Preferred Age To Teach

Thanks in advance for any input. Obviously everyone has their own personal preferences and experiences but I was wondering what you folks thought of teaching different age groups, particularly in Thailand. I am almost finished with my first year teaching Pratom 1 and 2. I love it and couldn't imagine a better gig. Unfortunately, I have to move next year and the best position available is teaching in a high schoool. To be honest, teaching disinterested Thai teens seems like a harrowing task. Some of my colleagues have different opinions as they find teaching older students more rewarding and engaging. Please let me know what you think. Also take into account teaching in a regular program vs. an English program for all of the different age groups.

Thank you again.

I work in a Thai government high school teaching regular and English Program classes. Three of my regular classes consist of 50 (M4) students. I was warned beforehand that they were difficult but I have found them to be no trouble whatsoever. Yes, there are some who don't want to be there but you can still engage them and make them feel part of the learning process. I'm not saying it's easy and of course, I prefer my small EP classes with air conditioning.

I suppose it depends on your class management techniques as to whether it is enjoyable for both you and the students. Larger classes can have better dynamics, smaller classes can be troublesome so the 'typical' advantages and disadvantages associated with class size may not apply in all cases.

btw - if you survive a year of this then any subsequent job will be a walk in the park :)

My favorite is 3rd grade. Old enough to formulate their own ideas and be creative. In a decent EP program most of them should have decent enough English to be able to do a lot of fun things.

The biggest problem I had was trying to get them to raise their hand when they wanted to answer.

They lose this when they get older, I had the same group of kids for 5th grade 2 years later and it was like pulling teeth to get them to participate, the fear of being wrong in front of their peers became the 600lb Gorilla in the room.

Currently studying state side so I can teach 6th-8th grade Biology and Earth and Space Science. It will be a far cry from a Thai government school haha.

Mattayom 5 & 6, and adult students don't need babysitting like mattayom 4 and below, and so the lessons tend be progress a lot smoother IMHO. Another reward is the challenge that occasionally occurs with bright students asking the teacher questions that need after-school research to find an answer for the next lesson.

The best classes I've taught are the ones when the teacher has more homework overnight than the students, and while there are advanced mattayom 2-3-4 classes where that sort of academic quality can happen, there are just as many around that age where it's a waste of time even walking into a classroom. They're not in need of a teacher as much as a babysitter. I don't enjoy babysitting or hangman games.

I like Prathom 4 - 6 or Matthayom 4-6. The younger kids are a lot of fun to work with. I really enjoy their enthusiasm and energy. The upper High School kids are generally a lot more sensible than the M1-3 kids. You can usually reason with them & talk to them almost as though they were adults.

I teach M2 this year. Last year I taught M1 and M3. Before that I had my first six months as a teacher in a language school/

I'm quite happy teaching that age group (M1-3), you can generally reason with them although teeenage hormones are always going to be a factor. The grammar points being taught are generally straight-forward which lowers the amount of preparation needed. (read: I don't need to swot up myself).

I don't have the energy to "entertain" the young kids. Though in time I want to try teaching the upper matayom grades.

• 1 month later...

Just started this teaching lark... teaching M1 to M5

At first dreaded the bottom streams of M1 and M2. Utter madness. Confiscating knives, BB Guns, Mobile phones every 20 seconds..

I think the kids knew i was a rookie, and were testing the waters.

Proud to say i stopped them setting light to paper with a magnifying glass - explaining that i would get the sack if the school burnt down.

Came to dread the wild bunch every day, until a retired Thai teacher came to my rescue and told me that he loved teaching the naughty kids, they are so much more sanook... *ping* a lightbulb went on in my head.... its ok to enjoy the madness! - and to like the attempts of the students to get one over on you! Since then I have abandoned the "shouty teacher" approach, in favour of psychological tactics.

Its amazing what appointing the class 'hard lad' as temporary teacher can do! Now he ambushes any kids way out of line! I might just bump his grade up.

I have a new found respect for teachers in the west, facing a class of hardened inner city youths every day - not a job for the faint hearted.

Edited by whiterussian

Quite a long time ago, I was a teacher in Africa with students who were not much younger than me at that time, i.e. 17 to 19 years old.

And I sure loved the interaction with them, as well as the interest they were showing at studying.

The relationship in between teacher and students is more of a relationship based on exchange of views when they are older than when they are younger.

But can't say it is better or worse, depends on the students, your personal preferences and the subject you teach, I think.

Edited by eurasianthai

I think it's harder for younger teachers in older grades. It's more difficult to control the class if they're a tad unruly. I would also say that you lose some of the fun you get from being a homeroom teacher (ie you keep your class for all lessons). Primary has the advantage of being homeroom, so you can really get to know the kids and problem-solve, and the kids are awesome to work with. Kinder-G2 is a bit much for me, they're too young for me to handle in some ways. However, G3-5 is nice, they're old enough to have a good conversation and young enough to still be interested in learning. Plus they're cuddle-monsters and that's kinda fun in its own way :) Primary's where the fun is for me, but everyone has their own preferences (our secondary teachers are terrified of primary!).

I just started some middle school observations here stateside. I am doing work with a special education math teacher for 6th-8th grade and will start sitting in on IEP's etc. Should be rather interesting and a big jump from teaching 3rd and 5th ESL in Thailand. Looking forward to my student teaching and being able to teach middle schoolers.

I am doing everything backwards haha

BlackArtemis your posts are most informative, but for the sake of many of the people who don't have a background in education, or the American system of education, could you explain what IEP's are?

An IEP is an Individual Lesson Plan this came about from the IDEA act of 2004 here stateside. you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individuals_w...s_Education_Act . Basically it ensures that every student is given the chance to succeed. An IEP is written up by a special education teacher and with the help of guidance counselors, normal subject teachers, parents, and admin is a way to cater to a student's disability. These disabilities can range from learning, physical, speech, emotional, etc. They are also used to monitor a student's progress.

For example, a student with ADHD might have an IEP that states they are able to have time and a half in a private room on tests, while a student with MS might have an aide who helps him around school, the right to leave class early to avoid the between class rush, and a laptop to take notes because they may lack fine motor skills to write legibly.

It's something I really see missing from Thai classrooms. We as educators will have students who would be classified under the IDEA Act. While we often think of mental retardation and other obvious disabilities, it is easy to look over the hyper kid who seems to forget his homework all the time, or the student who is slow to respond because it takes them longer to process information. The other downfall falls into the "there is no failing in Thailand". This also seems to carry over to parents completely ignoring any possible problem their child might have.

There are other things in America like the ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act which basically led to making sure everyplace has enough ramps, handicapped parking etc.

I hope that was enough, as I myself am studying these subjects, and my focus is not special education.

Thanks. I know a lot of these terms, but with a few new posters and a constant stream of people whose background isn't education and who are from different countries, it's helpful to explain the abbreviations used.

I started teaching 12-year-olds at age 60. Lots of fun in classroom. Later, seven year-olds were fine.

You know I avoid teaching like the plague because there are far better people available to do it! That being said I do have the occasional class I have to sit in on and I know that I am just not cut out for p1-6. I am fine with working with teens and adults though. Strangely it is only the pitch and volume of the voices of little kids that makes my eyes bleed! The kids themselves can be great learners! It just shows that we all have different tolerance levels.

:)

I hate kids. teaching them is a nightmare - the best I taught were 16+. University and corporate were good. Why on earth an experienced teacher would choose a large class of kids beats me. I look back at my teaching days with fond memories but none of them with kids.

Any teachers in Khon Kaen are looking to teach a couple of kids - mine ?

Edited by Neeranam

I hate kids. teaching them is a nightmare - the best I taught were 16+. University and corporate were good. Why on earth an experienced teacher would choose a large class of kids beats me. I look back at my teaching days with fond memories but none of them with kids.

Any teachers in Khon Kaen are looking to teach a couple of kids - mine ?

For the same reason I don't want to teach chemistry or math, preference. I love the energy that can be tapped in such a class.

I had no trouble with 35 3rd graders, in fact I loved that age group, my biggest problem was to have them raise their hand before answering.

But if you want to see hyper, try an emotional support classroom with 7th grade girls with ADHD. :)

errp, I meant to say Individual Education Plan, IEP not ILP haha

This sounds great!!! Could you post a blank IEP or a template?

Here you go, this is a blank IEP. There are plenty of websites going in depth on this topic.

Thanks for this!!