What They Mean With 'spec' When Talking About A Girl ?

ManilaLover

I believe it is indeed contemporary thai slang (i.e.: spoken by people usually under 30 y/o). Actually nothing more than the shortening of the english word "specification" into a thai word; although it's pronounced more like 'sa-bek' than the word spec would be pronounced in engrish. In the context you refer to it denotes someone who is your style, or matches a set of criteria you have when gauging attractiveness and/or compatibility in the opposite sex (or same sex, if that's your penchant :D ).

While I have heard it used mostly by 'time-share' or 'rent-2-own' gurls and their clientele in the nefarious nite life districts; in talking to my thai language teachers (uni-girls in their mid to late 20's) they said it is now a quite commonly used term.

It may be spelled like this สเปก, as it turned up quite a few hits using Google Thailand. The first hit I got was this sentence; คำถามทายใจ ถอดรหัสสเปกคนพิเศษ, which I think says something along the lines of ; "A question to predict the heart and decipher the spec of a special person".

FWIW; it was on this website; http://happy.teenee.com/quiz/flashquiz/54

That would certainly lend credence to my thai teachers’ assertions that it is wide spread in usage with younger thais when used in the context the O/P posted about; although most of the Google hits were about specifications of P/C's, gaming platforms, and other electronic devices. Quite surprising, NONE of the hits mentioned dog food. .. :)

In the usual context it's used i've just taken เสเปกอยู่อะไร (spec yoo arai) as a teenage/colloquial way of saying คุณชอบผู้หญิงแบบไหน - koon chawp poo ying baeb nai. 'Those' kind of girls do use it a lot, you can motion to a 60 year old fat falang and just say 'sabek' to get a laugh.