Air Conditioning

450 baht seems to be a typical price here in Chiang Mai.

My A/C's all have free servicing for two years. If yours are still new-looking, you might get lucky.

As for who pays, of course you would like the landlord to pay, right? Why not talk to him about it? For me, if there was any balking on the landlord's part, I might suggest we split the cost, as it's minimal. The service is helping to protect the landlord's investment, so it seems reasonable for him to accept responsibility for the cost of upkeep, too.

I personally, if my landlord made me pay the 300 baht per year would move out, i mean thats a whole six bucks or more, well i wouldnt put up with that, i would be sleeping in the garden with my tent with a big sign outside saying how stingy my landlord is, naaa only kidding, i would pay the 6 bucks and not waste my landlords time :o

I personally, if my landlord made me pay the 300 baht per year would move out, i mean thats a whole six bucks or more, well i wouldnt put up with that, i would be sleeping in the garden with my tent with a big sign outside saying how stingy my landlord is, naaa only kidding, i would pay the 6 bucks and not waste my landlords time :o

Come on .Thai Norman, what do you like in the way of showers :D

Come on .Thai Norman, what do you like in the way of showers :D

well are we talking golden showers or my bathroom habits?? it has to be hot either way :D

My only air/con, in the master bedroom, went on the blink several months ago, causing the service entrance to flip the breaker switches often. The bill came to 12,100 baht. We called the landlord who said he'd reimburse us, and he promptly did. Later there was a minor correction on a corroded brass fitting for which I paid 500 baht and didn't forward the bill. It's been the only maintenace bill in almost two years. We're on good terms with the landlord.

IMO, routine annual servicing is nothing compared to the compressor going out. If the landlord sees you as reasonable, he might be more generous on the big-ticket items. If the landlord's reasonable, of course.

My only air/con, in the master bedroom, went on the blink several months ago, causing the service entrance to flip the breaker switches often.  The bill came to 12,100 baht.  We called the landlord who said he'd reimburse us, and he promptly did.  Later there was a minor correction on a corroded brass fitting for which I paid 500 baht and didn't forward the bill.  It's been the only maintenace bill in almost two years.  We're on good terms with the landlord.

IMO, routine annual servicing is nothing compared to the compressor going out.  If the landlord sees you as reasonable, he might be more generous on the big-ticket items.  If the landlord's reasonable, of course.

I noted that carrier brand a/c units are pretty popular in thailand. i've got one over here in the states. the compressor has a 10 year replacement warranty. ive also noted that the reason some of you guys have to continually add freon is because of those cheap valves where freon is added. they leak the freon out very slowly. i screwed a cap over the top of mine and checked with soap and water and no more leaks and no more recharges going on 2 years now. no worries if its a rental but if you own ide check the valves with soap n water. some compressors dont like running low on freon