Airport Rail Link Likely Faces Further Delay

bubba

From TR Weekly:

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2010/01/airp...ces-more-delay/

Airport Link faces more delay

January 11, 2010 by Rapeepat Mantanarat

It is very unlikely that Airport Link can start commercial operations this April as earlier announced. The service now faces delays, possibly until August. State Railway of Thailand governor, Yuthana Thapchareon, talked to the Thai press after visiting the project, last week, noting there are still three main areas that have not been completed. They are: communications system between stations especially those that link the system to the police in case of security or safety related incident; installation of CCTV and gate systems at some stations. They will need to be certified by an Independent Safety and System Certification Engineer before the Airport Link can be opened for services.

After inspection, SRT did not approved the rail system and electronic and mechanic system contracted by B Grimm International. No reason for this decision was given. More importantly, SRT has missed the deadline to set up a subsidiary company to manage the Airport Link. It has also failed to hire more than 30% of a required 400 staff who will be needed to run the service. They also require training.

Accoding to the original contract, the rail link was supposed to be operational in 2008, but disagreements between the SRT and its union as well as delays in the handover of land for stations were the main culprits.

After inspection, SRT did not approve the rail system and electronic and mechanic system contracted by B Grimm International. No reason for this decision was given.

Are these "real" issues? The test run went well by everyone's estimation, so why are they complaining now? Is this so that they can delay and open on a more "auspicious" date? It seems that any big project can only open on two days of the year, one in August, and one in December. While that is very nice, it makes for a very inefficient system!

Or is this a delay from the opposition, who can't stand to have things work properly while the current government is in power?

Crossy, have you heard about any of this? Aside from the split in the SRT, this seemed ready to go! :)

Edited by Meridian007

"there are still three main areas that have not been completed. They are: communications system between stations especially those that link the system to the police in case of security or safety related incident; installation of CCTV and gate systems at some stations. After inspection, SRT did not approved the rail system and electronic and mechanic system contracted by B Grimm International... It has also failed to hire more than 30% of a required 400 staff who will be needed to run the service. They also require training."

it's at leat 4 problems, and of course "tests" had to be succesfull, the whole thailand and the coutry pride was on stake. Would anybody dare to say on the first day of opening: because there is no ticket fare, you are riding on your own risk of being injured or killed.

ps the airport has opened in september, as I remember

"at leat 4 problem..."

You seemed to have adopted the Thai government's perspective on any situation: everything is a "crisis". There are several things that need to be completed before the airport link is opened. I'm not sure why you think it's a "problem".

"ps the airport has opened in september, as I remember"

"Opened in September"? What does that mean? It opened several years ago, and I guess that means you think there's a problem...

Edited by hhgz

Crossy, have you heard about any of this? Aside from the split in the SRT, this seemed ready to go! :)

I've certainly heard April possibly August (Queens Birthday), but it's unclear exactly what the main issues are. Most likely lack of evacuation paths at Makasan (from the City Line platform) and issues with the signaling. The ICE (Independent Certification Engineer) hasn't signed off on anything yet.

The revenue collection system is working but has no link with the proposed clearing house which would allow a common ticket.

No trial running with a full timetable has been performed as yet, so expect at least 2 months of that.

Darn, I was really hoping that they'd get it together for this.

"ps the airport has opened in september, as I remember"

"Opened in September"? What does that mean? It opened several years ago, and I guess that means you think there's a problem...

He was responding to my post about August and December. I wonder if this one deviated from the usual pattern because it was Thaksin's little project, and when he was in power, he didn't seem to honour the respect that those months are traditionally given...

I'm all for respect in those cases, but it would be nice if this opened in April! :)

It's not signaling or anything. The main problem here is certification. No one is going to certify the safety of the new system until everything is 100% and that includes the insurance of the system.

And BTW, it is not delayed. The "insider's" information of the opening of the ARL has always been August 2010. That April 2010 was just a P/R ploy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 questions on this:-

What are the latest estimates on opening? The latest estimate seems to be August, but it's only an estimate and there have been a few false starts.

Where, within the airport complex, is the Station? I understand it's on or just under the ground floor, I did see a sign on the ground floor, but I didn't check it out. There were some photos in the early days.

I had a dream that certification would be slow so as to squeeze maximum kick-back from the contractor. Then I woke up.

Politicians & Ministers change from time to time & each one needs to "wet his beak".

Edited by powderpuff

A small birdie tells me that a free service from Phaya Thai to Suranabhumi (no intermediate stations) will commence some time towards the end of April :D

No idea of operating times or frequency :)

A small birdie tells me that a free service from Phaya Thai to Suranabhumi (no intermediate stations) will commence some time towards the end of April :D

No idea of operating times or frequency :)

That seems to be rushing things. Surely it would be much more auspicious to wait for the King's Birthday on December 5th as usual....