Thailand Pork Party Poll!

Jingthing

Do you eat more pork while in Thailand?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I eat much more pork in Thailand! In the US I ate a lot more beef. But the beef in Thailand is awful and the pork is pretty darned good, so there you go, or rather, there goes the pig.

How about you?

Frankly, when I was a tourist here I hardly noticed the pork thing, but wanted to include everyone.

Oink. Oink.

worked in smithfield meat market(london) most of my life, for a catering butcher. i would say that in thailand the pigs are raised in a more free range kind of way.it reflects in the taste and tuffness of the pork when cooked. also over here, they tend to use the whole pig, wheather it be, a pork steak, a chop, the back which is usually dried and then used to as (moo-kop) the use of the off cuts, innards, nose, ears etc...

having said that the real issue for me is finding good smoked/ unsmoked back bacon. although in the west salt and water is used to bulk up the weight, therefore the resaon to charge more, the taste remains far more superiour. most of the bacon i find over here has alot of fat and just shrinks into an ineadable piece of crisp fat.

also thai are not particulary keen on eating anything that has not been cooked, ie. slow cooked over a few days, fried or had the b.b.q treatment. where as foreigners especially europeans like to cure their meats

That's interesting. I almost never eat bacon unless its integrated into a fancy European dish so I wouldn't have noticed the bacon here. Free range would be good, yes? Its funny but meat does taste different in different parts of the world. For some reason the pork in Thailand reminds me of the pork in Portugal of all places (it was good there too).

Pork is about my favourite meat so I eat about the same wherever I am.

btw if you like free range pork come to Viet Nam and have the heo rung (lit. forest pork [pig]), very tasty but you need strong jaw muscles and good teeth and not have an aversion to fat. :)

You forgot to include the 'Pig Chasers' - they eat as much free pork as they can - but it all depends on their moto-cye riding skills, if they can keep up with the Pork BBQ Delivery Truck they'll eat Pork every day.

I eat a lot more pork and chicken while in Thailand.

I don't like fish or anything else from the sea and the beef is horrible so the only options for me are pork and chicken but the the food is still great despite my limited menu and I miss it when I am not in Thailand even being from Denmark one of the biggest pork countries in the world with 5 times more pigs than humans :)

I believe pork to be very popular also amongst Thais, especially the political-classes, although I've yet to see any of the barrels in which it is allegedly delivered ? :D

Certain young ladies, in my earlier unmarried days, were also keen that I should continue to 'bring home the bacon'. :)

I tend to eat more pork when in Thailand but i eat more bacon buttys when in the uk?

so??? maybe i am wrong with my innitial hasty vote.....can i change my mind or is it to late :)

and i also forgot about the pork pies a devour! i feel bad now.

What about adding in something like 'it's against my religion to eat pork'?

Snookums -- :D Next time you do a Thailand Pork Party Poll :) , you bring religion into it, Kay? I intentionally didn't. In my view, sometimes its much better to KISS (Keep It Simple Smartypants!).

The option

No pork at home, no pork in Thailand

covers the pig meat avoiders of all kinds. :D

Also your little pig nit is really half baked. Like raw pork which is really dangerous to eat. :D

If I had added

'it's against my religion to eat pork' I would ALSO have to add BUT I EAT IT ANYWAY! because you seemed to have made the false assumption that everyone follows their religion.

In case you didn't know, but I know you do (as your mind is clearly like a steel trap), one CANNOT add options to a poll after the poll begins running.

Edited by Jingthing

I rarely ate pork at home, usually just bacon, and some sausage during Oktoberfest (Southern Ontario has a big German population).

Here, we aren't given much of a choice. Most Thais have an aversion to eating beef, and look at me strangely when I say that I'd rather eat a herbivore that is barely sentient, than an omnivore that is much more intelligent than a dog. Like most things here, I've just given up trying to change anyone's mind, and so I'll eat pork when it's put in front of me, but I never order it.

If you do the seafood poll JT, that has affected my diet even more! Aside from the Great Lakes, Ontario is land-locked so I was never that big on seafood. Fish usually consisted of the frozen fish sticks from the grocery store when I was growing up :) , and then sushi once I discovered Japanese cuisine. Shellfish were way too expensive, (but I love King Crab legs), so I would enjoy an occasional lobster, or oysters.

Now that I live here, I love getting fish done in the multitude of Thai ways that are available, and order it almost every time. Squid has become a big part of my diet too, both as pla muuk nueng manaow for dinner, and pla muuk yang when I'm out drinking. I eat more seafood now than I ever have before, and I'm much happier for it (unlike the pork).

Yeah I have no doubt people who drop beef here substitute with all kinds of other proteins. However, I thought pork was probably the most common and logical substitute for people who want some red meat. Also pork is so popular in Thai and Thai Chinese cooking, it is hard to avoid if you eat local.

I also love all kinds of fish, seafood, including squid. I do probably eat more here and that probably is common for people who like it here, as the cost is very reasonable.

This will likely be my only poll on this kind of topic. It was pork that interested me, and pork it is, and I am not surprised by the results (expats are tending to eat a lot more pork here), but it is interesting to see them.

Edited by Jingthing

while reading this thread I remembered that I had a packet of bacon in the fridge and so joined my 7 y.o. niece who was preparing toast with strawberry jam in the kitchen...

as usual she likes to watch her uncle diddling about with his ahaan falang and waited until the bacon was fried whereupon she she added a slice to her jam sandwich...

she seemed pleased... :)