Wooden Shack Knocking Shops

WOOHOO

Anyone know what the crack with those horrible wooden shacks on the 4027 is? The ones on the left, a couple of hundred yards from the roundabout. They look like their main clientele would be Burmese builders and worse. I don't understand how they have managed to be there for several years without anybody building on the land. It's something that's puzzled me for a long time and I thought maybe someone might know something, like who owns the land or operates the bars. Or even better still, has anyone ever been inside one of them. I dread to think what the girls must look like if that's the best place they can find work.

not sure what hole you crawled out of but your comment about the ""Burmese builders or worse ""is very offensive to me , what puts you above anyone ?? as the other poster stated it is a part of Thailand , if you dont like it take your racist arse and leave ......

They are Karaoke bars.

And a part of Thai society similar to Bangla road for sexpats.

Perhaps you would enjoy if they are torn down and a Tesco Lotus is put up in their place.

Is it New Jersey you are looking for? Or Thailand?

They are Karaoke bars to be found all over LOS.

A part of thai society, which Bangla road is NOT

Tesco Lotus is step by step becoming a part of thai society too.

The land is owned by the landowners, and they choose to rent it to businesses operating according to thai traditions.

Whats Burmese got to do with it?

BTW, why do you think they are often close to a police station? and why do some customers wear brown trousers, black shoes and white tshirts? could it be thai culture?

Edited by katabeachbum

Firstly I would like to say how surprised I was, to how sensitive some TV members where to my post. Careful up there on those horses it's a long way down. Has everyone who replied to my post actually seen these bars? I think I'm well within my rights to say that those buildings are an absolute eye sore, and if this post is still open tomorrow, I'll post a picture and we'll see if anyone agrees. As for saying that they are a part of normal Thai society, I beg to differ. I have asked several Thais that I know and they all grimaced and said they wouldn't go near the place. All you people that commented, you ask your Thai friends and we'll see what they say, the same I bet. So who does that leave? The more undesirable members of society maybe.

For those of you that look in the mirror and don't think that you are morally and intellectually superior to the average Burmese labourer, then I feel very sorry for you. I will also be wanting words with you later, because perhaps it was you committing all those burglaries in my area recently! Anyway to say a bar is frequented by Burmese builders is not a racist comment. Implying that a lot of Burmese immigrants are criminals is also not racist, just simple observations.

Lastly, and most importantly, because it was the thing that I found most confusing. Where else on a main road in Phuket, will such shacks survive for several years, without someone knocking them down and building proper buildings? With the value of land, and the amount of development, I cant think of anywhere else.

I think you will find that there are not many examples of such buildings, being in such a prominent place, for such a long period of time anywhere else on the island, so forgive me for my intrigue.

For those of you that look in the mirror and don't think that you are morally and intellectually superior to the average Burmese labourer, then I feel very sorry for you.

The above statement you don't consider racist?

Implying that a lot of Burmese immigrants are criminals is also not racist, just simple observations.

How many is a lot? 5%? 50?

You've observed that Burmese are criminals yourself, or, have you been listening to the Thais who generally hate all Burmese as they are the ancestral enemy.

Sad creature you are WOOHOO.

Might as well dump this thread.

Firstly I would like to say how surprised I was, to how sensitive some TV members where to my post. Careful up there on those horses it's a long way down. Has everyone who replied to my post actually seen these bars? I think I'm well within my rights to say that those buildings are an absolute eye sore, and if this post is still open tomorrow, I'll post a picture and we'll see if anyone agrees. As for saying that they are a part of normal Thai society, I beg to differ. I have asked several Thais that I know and they all grimaced and said they wouldn't go near the place. All you people that commented, you ask your Thai friends and we'll see what they say, the same I bet. So who does that leave? The more undesirable members of society maybe.

For those of you that look in the mirror and don't think that you are morally and intellectually superior to the average Burmese labourer, then I feel very sorry for you. I will also be wanting words with you later, because perhaps it was you committing all those burglaries in my area recently! Anyway to say a bar is frequented by Burmese builders is not a racist comment. Implying that a lot of Burmese immigrants are criminals is also not racist, just simple observations.

Lastly, and most importantly, because it was the thing that I found most confusing. Where else on a main road in Phuket, will such shacks survive for several years, without someone knocking them down and building proper buildings? With the value of land, and the amount of development, I cant think of anywhere else.

I think you will find that there are not many examples of such buildings, being in such a prominent place, for such a long period of time anywhere else on the island, so forgive me for my intrigue.

you have tickets on yourself and i think whatever meds you are on need to be checked as the doses are making you delusional !!! these people have almost nothing in the way of possessions or cash , but what they have and you will never have one is a SOUL you redneck jerk !!!

The Burmese issue wasn't really the main focus of my post, but conversations often veer from where they started, so I hope it doesn't get closed again. It is a known fact that immigrant labourers are a high offenders in Thai society. It doesn't take a genius to work out why they commit so much crime. They are here doing jobs that Thais don't want to do, for less than minimum wage, of course a high number of them will commit crime, to say otherwise is as naive as can be. Do I dislike Burmese people because of this? Of course I don't. Am I racist? 100% not. Facts are facts weather they are pretty or not. Am I better than the Burmese labourer who commits crime? Of course I am.

My interest in those bars was a justified one, regardless of who frequents them. Unless somebody can tell me other places they are on the island that I've missed.

but what they have and you will never have one is a SOUL you redneck jerk !!!

I'm not sure, but don't you need to be an American to qualify as a Redneck?

To defend Immigrant labourers in their entirety and to suggest that they all have wonderful souls is most ammusing. I hope you or your family doesn't end up on the wrong end of one of their wonderful souls one day. We'll see how welcoming you are then.

Anyway it would seem no one has any local knowledge to share, as most times, lots of hot air but no facts.