Nong Hoi Area

jimmym40

If you happen to be down that way on CM-Lampun Rd, just about across the road from the Electric Company offices [which are on the west side] there is a very nice piece of land. I don't know the exact price but I am told that there are plots for many and not many people living there at present. If you get there , ask for JB. He can help you if anyone can.

There may even be some with a golf course view.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I have lived in nong hoi for over 5 years, and have only seen it flood once. it was flooding everywhere then.

Five years ago Chiangmai experienced some of the worst flooding in forty years. Many, many, many parts of the province were flooded. However, lucky for us, the area where we live (along Highway 118) remained flood free.

Is it a good area to live around? Anyone know of any plots of land for sale to build around a 120 - 150 sq meter house?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun JimmyM40,

"Nong Hoi" could refer to a large area, depending on how you define it; we define it as kind of bordered on the north by the giant Kawila Military Compound, on the east by the railroad tracks, on the south by the first ring road or "superhighway," and on the west by the Old Chiang Mai Lamphun Road, and the Ping River.

Within that area are really different zones with different patterns of traffic, congestion, crowded-ness, etc.

There are higher-so, and lower-so, neighborhoods, and ones like the one we live in which mix the two.

We're lucky enough to have found a house in a relatively quiet and traffic-free zone in this area, and have been here for around five years.

Interestingly, we don't find Nong Hoi market (Talat Nong Hoi on the Old Chiang Mai Lamphun Road, south past the turn off to the Holiday Inn hotel and the bridge over the Ping) a good place to shop compared to Talat San Pa Khoi which is off Thanon CharoenMuang (and north of the Kawlia military compound).

We really enjoying shopping at the Rimping Nawarat.

In the last five years there has only once been a major flood : during that flood the small outside our house had near 30 inches of water in it at one point; many of our neighbors had their houses' first floors ruined, but our house is on a elevated plot, and the water only made it into the kitchen of the house to a depth of about one inch, sparing our precious teakwood flooring.

So, yes, the neighborhood is good for us; your mileage may vary.

best, ~o:37;

p.s. "Gonzo the Face" is describing the Farang cemetery in his post : we often talk with the farang phii preta (farang hungry ghosts) as we bicycle by there : most of them are as unhappy in death as they were in life; many of them are "wailing screamers," begging to be forgiven for the atrocities they committed in the name of what they thought was "religion" or "business." Of course the really good ones, are silent, enjoying their ecstasy, and never being hungry : so that's not exactly a representative sample.

Edited by orang37

p.s. "Gonzo the Face" is describing the Farang cemetery in his post : we often talk with the farang phii preta (farang hungry ghosts) as we bicycle by there : most of them are as unhappy in death as they were in life; many of them are "wailing screamers," begging to be forgiven for the atrocities they committed in the name of what they thought was "religion" or "business." Of course the really good ones, are silent, enjoying their ecstasy, and never being hungry : so that's not exactly a representative sample.

I feel compelled to pass on my admiration to you for both your prose here, and the message you are imparting. As in life, so in death!

Meanwhile, could i confirm the market you prefer is the one near the other entrance to the kawila barracks, near the boxing i think? And if so, since i've never been there, could i enquire the reason for this preference?

I feel compelled to pass on my admiration to you for both your prose here, and the message you are imparting. As in life, so in death!

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun FemiFan,

Well, thank you; if only we could blush.

Meanwhile, could i confirm the market you prefer is the one near the other entrance to the kawila barracks, near the boxing i think? And if so, since i've never been there, could i enquire the reason for this preference?

Yes, you are correct : San Pa Khoi is on the northern side of the Kawila Military Compound, on a street which is the next street (running east-west) just south from the main road, Thanon Charoen Muang. And, yes, there is a Muay Thai arena kind of tucked away in a corner, there, just opposite San Pa Khoi. We believe the actual name of the street the market is on is Thanon Kong Sai. The Rimping Nawarat is not far away at all from San Pa Khoi.

We wrote at length about Talat San Pa Khoi, raving about Mae Leilai's cooking, here on TV CM : Mama Leilai's Thai food to die for at Talat San Pa Khoi

For us, Nong Hoi market just doesn't "feel" right : that's hard to quantify : we don't believe the Thai fresh cooked food there on offer has anywhere near the variety, quality, and freshness of San Pa Khoi. We find the place dark, kind of tomb-like whereas we experience San Pa Khoi as "vivid," buzzing with energy.

One specific thing we don't like about Nong Hoi is the soy milk vendor located near the central entrance on the old Chiang Mai Lamphun road : ioho : their soy milk sucks and is prone to turn quickly into some mutant cross between cement and mucus :)

But you should take any food reviews done by a human with out-to-lunch-forever taste buds with grain of salt, or extra nam plaa, as you prefer, although we will slightly disclaimer that by noting that our preference for San Pa Khoi over Nong Hoi goes way back into ancient eons before there was "us;" when my human male, alas poor wretch, was still only an "I," but did have taste buds, and a ravenous appetite for Thai food.

Edited by orang37

I have lived very near the Nong Hoi Market for over 5 years. Before that I lived in the Riverside condo for a year. It has flooded once during that time. I am about 1 meter above street level, and we were ok.

fetch-UID-.jpg

My neighbour didn't fare so well.

post-9674-1263557559_thumb.jpgWell, the area south-east of the city is prone to flooding, but if a meter of water in your living is no problem o.k

There is a map that shows the areas with risk of flooding, will try to include it.

Joop

I live in zone 4 on the map, in the soi directly opposite the entrance to The Gymkhana. In almost twenty years I've never had water in the house, but during the last big flood I had about 2 inches in  the garden. The river over-flows first, right near the intersection of Chm-Lamphun and Ratuitit , pours down the Ratutit Rd and into The Gymkhana. I've seen the Gymkhana knee deep whilst 2 metres up Soi 2 is bone dry. There are some empty plots around soi 1, 2, 3 but I believe it is about 20,000 B/ Sq. Wah, or more.

We wrote at length about Talat San Pa Khoi, raving about Mae Leilai's cooking, here on TV CM : Mama Leilai's Thai food to die for at Talat San Pa Khoi

More chiang mai discoveries are about to enter my realm! I read what you posted there, and i now look forward to making my acquaintance with both the market and khun leilai. Magnificent news! Food was fuel for me before i came to thailand, whereupon it instantly, from my first ever meal here, became elevated to one of life's major delights. Whoever cooks the second best food in the world, they are still several degrees below thai food. It's unbeatable, and to find new sources is a joy that's difficult to beat. Thank you for putting me in this direction!

It must be said however that i no longer need to go out for my food so much since one of my very favorite restaurants these days is here at home! It's both a pity and a win situation. How weird life can be...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun FemiFan,

Well, thank you; if only we could blush.

Yes, you are correct : San Pa Khoi is on the northern side of the Kawila Military Compound, on a street which is the next street (running east-west) just south from the main road, Thanon Charoen Muang. And, yes, there is a Muay Thai arena kind of tucked away in a corner, there, just opposite San Pa Khoi. We believe the actual name of the street the market is on is Thanon Kong Sai. The Rimping Nawarat is not far away at all from San Pa Khoi.

For us, Nong Hoi market just doesn't "feel" right : that's hard to quantify : we don't believe the Thai fresh cooked food there on offer has anywhere near the variety, quality, and freshness of San Pa Khoi. We find the place dark, kind of tomb-like whereas we experience San Pa Khoi as "vivid," buzzing with energy.

One specific thing we don't like about Nong Hoi is the soy milk vendor located near the central entrance on the old Chiang Mai Lamphun road : ioho : their soy milk sucks and is prone to turn quickly into some mutant cross between cement and mucus :)

But you should take any food reviews done by a human with out-to-lunch-forever taste buds with grain of salt, or extra nam plaa, as you prefer, although we will slightly disclaimer that by noting that our preference for San Pa Khoi over Nong Hoi goes way back into ancient eons before there was "us;" when my human male, alas poor wretch, was still only an "I," but did have taste buds, and a ravenous appetite for Thai food.

Yet again I find myself in total agreement with Orang37 whose previous post about San Pa Khoi market I most heartily endorsed.

Although Nong Hoi market in rather nearer to us than SPK for exactly the same reasons expressed by my learned friend, we never shop there.

Most of the greater Nong Hoi area is a good place to live and very convenient, if a little busy sometimes. There are several quiet, neat and tidy little sois where the residents clearly take pride in their homes and soi and do not sweep there rubbish into the street. Good if you want to live in a local Thai community and are happy to cultivate a friendly acquaintance with those around you.