Travelling From Uk To Thailand

I have been living with my Thai Civil Partner in the UK now for over 3 years. He now has his British Citizenship and soon he will hopefully get his British Passport. We are due to travel to Thailand in April and we was wondering which would be the best passport for him to use to travel. Their are obvious times when you need to produce your passport:

On booking your tickets and on checking in at the airport

Going through passport control at the UK airport

Going through customs at Bangkok airport

Showing ID when checking into hotels etc.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences that would assist us.

Many Thanks

Edited by logansmith

The standard procedure is:-

UK to Thailand

Checking in with airline at UK port of departure- Show Thai passport to show one can enter Thailand without restriction.

In the unlikely event of being asked for a passport by UK immigration when leaving- Show British passport to show one is in the UK legally.

On arrival in Thailand- Show Thai immigration Thai passport.

Thailand to UK

Checking in- Show British passport so airline knows you can enter the UK. They may want to see the Thai passport too as the British one wont have an entry stamp; but that's not really their problem.

At Thai passport control- Show Thai passport.

On arrival in the UK- Join the UK/EU queue and show British passport.

Most travel agents don't want to see a passport when you book your ticket; if they do then show the Thai one.

For checking into hotels etc., use his Thai ID card.

How long are you going for? I've got Thai friends in the UK and if they're going for a holiday they always use their British passports. If you're going for more than 30 days you'll need to get tourist visas for both of you.

How long are you going for? I've got Thai friends in the UK and if they're going for a holiday they always use their British passports. If you're going for more than 30 days you'll need to get tourist visas for both of you.

We are going for just 3 weeks.............

Endure, why do they do that?

Using their British passports to enter Thailand means that they will be treated as British by Thai immigration!

Both Thailand and the UK allow dual nationality, so following the procedure above wont cause any problems. My wife and step-daughter have done so many times.

The standard procedure is:-

UK to Thailand

Checking in with airline at UK port of departure- Show Thai passport to show one can enter Thailand without restriction.

In the unlikely event of being asked for a passport by UK immigration when leaving- Show British passport to show one is in the UK legally.

On arrival in Thailand- Show Thai immigration Thai passport.

Thailand to UK

Checking in- Show British passport so airline knows you can enter the UK. They may want to see the Thai passport too as the British one wont have an entry stamp; but that's not really their problem.

At Thai passport control- Show Thai passport.

On arrival in the UK- Join the UK/EU queue and show British passport.

Most travel agents don't want to see a passport when you book your ticket; if they do then show the Thai one.

For checking into hotels etc., use his Thai ID card.

7by7, thank you very much for your detailed response. I would just like to answer further to your point about showing thai ID in hotels. My partner does get a bit angry with the way he is treated by some hotel staff as opposed to the way they deal with me, now he has british citizenship he was looking forward to giving his British Passport as ID. Is there any particular reason why you say use Thai ID?

Many thanks

Endure, it's up to them, of course.

But using and carrying both passports is not difficult, and using their Thai one to enter Thailand does mean they can stay longer than 30 days without any hassle should they need to change plans.

My partner does get a bit angry with the way he is treated by some hotel staff as opposed to the way they deal with me, now he has british citizenship he was looking forward to giving his British Passport as ID. Is there any particular reason why you say use Thai ID?

If he uses his British passport then the hotel will usually want to see the blue form stapled in his passport when he entered (I forget what it's called) which he wont have in that passport if he used his Thai passport to enter.

Apart from one incident in a hotel in Pattaya (God knows what the receptionist thought I intended doing with my wife, her sister, her daughter, her son and his girlfriend!) which was solved with profuse apologies and a discount after insisting on speaking to the manager; we have had no problems using her ID when booking into hotels. Indeed, on some occasions it has meant we get the Thai price rather than the Falang one!

My partner does get a bit angry with the way he is treated by some hotel staff as opposed to the way they deal with me, now he has british citizenship he was looking forward to giving his British Passport as ID. Is there any particular reason why you say use Thai ID?

If he uses his British passport then the hotel will usually want to see the blue form stapled in his passport when he entered (I forget what it's called) which he wont have in that passport if he used his Thai passport to enter.

Apart from one incident in a hotel in Pattaya (God knows what the receptionist thought I intended doing with my wife, her sister, her daughter, her son and his girlfriend!) which was solved with profuse apologies and a discount after insisting on speaking to the manager; we have had no problems using her ID when booking into hotels. Indeed, on some occasions it has meant we get the Thai price rather than the Falang one!

lol :)

Just one more thing,

Some Airlines are now requesting passport details for all non domestic travel, when you make your booking, or prior to travel.

So if you are requested to furnish an Agent or an Airline with your passport details, that will have to be the passport you check-in with.