Thai ubc breaking tv events

Luma

As a subsciber of UBC, I am astonished how they can have the power to interrupt the broadcasts on CNN, BBC, CNBC and other channels to show the blue UBC message screen and play that annoying elevator music.

Whay don't they just play the commercials instead of breaking the programs.

If that censur department idiots at least could understand and diversify what is programming and commercials.... Sometimes they turn on the regular broadcast several seconds into the news programs!

Is there really no alternative to this unprofessional UBC?

• 1 year later...

I watch a lot of UBC and it looks like it's cut with a meat cleaver.

I watch mainly Discovery and BBC WORLD and occasionally Star Movies and I'll often watch a programme before I go to bed and switch on the telly the following morning only to see the same one, but generally I can't complain.

One more thing, Isn't it a red message screen with quirky lift music?

I watch mainly Discovery and BBC WORLD and occasionally Star Movies and I'll often watch a programme before I go to bed and switch on the telly the following morning only to see the same one, but generally I can't complain.

Same at my house,,shitty music and a red screen

Same at my house,,shitty music and a red screen

Perhaps those with DTH get the red screen - those of us on real cable just get the blue type.

The reason is that UBC is not allowed to permit any advertising (the free to air stations have a lock on that and don't want to release it). They have been trying for years to get this restriction removed so if you want to write your elected official they will be more than happy. :o

Nope,don't need no commercials,but pay systems in the USA do not have commercials and the programs do not break,,but they subscribe to the producers and pay for the programs and UBC just sucks them from the ether and charges you for em.so therefore no cash outlay for programing and more cash in the pocket,let em show the commercials and they will raise rates cause they will be showing you more and will also be getting the comm.pay,,but you will get to see it also.

The reason is that UBC is not allowed to permit any advertising (the free to air stations have a lock on that and don't want to release it). They have been trying for years to get this restriction removed so if you want to write your elected official they will be more than happy. :o

A few years ago I saw a note on UBC that said something like, "We are polling our UBC subscribers to find out how many of you would like to see the commercials instead of these public announcements. Please let us know your comments"

Problem is there was *no contact info listed*!!!!! I wound up sending an email to an address I found on the UBC website and of course got no response.

Whay don't they just play the commercials instead of breaking the programs.

Advertising money is not infinite.

And in Thailand, they still prefer some of it to go to the "official" channels.

For obvious reasons.

And maybe they think that more of it is going to these channels if not allowed to be seen on UBC channels.

Perhaps those with DTH get the red screen - those of us on real cable just get the blue type.

This post was started on Tuesday 18th of February 2003, maybe a year and a half ago it was a blue screen?

I have also taken note that it is now a lovely red color on my cable service. Maybe I got confused with computer? :o

Nope,don't need no commercials,but pay systems in the USA do not have commercials and the programs do not break,,but they subscribe to the producers and pay for the programs and UBC just sucks them from the ether and charges you for em.so therefore no cash outlay for programing and more cash in the pocket,let em show the commercials and they will raise rates cause they will be showing you more and will also be getting the comm.pay,,but you will get to see it also.

Untrue. :o

UBC is among (the few?) that do pay for programming. The reason is their contract to provide cable service does not allow advertisements of any kind; including feed thru.

I find it very annoying that if you watch a Discovery Channel program that in one hour you are shown the same trailers about six times. However, having just returned fro a trip to the UK I found UBC better than the UK TV now!

When I was living in Hong Kong in the late 90s it was the same with Cable TV there - you paid a subscription every month so they were not allowed to show adverts (because the free-to-air channels had that sewn up). They also had inane messages that they used to show and also had the habit of showing the first few seconds of commercials and missing the first few seconds when the programme restarted.

After a couple of years, the commercials mysteriously appeared. I don't think there was any change in the regulations but they just started showing them. Maybe the guy with his finger on the button resigned?! :D

I wonder if there is any hope of this happening with UBC? Somehow I can't see that laissez-faire attitude spreading across from Hong Kong...

The really annoying thing is that some of the channels (e.g. BBC World) have their own feed for non-commercial channels. We used to watch it in Finland and a lot of the time, the commercial break was filled with BBC World advertising what programs were coming, etc. - they weren't proper commercials (so the TV company didn't get any additional money and the free-to-air didn't lose any) but they were better than the UBC red screen! Why don't they just show that here? Or do they think that I'd rather see which school is accepting kids and what fun they're going to have on the UBC family rally... :o

This thread appears fro time to time on this board and no doubt on almost every board concerning Thailand. There are also regular letters to the editor of The Bangkok Post and the Nation all criticisng UBC for this horrendous state of affairs.

Personally I believe that the reply which the spokespeople of UBC routinely send to newspapaers in answer to this should also be pinned to these message boards.

As Lopburi has stated it is really beyond UBC's control.

They are not allowed by law or their contract to show these advertisements. They would love to air them as it would mean additional revenues. These ads come from regional channels ESPN, CNN,AXN etc etc where ads are the norm.

The choice of UBC is to either show their red/ blue screen (or something similar) or not take up the programming. What else do you suggest?

The various channels are supposed to provide UBC with the timing of their advertisement breaks in order that UBC might fill the time professionally. i suppose a combination of slight variations in timing and the 'switch operator' taking too long over his ciggie break account for the lack of perfection.

I for one would not wish to see UBC fold - it is only just surviving as it is - what would be the alternative? Purchasing my own gigantic satellite dish or terrestial Thai tv channels

I understand that revenues now come only in the form of subscriptions to its service. Each year they ask the government to be allowed to air the ads.

A request that is denied.

Next we will be getting the thread that decries UBC's choice of movies which I have seen on thai boards from time to time as if UBC actually tell HBO what to show.

The reason is that UBC is not allowed to permit any advertising (the free to air stations have a lock on that and don't want to release it).  They have been trying for years to get this restriction removed so if you want to write your elected official they will be more than happy. :D

A few years ago I saw a note on UBC that said something like, "We are polling our UBC subscribers to find out how many of you would like to see the commercials instead of these public announcements. Please let us know your comments"

Problem is there was *no contact info listed*!!!!! I wound up sending an email to an address I found on the UBC website and of course got no response.

the address is [email protected]

I agree that these bloody ads (or what ever you want to call them) are a pain in the arse particularly when they are all in Thai.

I have given UBC my 'pan haa bahts' worth a couple of times and "surprise, surprise" have even had replies but of course no change to the "sh1t, we got you over the barrel service" :o

I have to say though that their customer service is not bad. Anytime I have had a problem they have been fairly quick in responding (I mean when compared with the standard Thai times to respond to anything)