Big Bike Driving Around Bkk Without License Plate?

chriz777

Ok, I'm going to ask very daring and perhaps to some stupid Q. But they have never been asked before.

Need ppl with real-live experience with REAL big bikes, not just nay-sayers or law-quoters, the law doesn't really 100% apply in Thailand in reality as we all know :)

the thing is I bought a big bike approx 6-7 months back with no license plate but with all the proper invoice papers.

I was living in Samui at the time and things are pretty laid back in Samui, min police harrasements... esp if you pay for a lil sticker (that you put on your bike) which will provide you "police protection".

Prior to receiving the sticker your bike invoice papers etc will get briefly verified. So you can drive around samui without license plate etc.

Now the problem is I moved to BKK and I brought my bike here, the problem is ....

1. I dont have a license plate... / green book.

2. My bike is a bit loud, as I have a custom made exhaust with no muffler (real nice sound). I can of course not full throttle in all area's.

I know it is a bit of a stupid Q, and I've read alot and I'm sure I'll get alot of "DO NOT" replies... but I am wondering... I seen and know of alot / ALOT of non-plated bikes in BKK. I've seen several driving around (at Night).

How do they drive around, and how abt the police will they really confiscated it? Or can you just pay them a lil bribe (as per standard).

Do police even check per standard your REAL papers, like green book etc (I mean how many of you even carry around your green book around???) What do police actually check.

My belief is that police will just briefly check your bike and try to fine you for the whatever(stupid) reason possible to get some money.

If you play nice you or just pay them between 100-200b they will let you pass. (witnessed this 1st hand)

Do they REALLY care you have a license plate or not?

If they just briefly check (I dont think they actually check in their computer - if they even have one, or time -lazy coppers) then technically it would be possible to put an license plate of my HONDA wave for example on my BIG bike. They wouldn't know anyways..

I mean I would love to buy a license plate and green book but at the moment it is too expensive for me.... and will take awhile. So how to go about it???

You have all your own beliefs now go and do it

The worst that can happen is you get arrested and your bike gets repo'd by the cops

If you are willing to do the crime, be willing to do the time if you get caught

Quote: : "I mean I would love to buy a license plate and green book but at the moment it is too expensive for me.... and will take awhile. So how to go about it???'

Quote: "My bike is a bit loud, as I have a custom made exhaust with no muffler"

I feel for you, man. I feel compelled to help you out here. Okay. Here's how you go about it. You can afford a custom muffler to insure that people trying to sleep, can't sleep. You can probably afford a lot of other stuff that contributes to your personal pleasure. I just make that guess based on the "reasoning" and "logic" that you have put on display here. You sound like a real winner contributing to the ol' society and the ol' society is just screwing you over. Man! I just really feel for you.

So, here's what you gotta do. Go back to where you came from. If your parents are still living, tell them that they have really left out some things concerning your upbringing and education in the ways of life. If they aren't living, find a kind uncle. Anyway, tell them your problem and they will see that they have indeed short-changed you on how to get along in the world. Forgive them for that. You were obviously a handful. Of course, the first thing they will explain is that you need the proper amount of money in the bank to live the kind of life you want. Maybe they can help you get a job and save some money for that green book and license plate. In the telling of the story, they will also hear that they haven't properly instilled in you the desire to be decent in other people's countries. They will slowly explain another principle to you, kind of a "When in Rome, act like you were raised by decent people" kind of thing. Listen carefully to this part. When in Rome, you aren't a Roman. And when you're in Thailand, you're not a Thai. Some of them can't afford the book and plate. They couldn't even afford the Honda Dream they bought IF it was legal and had all the papers. The fact that it didn't have all the papers was why it was cheap enough for them to buy it.

You're a Farang. You're a guest here, along with tens of thousands more of us. You came here because it is nice, warm, cheap and whatever else tripped your trigger. Now you want to know how to get over, to get out of paying what is due the government? Oh, yeah! Thailand needs more of you. All of the advantages you have in your guest country aren't enough, are they?

Man, take responsibility for yourself. Go home. Get a job. Save your money. Come back when you can afford to live here. You, with your ME!, ME!, ME! way of thinking only make things harder for the ethical people that contribute to this good thing we have here in Thailand.

When you get home, PM me, let me know how the new job is going. Say "HI" to your parents for me. Trust me, I'll never let them know how you dishonoured them on a public forum like you did. Your secret is safe with me. While you're away, I'll keep you posted on the weather and relevant news. Man, we're sure gonna miss you while you're away. And let me know when you get back to Thailand. I'm REALLY anxious to see what number they give you for your new, fully paid license plate. Some of those numbers are really lucky, ya know? Man, you're gonna be so proud and so are Mom and Dad. Gosh! I'm just so excited for you! chriz777 is going to be all grown up next time we see him. WOW!!

You're welcome.

I am going to try to give you constructive answers and avoid the justified disbielief leading to the abrupt approach of some of the posters (who are right to be upset by the way)

They- POLICE- REALLY do care you have a license plate

Some of them do even care about the proper size of the plate

There is no such a thing as If they just briefly check as they check the green book (btw you are required to carry it when driving), they check whether the colour of your bike matches the one registered in the book, they check insurance and yearly tax stickers

So the big unplated bikes you have see around might be the one of the coppers who will eventually check/arrest you

You seem to underestimate Police officers in general and Thai Policemen in particular; they are VERY efficient

"They wouldn't know anyways" Just try them

Police protection: Ooops it is not quite it, is it? Strange insight

This is why I would advise you not to drive farther than the corner of your soi, if you must, or get the papers done ...mind you, if you don't, we will certainly hear from you complaining about how corrupt or how unfair Police have been to you

Play by the book, the green one that is

Edited by alyx

Likely you will lose the bike in something of between 2 weeks up to 2 months, then it will be available for you to fix the registration/license issue. But if the bike need emission testing or road safety inspection you very likely to lose the bike forever... Ministry of Justice will not release the bike to the department of transport... very depressing ...

So better fix the paperwork before you get on the road...

Have a chunk 'o change for bribing the cops and try your luck.

But in Bangkok you should know the police are pretty strict and hungry for cash, your cash!

Remember they do have the power to seize a bike and impound it...

Not a cool thing if you rely on your bike to get around all the time...

I went shopping last week for a big bike. The Shop I visited was selling brand new, imported bikes. I was quoted 500k THB for a 1 litre Yamaha naked ( can't remember the model). I asked if the price included a plate, it didn't. The Shop owners quoted an additional 80k for the plate, ( although there was a poster saying all taxes had been paid?) If I didn't want to pay the 80k, I could use the shop plate? How does that work? How many other bikes are also carrying the same plate? Could make for an interesting bike meet one day when we all turn up with the same number??

I guess the trouble is that without an enforced set of rules, everybody wants to test the limits.

Tkx Alxy for the nice constructive reply, unlike some other poster, didn't even wanted to waste my eyes reading his useless comment in full.

Why have a big shiny bike in the first place you dont want to go fast and make lil noise along the way... It doesn't mean I dont believe in safety or respect others on the road, I mean I might as well be riding a 100cc honda wave... which is prob too much power 4 kandahar to drive... he might wet his diapers. I didn't say I wanted to do any such stupid thing in my soi or quiet neighbourhoods and wake up the baby, but in proper road, so don't be an smart-ass, trying to post your frustration and be a big guy on the forum with your bashing remarks when you prob are one of those old guys who pick up bargirl / guys on the weekend.

Also to clarify I dont want to drive the bike as a primary vehicle, I have car. At the time I bought the bike it was going economically well for me, but time changed and I am not in the position to afford a green book right now, even if I did it would take at least 4-6 months before I could "legally" drive... wud be a shame not to drive it....

I dont mean to upset anybody in anyway posting this, and to some it maybe like a good opening to post some of their frustrations behind their keyboard...

The truth is, and I'm sure many can testify.... in most cases they (the police, the ones on the street-traffic police) dont really care abt crime or the such, they dont even want to officially fine ppl, they just want you to say, "in thai" choi noi, help alittle and be polite and give them 100-200 baht and off you go... It is very typical almost all thai know this (i personally dont know any thai who dont), I've seen it so many times and it normally wud officially cost you 400 baht but it would take you a whole day to get a stupid bill like that paid, and they wont make money... so give them 100 baht and they let you pass. Believe it or not, corruption is a part of life here in thailand from grass-roots down to political parties up. You can turn a blind eye or just take it as it is... like I do, farang or not... I dont mind paying bribe it will save me trouble, I accept it as the way that it is... I can of course be all hero abt it and try to make a losing case out of it... or you just pay they happy and u happy you dont have trouble... I mean the whole reason we can't have affordable bikes right now is that they want money and there is basically no legal way to go about it but spend ALOT of money... which not everybody has.

What I am truly wondering is, there are ALOT and I mean ALOT of bikes in bkk 90% are unlicensed, just like @justchillin posts, that dont have license plate or either license plate from the shop. I Didn't even know you can get a temp license from the shop (which of course is a bit on the grey side / illigal side but most likely endorsed by coppers).. so that is good INFO.... Tkx Justchilling....

I just want to know how do they go about it? Are police genuinly confiscating it? Who has experience with that? Also there must be some of you who drive unlicensed with a big bike in BKK so post your experience... I know the rule of the game in Samui but in BKK is a different story, not everything is black and white in bkk, there is alot of grey where most of the ppl live... so I'm sure there are some grey rules...

These are just normal Q. I need real life experience not just ppl who say they "know" they are going to do such and such... and even if they impound it, knowing the right ppl (connections) will get you your bike back just like that. I mean if you have enough money you can get away with murder (as sad as it sounds), as I've seen happen quite a few times... TiT.

And the coppers dont drive 1000cc big bike kawasaki's that I saw unlicensed driving thru BKK...

Edited by chriz777

Tkx Alxy for the nice constructive reply, unlike some other poster, didn't even wanted to waste my eyes reading his useless comment in full.

Why have a big shiny bike in the first place you dont want to go fast and make lil noise along the way... It doesn't mean I dont believe in safety or respect others on the road, I mean I might as well be riding a 100cc honda wave... which is prob too much power 4 kandahar to drive... he might wet his diapers. I didn't say I wanted to do any such stupid thing in my soi or quiet neighbourhoods and wake up the baby, but in proper road, so don't be an smart-ass, trying to post your frustration and be a big guy on the forum with your bashing remarks when you prob are one of those old guys who pick up bargirl / guys on the weekend.

Also to clarify I dont want to drive the bike as a primary vehicle, I have car. At the time I bought the bike it was going economically well for me, but time changed and I am not in the position to afford a green book right now, even if I did it would take at least 4-6 months before I could "legally" drive... wud be a shame not to drive it....

I dont mean to upset anybody in anyway posting this, and to some it maybe like a good opening to post some of their frustrations behind their keyboard...

The truth is, and I'm sure many can testify.... in most cases they (the police, the ones on the street-traffic police) dont really care abt crime or the such, they dont even want to officially fine ppl, they just want you to say, "in thai" choi noi, help alittle and be polite and give them 100-200 baht and off you go... It is very typical almost all thai know this (i personally dont know any thai who dont), I've seen it so many times and it normally wud officially cost you 400 baht but it would take you a whole day to get a stupid bill like that paid, and they wont make money... so give them 100 baht and they let you pass. Believe it or not, corruption is a part of life here in thailand from grass-roots down to political parties up. You can turn a blind eye or just take it as it is... like I do, farang or not... I dont mind paying bribe it will save me trouble, I accept it as the way that it is... I can of course be all hero abt it and try to make a losing case out of it... or you just pay they happy and u happy you dont have trouble... I mean the whole reason we can't have affordable bikes right now is that they want money and there is basically no legal way to go about it but spend ALOT of money... which not everybody has.

What I am truly wondering is, there are ALOT and I mean ALOT of bikes in bkk 90% are unlicensed, just like @justchillin posts, that dont have license plate or either license plate from the shop. I Didn't even know you can get a temp license from the shop (which of course is a bit on the grey side / illigal side but most likely endorsed by coppers).. so that is good INFO.... Tkx Justchilling....

I just want to know how do they go about it? Are police genuinly confiscating it? Who has experience with that? Also there must be some of you who drive unlicensed with a big bike in BKK so post your experience... I know the rule of the game in Samui but in BKK is a different story, not everything is black and white in bkk, there is alot of grey where most of the ppl live... so I'm sure there are some grey rules...

These are just normal Q. I need real life experience not just ppl who say they "know" they are going to do such and such... and even if they impound it, knowing the right ppl (connections) will get you your bike back just like that. I mean if you have enough money you can get away with murder (as sad as it sounds), as I've seen happen quite a few times... TiT.

And the coppers dont drive 1000cc big bike kawasaki's that I saw unlicensed driving thru BKK...

Nice job, two crocks of sh*t in very short order. :)

Irrespective of what others do, riding your machine as described in the OP is breaking the law & will most likely lead to a hefty on the spot fine, the bike getting confiscated, & and maybe a court appearance. You cannot use the "what about the other riders who are doing it" as a defence.

The OP has his answer, and any more commentary is likely to be inflamatory.

Closed.