Bike Advice

MattCinderey

Just after some advice and people's opinions really...

I had a Honda CBR150R for 2 years, great little bike for nipping around Samui. Through my work I had to buy a truck for moving equipment around and after a few friends had bike accidents I sold my CBR.

Driving a truck is the safest way to go, however for nipping to the shops and general short journeys it's a pain and pretty expensive on fuel. Especially when traffic on Samui travels around 30km/hr! I really need another bike....

So I'm looking for a new bike, but not sure what to go for. One of my friends advice is if it's just for nipping to the shop, etc then get a scooter like a Honda Airblade.

However, I really loved my CBR. It had gears, good brake's (back brake not too great though) and handled very well on the road.

I don't think I'd feel safe going back to a scooter, I took one for a ride the other day and it felt like a child's toy - however my friend said I'd get used to it in a few weeks.

The other option is I really like the new Ninja 250R. Just wondering what people thought about this bike? The 650 naked looks awesome as well and I think I'd be less inclined to open up the 650 as much as I would with the 250.

I've driven a few Honda Super-Four's as well and love the sound of the 4-cylinder engine - how does the 250 or 650 sound as they're only 2-cylinder?

I'd also quite like to do a few tours up to Bangkok and Chiang Mai on a bike, so was thinking the 650 would be a good bike for this.

Any advice is appreciated...

Matt.

thre is a big gap between the following:

automatic - cbr 150 - ninja 250 - er6

you seems to know the charateristic on each of the above... soj ust get what you think is right for your situation there.

if you complaining about traffic doing 30km/hr and fuel mileage then your best bet is honda airblade.

thre is a big gap between the following:

automatic - cbr 150 - ninja 250 - er6

you seems to know the charateristic on each of the above... soj ust get what you think is right for your situation there.

if you complaining about traffic doing 30km/hr and fuel mileage then your best bet is honda airblade.

btw, the 250 and er6 doesnt sound that good. totally different sound with your super four. my friend just change his er6 muffler into two brothers.. i tink the OEm is much better...

Smile...u need 2 bikes!! One for shopping. Scooter...but then the CBR150 is streets ahead of a scooter and much safer with the better handling, brakes, and power.) (and little extra money) and one for trips, the Kawa 650.

In tight traffic the cbr150 will beat a 250 ninja because of better manouverability. Costs considerably less to run, costs less than half (almost 1/3) the money to buy, and maintains its value. A 250 Ninja drops 50K when u drive it out of the showroom. (check the second hand prices)

On the open road the Kawa 650 cant be beaten for value and performance, for money. A 4cyl 600 costs more than twice as much, but sure much smoother bike to ride and better performance, if u keep in the power band.

I see in the 650 forum tho that the fairing verision of the 650 is much nicer to ride on a trip at higher speeds with less wind buffeting.

Why not get both a cbr 150 and a big bike for long trips, they would both be cheaper combined then one 250 ninja, or just rent a big bike for the longer trips.

The new PCX looks like a very capable long distance runner, bigger than both the airblade and nouvo, and from the looks of the handle bar position, looks like a comfortable drive.

I've got both a CBR 150R and a Ninjette...and around town the CBR can't be beat. On the open road the Ninja is much better due to less vibration and greater passing capability. They both reach nearly the same speed with my fat butt on them; the Ninja is some 10 or so faster-indicated for both since I haven't GPS'd the CBR. The fuel economy on the CBR is much greater than the Ninja; some 15 or so km/L.

The Ninja is a good bike, the sound is a bit better than the CBR's but still pretty muffled...easily remedied with an aftermarket pipe.

Peace. the Tiger is called the Tiger 250 RS. YES the engine size is 232cc but then the Cbr150 is 149cc, closer i grant you but still 149cc NOT 150cc.

We all know that you have a pathological hatred of the Tiger 250 RS and in fact ALL Tiger bikes. But at least use the correct name.

Also the Tiger is about 2 hp more than the Cbr150. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference to top end as the the Tiger only has a 5 speed gearbox.

BUT the Tiger does have more midrange power than the Cbr150, making it a much more relaxed tourer and a very capable town bike. I have ridden both bikes. I know you have not.

How many trips to BKK and Chiang Mai? How far are the shops?

Buy an old beater scooter, you can change the plastic for about 2500 Baht or so I've heard.

650 sounds nice buy where do you put the loaf of bread and a bottle of milk? On a scooter you can hang the shopping bag from a hook.

Like the man said to accomplish both you'll need two bikes.

Peace. the Tiger is called the Tiger 250 RS. YES the engine size is 232cc but then the Cbr150 is 149cc, closer i grant you but still 149cc NOT 150cc.

We all know that you have a pathological hatred of the Tiger 250 RS and in fact ALL Tiger bikes. But at least use the correct name.

Also the Tiger is about 2 hp more than the Cbr150. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference to top end as the the Tiger only has a 5 speed gearbox.

BUT the Tiger does have more midrange power than the Cbr150, making it a much more relaxed tourer and a very capable town bike. I have ridden both bikes. I know you have not.

Thanks for the back-up.....I must confess to a little mischief making with my post as I was sure that PB would react!

The bike should be light - how about a 250 cc single like a Honda XR 250, there is one for sale @ 50,000 on GT Rider. Or a new Tiger Boxer 250 RS. Or a D-Tracker? The Ninja might not be so great in town, riding position and all.

Edited by Kf6vci

A 2-stroke TDR 250 Yamaha would be cool - never saw one though in LOS. It had the TZR 250, 49 hp motor... No big bike - the many cold starts and short distances are bad for an engine. Another choice would be what is named the Honda 250 "Rebel". A 4-stroke single. Or a Yamaha RXZ, i heard great things about this bike. Few moving parts in the engine... No way would I ruin an expensive bike's engine with let's-go-t-the-market-trips.

The CBR 150 is not too small for you? what's your size?

Chris

Edited by Kf6vci

Get used to the thought of getting 2 bikes. The ER-6n is great on the mountain... not sure the ninja 650 might be better at very high speeds but I have no trouble getting the er6n to 160 with the clear puig windscreen ( see other thread, it's the only one that looks good).

For shopping trips the er6n is outclassed by pretty much any scooter... I have a Honda wave i, it has a basket and gets 50km/l, the er6 has no basket and 17km/l... these days I'd get a used fino, it's just so pretty...

Or get a scooter and rent a 650 when doing trips..

Thanks for all the information, it has been very helpful indeed.

I've decided the 650 is out and the scooter is out. If i want to do a long bike tour, then I'll hire a big bike as suggested...

So now it's down to the Honda CBR150 vs the Kawasaki Ninja 250R....

Dave_Boo, Do you prefer your CBR150 to your 250R? I really enjoyed my CBR150, but I think the Ninja looks awesome, especially the black one (picture attached)

Does anyone know if the CBR150R 2010 model is out now? I was at Honda yesterday and they just scratched their heads when I asked!

A quick one regarding ride height - are they about the same height (CBR150 & 250R) - I'm a short-ass (around 5'7") and worried the 250R is higher than the 150 and my feet won't be able to sit flat on the floor, this is a must for me. I can sit on a CB400 with both feet on the floor no problem.

Thanks again for all the help,

Matt.

post-78406-1263614743_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the information, it has been very helpful indeed.

I've decided the 650 is out and the scooter is out. If i want to do a long bike tour, then I'll hire a big bike as suggested...

So now it's down to the Honda CBR150 vs the Kawasaki Ninja 250R....

Dave_Boo, Do you prefer your CBR150 to your 250R? I really enjoyed my CBR150, but I think the Ninja looks awesome, especially the black one (picture attached)

Does anyone know if the CBR150R 2010 model is out now? I was at Honda yesterday and they just scratched their heads when I asked!

A quick one regarding ride height - are they about the same height (CBR150 & 250R) - I'm a short-ass (around 5'7") and worried the 250R is higher than the 150 and my feet won't be able to sit flat on the floor, this is a must for me. I can sit on a CB400 with both feet on the floor no problem.

Thanks again for all the help,

Matt.

Well, I do prefer my CBR to the Ninjette.  However the Ninjette has been getting more riding time recently.  If I was spending more time in Samut Prakarn the CBR would be the ride of choice, but since the rides I'm taking when I'm home are marathon rides the Ninja's smoothness wins out.

And it may just be psychological, but the Ninja feels much wider than the CBR.  As discussed in another thread there is little difference at the handlebars, but the wider (more stable) tyres combined with the splayed position your knees are forced into really mess with your mind if you've spent considerable time on the lane splitting machine that is the CBR.

I'm not all that tall myself (2" taller than you if I go to attention) and I have no problems on either bike.  In fact that CBR feels like it has a taller seat and a quick Google search turns up the fact that it IS apparently 1/10 of an inch taller.  The Ninja does feel nice and low....

What DO you miss in the current bike?

Speed? You experienced enough in high speed?

Power? You experienced in BIG, Medium or Small bike power? If 150 cc you can go either 250 or 600 with 0 problems.

Convenience? Need auto or Gear?

The answer depends on it.

Also WHAT is your budget? If it's high enough get as big bike as you can afford, if not the Ninjette (250) is a great bike. I would rather buy a 2nd hand 4 pot than a 2 pot new, power from a 2 pot is about 400 4 pot. Anyway what do you like? Speed? Thrill? Comfort? Offroad?

Cheers Bard

I think this is still on topic. Can anyone quote prices , out the door, for new CBR 150, Tiger 250 and Ninja 250 ? Thanks.

My CBR150 was out the door at 64,500 six months ago and the prices have not changed ...at that dealer anyway.

They have stock on the floor now. (in Rayong) PM me if u want the dealer name.

I think this is still on topic. Can anyone quote prices , out the door, for new CBR 150, Tiger 250 and Ninja 250 ? Thanks.

My CBR150 was out the door at 64,500 six months ago and the prices have not changed ...at that dealer anyway.

They have stock on the floor now. (in Rayong) PM me if u want the dealer name.

The dealer I contacted told me that they had problems ordering CBR150R, the orders where rejected??