Recommendations For 3 Days In Hong Kong

Artamus

At the end of February I shall be travelling with my partner to Hong Kong for three days. Of course the web is loaded with tourist information on Hong Kong, but I'd be interested in specific recommendations from others of interesting places and sites they have visited whilst in Hong Kong (other than shopping).

I'd also appreciate any recommendations for a hotel in a good location (price not a big issue but nothing totally extravegannt!). A good hotel in a good location for easy access to the recommended sites.

Last time I was in Hong Kong was 22 years ago, so it's probably changed a bit.......

Many thanks

Oh, missing HK now!

- Yes, the Peak is a really nice trip and you can take a walk around the top.

- and the races! Great atmosphere.

- a ferry to one of the islands for a really different pace of life and some fab seafood (select from the tanks). I think Lamma is a very popular one and there's a walk you can do from one to the other (ferry ports at each end). But my personal fave is Cheung Chau - much smaller but peaceful meandering backstreets.

- Star Ferry across the harbour

- dim sum. My favourite is City Hall. Gets very busy and it's trolley service, but I thought the dim sum there was gorgeous.

I usually stayed at the Excelsior in Causeway Bay. It's very good for shopping! But it's also right by the MTR so easy to get around. Most hotels I think are pretty well located near MTRs and the transport system is v. efficient.

Was there last year with my wife, same as you had never been there for 16years but still found my way around ok. We stayed at The Largos Hotel one minutes walk from Jordan MTR all newly refurbished hotel even the carpets in the corridors were immaculate 2,000 baht per night approx.

Just across Nathan Roads Temple St great food from the cafe on the corner about 200 baht per dish and beer big bottle 90 baht, The Peaks an amazing place now with Madame Tussauds there but be prepared for a long wait for the tram not like before when you could just jump straight on for a couple of dollars.

The light show at the harbour starts 8.30 pm not to be missed, Wong Tai Sin Temple really nice place to visit right outside the MTR station and totally free.

Take the shuttle train into the city from the airport takes you into Kowloon Station and easy to get a taxi from there, it's nice not to have to fight to get the meter switched HK taxis won't take a set fee but they might charge you a couple of dollars for baggage.

I'm sure after 18 years away you'll still find all the familiar places Star Ferries still the best buy in the world although the terminal frontage on Hong Kong sides changed a lot, not as easy to find the bus station now.

Was there last year with my wife, same as you had never been there for 16years but still found my way around ok. We stayed at The Largos Hotel one minutes walk from Jordan MTR all newly refurbished hotel even the carpets in the corridors were immaculate 2,000 baht per night approx.

Just across Nathan Roads Temple St great food from the cafe on the corner about 200 baht per dish and beer big bottle 90 baht, The Peaks an amazing place now with Madame Tussauds there but be prepared for a long wait for the tram not like before when you could just jump straight on for a couple of dollars.

The light show at the harbour starts 8.30 pm not to be missed, Wong Tai Sin Temple really nice place to visit right outside the MTR station and totally free.

Take the shuttle train into the city from the airport takes you into Kowloon Station and easy to get a taxi from there, it's nice not to have to fight to get the meter switched HK taxis won't take a set fee but they might charge you a couple of dollars for baggage.

I'm sure after 18 years away you'll still find all the familiar places Star Ferries still the best buy in the world although the terminal frontage on Hong Kong sides changed a lot, not as easy to find the bus station now.

Don't bother with the 'tram'; a waste of time, take the double decker bus and you'll see a lot more from the top deck. The light show is a must from Kowloon.

So many to choose from!

Recommended selection depending on your tastes/interests and time frame -

The Peak

Star Ferry ride and Victoria Harbour at night

Races at Happy Valley(1) or Shatin(2) although if you're only there 3 days may miss

Lantau Island to visit Nong Ping Monastery and the Big Buddha and Cheung Chau Island for seafood and traditional fishing harbour- Island also has no roads or cars. (Possible to do both in same day using inter-island ferry service although need to time it right)

Ocean Park (far more interesting than Disneyland and great scenery especially the cable car to the headland)

Stanley Market (market not what it used to be but great bus journey on double decker over the hills and along the coast via Repulse Bay - don't take the bus that goes through the Aberdeen tunnel unless in a hurry as you miss out on most of the scenery)

Hong Kong Park and /or the Botanical Gardens (if you want a quick break from the hustle & bustle in the streets below)

Tram ride from Western to Shau Kei Wan (or just part of the route) best transport bargain in HK (along with the Star Fery) - sit upstairs and get to see local colour. Stop off at Wanchai or North Point markets for same.

Take escalator from Central Market up to Mid-Levels

Wong Tai Sin Temple or Temple of 1,000 Buddha's in Shatin

Temple Street Night Market also has Fortune Tellers, Chinese Opera, cheap and cheerful street food stalls with outdoor tables

3 days isn't a lot of time otherwise would also recommend venturing out to the New Territories. There are several country parks with great hiking and cycling trails with spectacular scenery.

I'm sure you'll have a great time there are so many diverse things to see and do. (It's still my all time favourite of all the places I've lived or visited) :thumbsup

For a short stay would recommend choosing a hotel within walking distance of an MTR station e.g in Causeway Bay or Wanchai for ease of getting around or even Central if your budget will stretch that far.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile,on Nathan road, great location, very good Chinese restaurant there as well.

Underground at the back of the hotel, got off the train, took the courtesy minibus to hotel, run every 15-20 minutes from the train station.

Buy the all-in 3 day rail ticket when you arrive at the airport, and use that to get around. If you want to go to Disney land then it can be used to get you there, Disneyland is back out near the airport so you do get your moneys worth. The cost is 300 dollars, but you get 100 dollar refund when you hand the ticket back in.

If you don't want to go on the water for the light show, then I would suggest going to the bar at the top of the Shereton and getting a window seat there. If you get the urge for steak then pop into Mortons in the hotel, expensive but great steak.

If you want a good night out bar hopping get over to Wanchai there are some very good bars with live bands in some of them.

Hope you have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any recent information about the day trip to Lo Wu (Shenzhen) in terms of a visa (for Lo Wu, not a China visa). I read a lot of conflicting stuff on the web. Best information seems to be that you can get it at Lo Wu for 190 RMB (must be paid in China currency). I have UK passport, other half has Thai passport. We could of course get a China visa at the embassy in Chiang Mai, but from what I read other's have had problems with a "China visa" as Shenzhen requires a specal Shenzhen visa (sounds like corrupt officials).

Does anyone have any recent information about the day trip to Lo Wu (Shenzhen) in terms of a visa (for Lo Wu, not a China visa). I read a lot of conflicting stuff on the web. Best information seems to be that you can get it at Lo Wu for 190 RMB (must be paid in China currency). I have UK passport, other half has Thai passport. We could of course get a China visa at the embassy in Chiang Mai, but from what I read other's have had problems with a "China visa" as Shenzhen requires a specal Shenzhen visa (sounds like corrupt officials).

Shenzhen visa- can get it at Lo Wu, valid for 5 days, can't leave Shenzhen economic zone. cost HK$150

I got absolutely leathered at some street at mid levels with a dozen bars and (seemed like) thousands of expats. No idea where it was.

so drunk you posted it twice :)

possibly wanchai mate, did you see a carnegies?

Did I see a whattie??

Shenzhen visa- can get it at Lo Wu, valid for 5 days, can't leave Shenzhen economic zone. cost HK$150

Is this visa good for Americans at that price? Regular China Visa fees for Americans are exceptionally high.

Is this visa good for Americans at that price? Regular China Visa fees for Americans are exceptionally high.

Somebody said the price are not for American. Not sure how much.

But Thai and Birtish passport are OK for HK$150.

There is a really good hotel I like on Robinson road near the mid level escalators. It is the Bishop Lei International House. Check out the reviews on Trip Adviser, good value for the money.

I think I have paid about $100 USD a night both times I have stayed. The rooms are tiny, but the trick is reserve a "Harbor View Suite" Floors 19-24 or something...a corner room if you can. The prize with this place are the views from your room....just unreal!!!

This place is a very short walk to Mosque street and the escalators, So-Ho etc, great neighborhood!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the recommentations. We have now just returned from Hong Kong, so maybe some are interested in brief feedback. We ended up with 3 full days and 2 half days in HK which were about right to see the main areas and shop.

We flew Thai Airways as connection times better and you can fly earlier and return later in the day giving you longer in HK. Air Asia and China Airlines also fly.

We originally planned to stay at the Largos Hotel due to its close location to the MTR station. However, when we got around to booking it was already full, so ended up at the Bishop Lei as recommended above. In retrospect it was good to stay on the HK island side. Hotel very fine and close to the mid-level escalators. We were upgraded to a suite on the second day when a water pipe in the ceiling of our standard room sprang a leak.

Some notes/comments on what we did and where we went:

Got a 3 day octopus card covering train to/from airport and MTR for 3 days. Refund is 50 HK$, not 100 as mentioned above.

Mid Levels escalators. Went up these a number of times as they provide access to the hotel back from Central. Good seelction of bars and restaurants. Public bus from hotel to Central each day from right outside the hotel. 5 HK$.

"Farang" type restaurants get quite expensive if you continually eat in them. We ate mainly in the local stalls and sidewalk cafes. Many of these do not have English menus in the windows, but once inside they often have an English printed menu or usually one of the staff speaks English, so you can ask for what you like.

Probably spent half our time shopping and browsing at "stuff" in various markets and malls. The major malls are usually full of designer (expensive) stuff, so head for markets and local stores.

Big Buddah on Lantau. Was stupidly busy and conjested (probably as we went on a Sunday). It was a one hour wait for the cable car in each direction. We also noted there's a nice footpath through the hills following the cable car route, so for those with time and energy this might be an interesting walk (about 5-7 km I guess) - take the cable car up and walk back.

Tao temple at Shatin. Very busy and not really that interesting. Give it a miss if you are pushed for time.

The Peak. Weather was overcast almost all the time we were there, especailly in the evening. One afternoon at the peak produced some good views. There's a 3 km loop paved walkway around The Peak which offers great views over the city and well worth doing - an easy walk on the level.

Stubbs Road Loookout. Lower down the mountain, so if overcast still provides good views of the city at night. Busy at sunset!

Star Ferry ride. Great value at 2.4 HK$.

Madamme Tausard's at the Peak. More extensive than I'd expected and not too busy.

Why not stay in The royal garden hotel on mody road kowloon. Right on the harbour. On the other side of mody road there is a bar restaraunt that is owned by a kiwi woman. Its called sticky fingers. Great food, great bar and they hav 2 live bands everynight and they are great. Its a fairly big place. They also hav a bar restaraunt on hong kong island called spicy fingers and one in Manila. Great venue. I have stayed many times at Royal Garden. Take a ferry and go visit macau

have a good trip

brgds Mark