Changing Rear Sprocket 4 Teeth Lesser

Cobrabiker

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forum is an exchange for information, a place where we learn from each other, and everyone's personal experience is invaluable. As the saying goes, "Different strokes for different folks", so there is no right or wrong, let 's share our passion together and to benefit from each other's experience.

A picture speaks a thousand word, maybe this help lower down the temperature.

Check this out!! Fattest Pussy

Cheers!! :)

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, here is the report. Due to price and availability, I have chosen a 39 teeth rear, which is 5 teeth down from the original. Now the 6th is like overdrive, There is no need to down shift when I am at 120 km/hr and above, good for travelling at 140 and up, now the 5th is like the 6th before change, so whenever I require intant acceleration at 120, I will downshift to 5th.

As I like travelling at 120 and up, so now it is perfect, good for fuel economy and also lesser engine wear as the rpm is lower now, now it is a perfect street cruiser. Thanks all the posters in this post for the inputs. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I changed the front and back sprockets and chain on my little Honda Tena two stroke (four speed clutchless). I had a 38 tooth on the back before according to the mechanic (I couldn't see any way to tell what number it was), and asked him to go just a bit smaller. So I don't know how many teeth on the new one, but I held the old one up to it and it was definitely smaller. Also I couldn't see the front sprocket to tell if it were much bigger than the old one.

Today, driving around, I noticed the bike was a bit more relaxed and less annoyingly buzzy to drive at normal cruising speeds of around 30-80, but the power was still plenty from a start. Really the change seemed very slight.

For sure, for the bargain price of 430 baht, I'd recommend this modification.

Edited by ClareQuilty

Just wanted to update - now that I've had a few days to live with the change, I'm loving it. The bike is much more relaxing to drive - feels less stressed and 'urgent', and can cruise a little more quietly. Still don't know if it has changed my speedometer..

• 1 month later...

Oh and I did have a question - will the gearing change I described above mean that the speedometer on my bike is no longer accurate?

Yes, as for my case, the speedometer shows about 8 to 10km lower at 100km, using gps.

Oh and I did have a question - will the gearing change I described above mean that the speedometer on my bike is no longer accurate?

Yes, as for my case, the speedometer shows about 8 to 10km lower at 100km, using gps.

Oh, thanks! I used to drive about 60-70 on the bike because anything above that was just too annoyingly buzzy. Now with the higher gears I feel relaxed going 80-90 or even 100, but perhaps by what you say my speed is in fact a little faster than that shown speed. Big improvement for sure!