were most likely imported as parts and reassembled here.

The one that impressed me most was a "Euro 55DI" it had 8 hours on the clock ( maybe a new clock??) but looked new and was for sale for B380,000 which inlcuded the mandatory bladeat the front and one implement at the back ( I suppose that means either a disc or rotary.

As I had never heard of a "Euro" I just typed in Euro 55DI into gooogle and it come up with the above site.

By the way they also had used used Fords, Kubota's and Iseki's for sale.

Finner

It is on Hwy24, about 15km from Nong Ki (so must be almost in Nong Bunnak).

I didn't see any of the larger tractors i.e. 90's but they did have 2 of the Euro 55DI's available along with lots of other models.

Hi Ootai

Thanks, I will have to see if I can find the place to have a look.

I have a place in Mukdahan and I'm looking for a decent almost new tractor.

Does anyone else have any leads on second hand tractors around the 45 to 50 hp mark?

Location around Bangkok would be OK, as I live there most of the time. However anywhere around Issan is fine.

Craig

Finner

It is on Hwy24, about 15km from Nong Ki (so must be almost in Nong Bunnak).

I didn't see any of the larger tractors i.e. 90's but they did have 2 of the Euro 55DI's available along with lots of other models.

Hi Ootai

Thanks, I will have to see if I can find the place to have a look.

I have a place in Mukdahan and I'm looking for a decent almost new tractor.

Does anyone else have any leads on second hand tractors around the 45 to 50 hp mark?

Location around Bangkok would be OK, as I live there most of the time. However anywhere around Issan is fine.

Craig

There is something here. But I don't know any details.

http://www.taradb2b.com/en/lead/sell/QIuAE...;ยม

Craighj

Just took a closer look at that Kubota, it's a piece of crap. Too much work to be done on it, possible frame deterioration and tires will have to be replaced. There will be better ones available coming up in future auctions.

Thanks Finner

I will start to check out the auctions.

I read an E-mail from Pond Life that he had bought a second hand tractor at Navanakorn Tractor, around the Rangsit area.

So I went and had a look yesterday. Some good second hand ones there, generally small to medium size. They have all the implements and lots of spares as well. The young guy I was talking to there spoke very good english.

Craig

Try this web site

http://www.eurotrac.co.th

I was driving between Chok Chai and Nong Ki and stopped at a place that was selling tractors. They were all used tractors but I believe they were most likely imported as parts and reassembled here.

The one that impressed me most was a "Euro 55DI" it had 8 hours on the clock ( maybe a new clock??) but looked new and was for sale for B380,000 which inlcuded the mandatory bladeat the front and one implement at the back ( I suppose that means either a disc or rotary.

As I had never heard of a "Euro" I just typed in Euro 55DI into gooogle and it come up with the above site.

By the way they also had used used Fords, Kubota's and Iseki's for sale.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH...I knew there was mistake in translation...FT 90 and Eurotrac..not just Euro! Thanks for your help. I email the above biz...the lady that responded would not give me pricings. However, she did tell me the contact to a Cambodian Eurotrac dealer.

Is there anyway I can get someone in helping me get pricing for an FT90...just so i can confirm what my brother is talking about?

Thanks

Sokhena

Sokmeister

Just woke up my friend with the 90 Hp Eurotrack and he told me it cost him B900K.

I'm not much of a farmer but I'm getting to know the prices of tractors and their availability from driving around and reading this forum and for me the price of a new tractor or even used from a dealer is way too high. I have actually seen myself excavators from JSSR bought for B100K, and taken to a reseller for sale at B200K the next day with the JSSR lot number still on it. I assume tractors are the same.

Anyway, since you seem to require lots of Hp and people in the know recommend Fords, I'll give you the results of last month's auction.

Ford 6600: B260k

Ford 6610: B250k, B260k, B260k, B274k, B300k

Ford 7710: B225k, B262k, B265k, B290k

Ford 8210: B275k, B275k, B320k

Ford TW-10 B335k

All prices well under the B900k for the Eurotrack. Of course add for new filters and fluids, maybe a water pump, new seat, lights, replace some seals and all the normal maintenance stuff.

Having said all that however, your brother's in Cambodia isn't he? Plow your way across the border? Maybe they have auctions in Phnom Phen..........

Finner,

You seem to be wealth of knowledge! Thank you very much. THis will give me more general picture regarding pricings. WOW...I can almost get 3 used Ford 8210 for one FT90!!!!

"Plow my way huh" yea we need the HP due to a few large plots of land my family have. ONe day I'll move back and work the field with him when my engineering days are numbered.

BTW...are you Finnish? Regardless..."finner" sounds/looks like, "Fin" as "Finnish", "Fin", Finland...just reminds me of a Finnish woman I'd met in Singapore during one of my visits back in 1996. Whats funny was she sent me a few letters after I left and headed to other parts of Soutwest Asia....about 6 months ago...I was able to track her back in Helsinki...on Facebook. WOW...the memories when younger and in the military...at 23..and she was 29...the most beautifull thing I'd ever seen.

Okay...thanks much for the info..that will help me much.

Canadian. Had to give a login name the first time I got on to TV and couldn't think of anything except what my friends used to call me.

Anyway, no big tractors this month at the auction but I'll be there to bid on excavator parts and whatever. I'll see what that Kubota L4202 goes for, probably about B120 considering it's condition.

Sokmeister, just a thought, your brother could ship a container full of Fords from Japan to Phnom Phen or Sihanoukville and sell what he doesn't want, depending on the market there and his residence status.

Edited by finner

• 1 month later...

Small world, Sokmeister, turns out my gf knows the owner of this dealership in Chonburi. She noticed it when she was translating for me. She's Cambodian by the way, living near Surin.

Anyway this is what I understand from her about the dimensions

1 Length 4000 mm

2 Width 2050

3 Wheelbase axel to axel 2200

4 Distance outside front tire to outside rear tire 3550

5 Clearance 379

6 Turning Radius 4200

7 Distance top of bonnet to top of exhaust pipe 2810

8 Weight 3500kg

9 Front tire size

10 Rear tire size

It was a real headache to get even this, if anything's wrong maybe someone else will pick it up. The gf's not talking to me any more and has locked herself in the bedroom :)

Finner...what did you do to her? thanks for the help as always...if you guys are near Surin...then, there is a possibility we might have a chance to meet? my brothers plantation is between poipet and sisophon. Although Surin might be further east...at least we are closer to the thai/cambo border. If...i ever get a chance to visit...so busy with two jobs...

on another note, my brother, two other cambos and a few thais made way to, his word...."very large" tractor dealer near bangkok. he was in heaven of course....heheeheh...anyhow, he metioned the dealer, no wait, the translater and finder guy, mentioned to him a Ford 6640 had an asking price of $25,000. I thought this was a little too much...so we are back at the FT-90 again. He couldn't remember the dealer's name. He wanted a used Ford, but at the asking price, my family decided to just get new.

I would love to be there myself for purchase of something like this...due to my work, I can barely leave for a week....it sux!

He sent me a dvd of the plantation...from what we saw...we can definitely use a few medium size tractors and a few mechanical buffalo's, but for now, it'll be the ft-90 and a mech buff. I am investigating importing a chinese FOton 30-50hp, do you have any thoughts..?

Thanks...P.S. please say thanks to the GF for translating for a fellow Cambodian.

Sok

Unfortunately I'm leaving the country for a few months so won't have the opportunity to meet.

$25000 sounds high to me, compared to $10,000 at the auction, unless it's in tip top shape and comes with some implements. Maybe the guys more familiar with Ford tractors could give you their advice. There have been other posts on the price of Ford tractors in the past. Here's one that I'm familiar with:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Farm-Equipme...d+tractor+price

As you'll see, some of the guys actually sell these tractors.

Your brother was probably in the Rangsit area north Bangkok where Maizefarmer advised me to go for Excavator parts. I had the same reaction--wow!

If you're in Thailand, drop on down to the JSSR auction this weekend and take a look at what's available and how much they go for. If not, tell your brother to attend. Free coffee and some kind of jelly sandwiches! :) Lots of fun.

Also, about the Eurotrac 90, my friend has used his for 3 years and is very happy with it.

• 3 months later...

Thinking of buying a tractor / parts for the wife help her with the Sweetcorn we plan to grow...

More than likely will be hiring out the tractor while im away at work...

If you had a million baht to spend would you go for a brand new one or good 2nd hand one plus all the spare parts etc knowing that there will more than likely be a high turnover of people driving it...

We have around 70 Rai.

Any thoughts would be good.

Thinking of buying a tractor / parts for the wife help her with the Sweetcorn we plan to grow...

If you had a million baht to spend would you go for a brand new one or good 2nd hand one plus all the spare parts etc knowing that there will more than likely be a high turnover of people driving it...

We have around 70 Rai.

hey jokerman it's always good to say where you are from in regards to your farm. Having only sweetcorn to grow on 70 rai could require a cultivating tractor but if you forego this and only use a tractor to prepare for planting and then use hand labor for the cultivation then you will b e able to have many tractors to choose from. If you are having "many " people" driving it then I, and many others, would recommend that you hire out and have someone else do your work until you could be able to be hands-on observing your tractor doing its work. There are a million reasons that have repeated themselves a million times here and I'm not going into them. that said, a used Ford 6610 is probably your best buy. Nowhere are parts and qualified repairmen available like in Thailand with a Ford. they are cheap also, very very cheap for parts. If you are needing a tractor when the big rice preparation for planting isn't going on you will be able to find plenty of folks in Fords or most probably Kubotas that will be available to prepare your soil. In the long run you will be miles ahead as far as money is coincerned (yes, the family won't have the status of having a fine old Ford sitting in the front yard but you will still have 990,000 baht on hand to assist them in other ways. Again, if you hire you tractor out for outside work you will be quaranteed, new or old tractor, to start losing money and buying tons of spare parts big time, especially with multiple drivers.

When you get settled here semi-permantly and have seen the process for tractor work then you can inquire again as to what is a good buy for a tractor for your situation (and try to be specific in the use that you have used your rented tractors). who knows by then India might be making something to rival the old Fords. the Tata trucks I've seen look mighty nice and I've seen some very complete basic tractors to 60 horse that look like they could do the job (just not for a long time) for very low prices, maybe they will get it together to have the dependability and endurance that Fords have shown over the last 75 years. I've owned 4 different ones and they are all still truckin' with a total lifetime of well over 200 years. I know for sure that in that time that they have operated that there has been less than 25% of their total cost spent on repair parts excluding normal maintenance things. For ex: the entire front wheel bearing assembly, inner and outer bearings, races, seals and grease, take out old,back in with the new, I delivered the entire front "hub and spindle" to the shop and the cost was about 25 Euros for a Ford 6610 wich is a very big 90 hp tractor. when it is time to sell you will always get what you paid for the tractor or more if you keep it in good shape and buy it right. choke dee and you surely know it is Fords Forever

We have around 70 Rai.

hey jokerman it's always good to say where you are from in regards to your farm. Having only sweetcorn to grow on 70 rai could require a cultivating tractor but if you forego this and only use a tractor to prepare for planting and then use hand labor for the cultivation then you will b e able to have many tractors to choose from. If you are having "many " people" driving it then I, and many others, would recommend that you hire out and have someone else do your work until you could be able to be hands-on observing your tractor doing its work. There are a million reasons that have repeated themselves a million times here and I'm not going into them. that said, a used Ford 6610 is probably your best buy. Nowhere are parts and qualified repairmen available like in Thailand with a Ford. they are cheap also, very very cheap for parts. If you are needing a tractor when the big rice preparation for planting isn't going on you will be able to find plenty of folks in Fords or most probably Kubotas that will be available to prepare your soil. In the long run you will be miles ahead as far as money is coincerned (yes, the family won't have the status of having a fine old Ford sitting in the front yard but you will still have 990,000 baht on hand to assist them in other ways. Again, if you hire you tractor out for outside work you will be quaranteed, new or old tractor, to start losing money and buying tons of spare parts big time, especially with multiple drivers.

When you get settled here semi-permantly and have seen the process for tractor work then you can inquire again as to what is a good buy for a tractor for your situation (and try to be specific in the use that you have used your rented tractors). who knows by then India might be making something to rival the old Fords. the Tata trucks I've seen look mighty nice and I've seen some very complete basic tractors to 60 horse that look like they could do the job (just not for a long time) for very low prices, maybe they will get it together to have the dependability and endurance that Fords have shown over the last 75 years. I've owned 4 different ones and they are all still truckin' with a total lifetime of well over 200 years. I know for sure that in that time that they have operated that there has been less than 25% of their total cost spent on repair parts excluding normal maintenance things. For ex: the entire front wheel bearing assembly, inner and outer bearings, races, seals and grease, take out old,back in with the new, I delivered the entire front "hub and spindle" to the shop and the cost was about 25 Euros for a Ford 6610 wich is a very big 90 hp tractor. when it is time to sell you will always get what you paid for the tractor or more if you keep it in good shape and buy it right. choke dee and you surely know it is Fords Forever

foreverford just read your quote on the "TATA" looks nice,

i wouldent touch one with a barge pole a mate of mine in uk bought a new one and within three years it totally fell apart and would never pass an MOT test the bodywork fell to pieces with rust and spares were a nightmare,

just worth a thought scotty

Hey thanks for the comments Mr Ford. The land is in phetchabun but we live in Pattaya. Im thinking the 90 HP Ford should be enough. The land is not really suitable for Rice and apparenlty Sweetcorn is there thing up there.

I was thinking of buying more due to the costs in renting and long term it would be more suitable to buy instead of wasting money on rental, though at least with rental you have no spare parts to buy I guess.

Do you know how much they would charge per Rai to plough/plant etc...? Vague estimate's would be good.

Am thinking a used 2nd hand Ford would be good enough as long as it passes an inspection plus I would need a few 2nd hand ploughs etc to do the work.

I was thinking that you would or could actually make money on renting your tractor out.

Thanks for you help.

Joker

Hey thanks for the comments Mr Ford. The land is in phetchabun but we live in Pattaya. Im thinking the 90 HP Ford should be enough. The land is not really suitable for Rice and apparenlty Sweetcorn is there thing up there.

I was thinking of buying more due to the costs in renting and long term it would be more suitable to buy instead of wasting money on rental, though at least with rental you have no spare parts to buy I guess.

Do you know how much they would charge per Rai to plough/plant etc...? Vague estimate's would be good.

Am thinking a used 2nd hand Ford would be good enough as long as it passes an inspection plus I would need a few 2nd hand ploughs etc to do the work.

I was thinking that you would or could actually make money on renting your tractor out.

Thanks for you help.

Joker

Joker,

I strongly advise that you start by hiring, for two reasons. Firstly look at the tractors being used, their fuel usage and implements used, time taken to achieve each step etc... then do your maths for the work on your own land. How many days/hours would the machine be used for your own stuff? Don't forget FEF's R&M budget of 25%. Your need to justify the purchase and ROI with that information IMHO.

As far as hiring it out I have nothing to add to FEF's comments on multiple drivers etc... other than don't! Just look at how most Thai farmers treat everything they use, wrong tool for the wrong job in too many cases. If it doesn't belong to them, Mai Pen Rai, which means Stiff Manure for your tractor.

Real example from two days ago, my Iseki used borrowed by the BIL. I had just had it serviced and some work done on the hydraulics. The hydraulic pump failed within a hour. "Mai Pen Rai, tractor old already!" said BIL who had started the day pulling down a tree with a chain connected to the rear of my plough.

I was going to plough in my rice yesterday so I had to hire a local guy to do it. 13 Rai Done in a day total cost, tractor (plough then rake), three guys broadcast sowing seeds plus supervisor, breakfast and lunch supplied was 3,750 baht.

I will get the tractor fixed but will limit the usage. Based on experience of the last few years would I do it again? No, watch and learn more first. Currently the hiring price is tumbling as more Thai farmers are buying tractors. Here ploughing costs 200THB/Rai. In 2008 that figure was 300 Baht.

Isaanaussie

Thanks for you help.

Joker

Joker,

I strongly advise that you start by hiring, for two reasons. Firstly look at the tractors being used, their fuel usage and implements used, time taken to achieve each step etc... then do your maths for the work on your own land. How many days/hours would the machine be used for your own stuff? Don't forget FEF's R&M budget of 25%. Your need to justify the purchase and ROI with that information IMHO.

As far as hiring it out I have nothing to add to FEF's comments on multiple drivers etc... other than don't! Just look at how most Thai farmers treat everything they use, wrong tool for the wrong job in too many cases. If it doesn't belong to them, Mai Pen Rai, which means Stiff Manure for your tractor.

Real example from two days ago, my Iseki used borrowed by the BIL. I had just had it serviced and some work done on the hydraulics. The hydraulic pump failed within a hour. "Mai Pen Rai, tractor old already!" said BIL who had started the day pulling down a tree with a chain connected to the rear of my plough.

I was going to plough in my rice yesterday so I had to hire a local guy to do it. 13 Rai Done in a day total cost, tractor (plough then rake), three guys broadcast sowing seeds plus supervisor, breakfast and lunch supplied was 3,750 baht.

I will get the tractor fixed but will limit the usage. Based on experience of the last few years would I do it again? No, watch and learn more first. Currently the hiring price is tumbling as more Thai farmers are buying tractors. Here ploughing costs 200THB/Rai. In 2008 that figure was 300 Baht.

Isaanaussie

Well dare you go Scotty as someone said earlier in regards to a Tata truck. He said never ever buy one and said why and you won't see me making that mistake. This link will probably go dead as ol' Issan Aussie dialed you in as perfect as it could be said. You have to love this site. A guy like you could blow a million on a tractor and be in a situation in less than a year to need to put another 1/3 of a million to get it in shape to sell for 3/4 of a million before you dump further money into it. this is a game (farming) that 50 year veterans lose at time and again because it is so difficyult (rise prices down 25% and probably going lower). tractors have been the downfall of so many farmers it is amazing buying the big turbo-charged 300 horsepower 8 wheel drive bad boys and missing a bunch of rain and someone getting hurt and med bills and then the monthly pAYMENTS TO THE TRACTOR shop and no crop for another year and more payments to the tractor shop and a busted axle on the old one with the hydraulic pump just a bout gone. This happens to people who lived with tractors and their use and repair.

Hire out for at least two years and ddon't worry what the in laws say just study the machine the implements the time and cost and then if you want to buy do so with the knowledge that at least you are out of farming kindergarden and are going to apply to farming high school, you'll know the names of the tools to maintain the machine learn the implements names aand uses and see what you find out about the different tractors. Remember same tractor different operator and a world of difference. Also a too small of a tractor will never even come close to the efficiency and quality of using a tractor at least big enough or bigger. Forget what I have just written and reread Issan Aussie he's got it spelled out for you perfectly. don't make a mistke way too many have done before. Do you mandatory homework and study the operation then make your choices. Choke dee watching a Ford work Forever.