Adsl In Korat

buadhai

Got ADSL from TT&T up and running in Korat about two weeks after we applied for it. Our house had no phone line, so first that had to go in and ADSL followed about a week later. Had to go with TT&T as TOT said no ADSL service in our area (T. Baan Mai - a few K west of Korat). TT&T had one free port....

Provider is ISSP. There were other choices (LoxInfo, etc.).

Had to buy an ADSL modem/router as I didn't want to sign a year long contract in order to get the "free" ADSL USB modem offered by TT&T. The only modem available here was a Dlink DSL-500T. After attempting to set it up without success was informed by TT&T that it needed a firmware update. They pointed me to an updater on their site, but that was for a DSL-500G. Finally found a Thailand-specific updater for the 500T on Dlink's Singapore site.

Updater worked OK (even on a Mac - :D ), but I had to hard reset the modem afterwards. I suspect my pre-update settings were causing the post-update modem to hang on startup until I cleared them out.

Updated modem/router works fine. Am using a Linksys wireless router as a switch and wireless bridge to serve a wired iMac, a wireless PowerBook and a wireless Airport Express to send iTunes music to the stereo.

Bandwidth is close to what was advertised: 256/128. Couldn't get anyone to offer anything faster in our area. Cost is 1400 per month. High, I know. But you take what you can get.

Overall, getting this up and running was more tedious than I expected. I suspect a non-technical person would have a tough time of it.

Now that I've done this once I feel a bit more confident and would be glad to try to help anyone who needs it.

:o

Good work Mike.

Nice to know broadband can be had upcountry with reasonable effort.

Soon (we hope), EDGE should be available all over LOS and then wireless broadband will be ubiquitous for those outside Bangkok.

Your on !

I will need your help around the 25th of next month . I will pm you when it gets closer. Computers hate me .

It is to bad that TOT will not go more than 5k from their office in Korat . I would love the speed that they get at the internet cafe in The mall .

Also I can show you some houses very nearby . If you have'nt found one by that time .

Jeff

Glad to help when you need it Jeff. And, I probably will be ready to look at some houses then.

--

I should add that the ADSL is fast enough for me to do a video chat (one-way via iChat) with my Mom who is in the States. She reports the video was clear and steady with no drop-outs. Audio was crystal clear and full duplex.

Edited by mgnewman

Glad to help when you need it Jeff. And, I probably will be ready to look at some houses then.

--

I should add that the ADSL is fast enough for me to do a video chat (one-way via iChat) with my Mom who is in the States. She reports the video was clear and steady with no drop-outs. Audio was crystal clear and full duplex.

Thank you , see you then .