Sharing A Meter Taxi Is A No No

phuketrex

Unless you all get out at the same point! Never heard of this before and it's another rip off if it is happening. Crazy Thailand! Wish I could have done this when taxi driving in the UK getting 2 or 3 times what the fare should have been!!

PhuketGazette yesterday>>>

Can I share a metered taxi from the airport?

As a resident of Phuket, it is always a pleasure to return to the island after being away for a while.

One of the few redeeming features of Phuket’s taxi services is that one can actually take a metered taxi home from the airport at a fair price.

However, when I returned from Bankok this Sunday with a friend, we were abruptly told that we could not share a metered taxi because we wanted to be dropped off at different addresses, both in Bang Tao.

“Only one stop for a metered taxi,” the driver said.

You come to expect it from the touts, but to now have this from metered taxis is very disheartening.

Is this the accepted standard for airport taxis? Can tourists heading in the same general direction really not share a taxi?

Bryan Shale, Thalang Monday, January 11, 2010

“Metered taxi provides one-stop service only. If you would like to be dropped off at different destinations, you will pay separate fares. Customers can get into the same taxi, but they must pay for their own charges.

For example, if you hire a taxi and would like to be dropped off at Kamala Beach, but your friend wants to be dropped off at Patong beach, the prices will be different. You can expect to pay a 300 baht fare to Kamala Beach. Your friend should expect to pay 450 baht fare for Patong Beach after the meter is reset in Kamala. That means you and your friends have to pay 750 baht in total.

For more information contact the Airport Zone Taxi Meter Association

Monday, January 11, 2010 Miss Piyanan, Receptionist at the Airport Zone Taxi Meter Association counter

Forgive me for stating the obvious but isnt it simple enough for both people to get out at the same point and have the person further away get into a fresh taxi..would still be a saving would it not??

or in this particular case you could always call on one of those famous Phukhet tuk-tuks?? 55555

...............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,............................................. .....

...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,..........................................

......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,......................................

..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\... ..................................

................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\....................................

................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,................................

.................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,...............................

...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)..............................

.....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../...............................

.....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................

.................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.......................... ...

...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,........... .........

...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............

.................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,

.................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........

..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........

......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........

........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.......

Forgive me for stating the obvious but isnt it simple enough for both people to get out at the same point and have the person further away get into a fresh taxi..would still be a saving would it not??

or in this particular case you could always call on one of those famous Phukhet tuk-tuks?? 55555

No as there are no fresh taxis anywhere, except at the airport. Airport taxis are <deleted> anyway as the vehicles are old and the times I've been in one the ride was terrible and the air didn't work. That CNG or LPG tank jutting through the rear seat didn't feel too good either.

No as there are no fresh taxis anywhere, except at the airport. Airport taxis are <deleted> anyway as the vehicles are old and the times I've been in one the ride was terrible and the air didn't work. That CNG or LPG tank jutting through the rear seat didn't feel too good either.

So the (ridiculous) solution? Get out of the cab at the first stop, then immediately rehire it and get back in. TIT

Why not all go the closest drop off point, get out and pay what is on the meter? Then before the taxi leaves, second party can get back in and take the taxi to the second place on the reset meter. If done right, the driver may even feel lucky to have gotten two fares out of one ride.

Why not all go the closest drop off point, get out and pay what is on the meter? Then before the taxi leaves, second party can get back in and take the taxi to the second place on the reset meter. If done right, the driver may even feel lucky to have gotten two fares out of one ride.

There's an echo in this room! :) (See post 10)

(Bags, that makes three laughs and a hok!)

And usually no seatbelts, but still probably the lessor evil when faced with the murderous driving of the limousine mafia.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I left Bang Tao last Friday. I went around the corner to a taxi rank and told the taxi driver to come and pick me up in 30 minutes and told him where my house was. He came around on the dot and picked up me and loaded my luggage and the ball and chains bag into the taxi. Ball and chain was going home to Nakhon Sri and taking the motorbike on the bus, so I had to drop off her gear at the Heriones Monument.

On the way I wanted a paper so I told the driver to pull over in Cherng Talay. We then went to Heroines monument where we stopped and waited for the missus to come on the bike. After we dropped off her gear we had a long and animated discussion about Thaksin and the red shirts with a fair degree of swearing and dashboard slapping by both of us. When got to the airport and he carried my stuff to the door and I then gave him 500 baht. I pulled out 40 baht in 20's I had and slipped it into his top pocket and told him to by some sweets on the way home for his kids. He gave me a huge smile.

We shook hands and he gave me his card urging me to call him anytime to be picked up or whatever. It's not hard to find a good reliable driver. Just got to lock in the price first. I never ask a price. I tell them what I will pay, full stop.

Do I understand something not correctly about this thread?

The OP says Your friend should expect to pay 450 baht fare for Patong Beach after the meter is reset in Kamala.

So what is wrong with the fact that the meter is reset at kamala.

I left Bang Tao last Friday. I went around the corner to a taxi rank and told the taxi driver to come and pick me up in 30 minutes and told him where my house was. He came around on the dot and picked up me and loaded my luggage and the ball and chains bag into the taxi. Ball and chain was going home to Nakhon Sri and taking the motorbike on the bus, so I had to drop off her gear at the Heriones Monument.

On the way I wanted a paper so I told the driver to pull over in Cherng Talay. We then went to Heroines monument where we stopped and waited for the missus to come on the bike. After we dropped off her gear we had a long and animated discussion about Thaksin and the red shirts with a fair degree of swearing and dashboard slapping by both of us. When got to the airport and he carried my stuff to the door and I then gave him 500 baht. I pulled out 40 baht in 20's I had and slipped it into his top pocket and told him to by some sweets on the way home for his kids. He gave me a huge smile.

We shook hands and he gave me his card urging me to call him anytime to be picked up or whatever. It's not hard to find a good reliable driver. Just got to lock in the price first. I never ask a price. I tell them what I will pay, full stop.

I've definatley had some good experiences with taxis like this too. There are some decent guys out there. For example my mate just told me that one of favorite Thai's guys he used to work is now a tuk Tuk driver.