Free Visas For 2010 Said Tourism And Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa

dom samui

Was in MBK having my phone fixed yesterday and said to the guy repairing it how quiet it was. He said yes Hijacking Airport no good, better wait till busy then Hijack again and keep tourist here forever :)

Exchange rates aren't good but they may never go back to the old levels. People will get used to getting less baht for their money but they will never travel to countries that are in any sort of turmoil.

If and when the Thais bury the hatchet and people are confident the country is safe then they will return in their droves. Until then if you paid tourists to take a visa they still wouldn't come

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but a free 1,900 baht tourist visa wouldn't sway me to spend my 100,000 baht holiday money in Thailand

This is what I thought as well. I don't see the fact that the Visa is free convincing people to come to Thailand who otherwise would have gone somewhere else. It is nice and I'm sure people get a nice surprise from it, but I highly doubt many are making it a significant factor in their decisions.

Maybe this in concert with the reduction to 15 days of the VOA is increasing the average stay in Thailand, which would be a good thing in the end...longer vacation here=more money spent.

Let's face it it's the crappy exchange rate that's putting people off Thailand not 1900B for a visa. People who came here 2 years ago find themselves 20-30% worse off if they come now.

I AGREE ... you hit the mark. The cost of a visa represents an average lunch with the wife at an average eatery back home ... and no way would enter the decision making process when deciding which country to travel. As a traveller safety is the number 1 concern. Personal safety and financial safety.

By eliminating the cost of the visa i would think that the thais are attracting the kind of people that they do not want in the country.... i.e. no money and looking for a good time.

And i cannot understand what is going on with the exchange rate ... how can the baht possibly be so strong ... unless it is being held up by the government ... and then you have to ask why???? If you want to attract more and i mean a lot more tourists then let the baht drop to where it should be and clean up the red shirt problem. Build it and they will come ... hihihihihi :)

"Mr Chumpol on Thursday reported that the number of tourists last year exceeded the target of 14 million people"

Where were they?

Can anybody confirm these figures?

Someone has a short memory, or is telling porkies. It was only in December he sadly announced a shortfall of hundreds of thousands of tourists. If the elusive 14 million plus actually did grace these shores.........I wonder where they went :)

Dead right! But I suppose if you include all the illegal Cambodians and Burmese "tourists", sure it will add up to 14 million. It's just a matter of how we look at figures. Ever heard the phrase; "There are lies,...dam_n lies,... and statistics!" :D

I'm sorry but a free 1,900 baht tourist visa wouldn't sway me to spend my 100,000 baht holiday money in Thailand,.

The Visa fee is 1,000 Baht.

Yes, 20E per entry.

Real tourist do not need visa so it's a small gift for a minority.

I would have preferred an extension to 3 month, the trip to immigration for the 30 days extension is ridiculous...please make all visa 3 month and add the cost.

It seems that ignorance is bliss. People might be willing to spend a short holiday when they do not have any visa hassle at all. If I do not need a visa to travel to Singapore or to Indonesia but I do need to spend a day or more to get a visa from a Thai embassy or consulate I will switch from thailand to Indonesia. The few thousand baht that this will save a person who have money to burn is very uninteresting, the trip to the embassy costs significantly more than the visa Fee. But because the Thai government is Xenophobic they still want to see the paperwork.

I do not believe for one moment that it will increase the number of tourists. The number of tourist will probably increase but that is because the financial crisis is coming to an end and people have more discretionary income. It is however to be expected that the Thai tourism minister will claim otherwise as it increases his standing. Be especially aware when statistical figures are used to underscore statements, statistics in Thailand are even more bogus than those of Greece.

When did Indonesia stop charging US$10 for 7 day visa and US$25 for 30 day visa?

And i cannot understand what is going on with the exchange rate ... how can the baht possibly be so strong ... unless it is being held up by the government ... and then you have to ask why???? If you want to attract more and i mean a lot more tourists then let the baht drop to where it should be and clean up the red shirt problem. Build it and they will come ... hihihihihi :)

I have no complaints about Oz $ exchange rate, is back about where it always was except for 1 bad year when it bottommed out at about 20baht

By eliminating the cost of the visa i would think that the thais are attracting the kind of people that they do not want in the country.... i.e. no money and looking for a good time.

:)

In my opinion that's really true,in England we have just been spammed with TV mads showing a load of Z-list English footballers (in their garish red footy shirts funnilly enough lol) strolling drunkenly along through Thai streets, speaking English to the locals & saying to the camera "cor its hot here". The advert,which seemed to be on TV endlessly through winter terrestrial UK, ends with the line "amazing Thailand, amazing value".

Value is nice, but to consign an entire nation with an ancient culture, to 4 words ending in value is pretty ugly. And the beery footy image that ran through the whole ad made me personally recoil. Seems they want to attract UK drunks who are drawn to 'free' visa & are careless with their money once they arrive,and who shuffle off home once they sober up & their one month runs out.

Exchange rates aren't good but they may never go back to the old levels. People will get used to getting less baht for their money ...

People should be careful what they ask for. Unfortunately the baht will go "back to the old levels". Many of us remember 25 baht to the dollar.

You're looking at it backwards. The baht isn't so strong. It's the US dollar that is weak, and for very good reason. Compare the baht to the Canadian dollar, Aussie dollar and Swiss franc. I expect high 20's for the baht against the dollar by end 2011.

Well free visas certainly aint going to turn the tourists away from Thailand. How many it attracts will remain moot but it will probably be popular at least with the traveller crowd. Still got to fill a TV thread with negativity I suppose.

Edited by hammered

At the end of the day the exchange rate is important maybe the eastern/ developing economies are doing better while the develped world like UK etc., are still smarting from Credit Crunch. Ticket prices have certainly been reduced in the quiet months encouraging the European affluent pensioners, Gap Year students, Thai partners to go to Thailand this Winter.

I guess there are two big factors Thailand has to worry about. 1. Future political changes in Thailand - the current PM is doing well presently. 2. China - there are some FT writers/ western economists arguing that the ecomomy of booming China is "problematic" as they have themselves now created a credit bubble to save themselves from the massive drop in Western exports last year. For example Chinese shares and Urban property/ apartments bought for investment purposes etc., are sky high. Its your bubble waiting to go bang. I guess when China goes down (if it does) the surrounding economies will go with it. Meanwhile enjoy the beach, the beer and the sun while we suffer our cold winter.

At the end of the day the exchange rate is important maybe the eastern/ developing economies are doing better while the develped world like UK etc., are still smarting from Credit Crunch. Ticket prices have certainly been reduced in the quiet months encouraging the European affluent pensioners, Gap Year students, Thai partners to go to Thailand this Winter.

I guess there are two big factors Thailand has to worry about.

1. Future political changes in Thailand - the current PM is doing well presently.

2. China - there are some FT writers/ western economists arguing that the ecomomy of booming China is "problematic" as they have themselves now created a credit bubble to save themselves from the massive drop in Western exports last year.

For example Chinese shares and Urban property/ apartments bought for investment purposes etc., are sky high. Its your bubble waiting to go bang. I guess when China goes down (if it does) the surrounding economies will go with it. Meanwhile enjoy the beach, the beer and the sun while we suffer our cold winter.

1. That is an understatement (to talk about political changes being a factor for instability)....but it remains to be seen if Abhisit will occupy the pluche much longer. For the peace process it would be good but he's not an economical heavy weight which, in fact, Thailand needs; urgently. The present government isn't doing much more than settle fights between them rather than to steer the country.

2. There are bubbles everywhere, not just China, and I foresee a bear downer of between 10-15% on the short term but that would be more problematic for the west rather than China.

China's foreign reserves rose 23 percent to $2.4 trillion, the world’s largest.

Your so called massive drops in (western) exports were in fact -16% versus 2008. But China still had a staggering total exports of $ 1.2 Trillion.

But if you look at the figures from 2000 onwards that -16% was made up for a great deal with LOCAL consumption. Look at the figures of car sales for instance with many other appliances, household goods, fashion etc, next to it.

Local consumption grew enormous, also due to the government's stimulus. Don't forget that China's population are sitting on enormous amounts of money they saved themselves and that's something the western countries could learn something from instead of spending their credit cards and living on credit and mortgages.

China's government spent huge amounts to promote it's population to spend rather than to sit on the cash and, what's more: it helped and people starting to consume.

I bet the average Chinese family has more savings, cash in the bank, than any other nation on earth, proportion wise of course.

Recommended readings:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=at7RtqkhdSaU

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2010...ent_9331137.htm

Mea Culpa for drifting away from the OP but the "Free Visas for 2010" is a step by the Government to help and boost the economy; if it will help much remains to be seen.

People decide at home WHERE they will go on holiday and they will only find out about the Free Thai Visa fees AFTER they made their decision to go to Thailand; not many will make the Free Visa the ultimate decision factor.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

"Mr Chumpol on Thursday reported that the number of tourists last year exceeded the target of 14 million people"

Where were they? Can anybody confirm these figures?

Continuation of "free" visa, can't see that would make much of a difference.

amazing thailand is a bit 'tricky'.

before they issued 60 day tourist visa, double entry which could be extended twice for 30 days each for 500 baht each.

so a tourist paid once for his visa, 1000 baht for 2 extensions and could stay 180 days in amazing thailand, leaving it only once.

he was counted as two tourists (2 entries). now they changed that. they don't issue double entries no more

and increased the extension fee to 1,900 baht. the same tourist NOW would need two visa single entry instead of one double

and pay twice 1,900 = 3,800 for extensions. without any visa, tourist from many countries got 30 day visa exemption

which could have been extended for 15 days for 500 baht. NOW visa are only extended for 10 days for 1,900 baht

plus beware of an ominous express or special service fee sometimes. after those changes i.e. price increases. many long term tourists,

meaning ONE long term, resorted to visa exemption. 30 days each meant 6 entries instead of 2 before, but was totally free.

then the tourist crisis struck, visa was free, but extensions still 1,900 baht. the latest fine thai idea to 'promote' tourism was:

we give 15 days on entry instead of 30 days, thus doubling the number of entries from 6 per half year to 12.

thus doubling the number of tourists and doubling the profits of the visa-run-mafia. let's wait for their next 'amazing thailand' idea.....

I'm sorry but a free 1,900 baht tourist visa wouldn't sway me to spend my 100,000 baht holiday money in Thailand, I would also think the big spenders are the people on the two week holidays (lot of money to spend in a short time) and they get a visa on arrival.

Whats stopping people coming is the uncertainty as to whether it will still be safe to come three months after they've booked their flight and hotel.

Kevc, you hit the nail on the head and your statement is right in the bull's eye. That's the real problem "the uncertainty from travellers for their security in the light of this continued threat from red shirts to go ahead with their silly rallies and creating political turmoil with the only goal to bring the Government down and Toxin back in power, no matter at what cost, even with bloodshed!"

And if the Government will go down, the yellow shirts will surely not accept a bandit like Toxin to come back in power... That would be a declaration of war against all who have the sense of rightness and respect to the country and its institutions.

and ther we go, again and again...

Meanwhile, the neighbours are growing stronger and stronger, offering much better prospects of fair treatment and charming holidays... Their future is bright!

@ dude007: I refer to your last sentence "Meanwhile, the neighbours.... offering much better prospects of "fair treatment" and charming holidays..." Who exactly are the neighbours treating fairer? Tourists or potential investors?

I wanted to settle down here in Thailand and invest a bit in the local economy, but the more I read about the reqirements, visas, red tape etc. the less interest I have of staying here.

I have nothing holding me here in Thailand and am thinking of moving on to either Cambodia or Laos (or even Vietnam) if it is easier to "set up shop" over there.

Can anybody suggest a couple of good sites, newspapers, magazines, etc. where I can read up on the developments in SE Asia (preferably in English or German)? I am particularly interested in the economic developments, tourism sector, business requirements/developments. I haven't been able to find anything remotely interesting/reliable.

Thanking you in advance.

I'm sorry but a free 1,900 baht tourist visa wouldn't sway me to spend my 100,000 baht holiday money in Thailand, I would also think the big spenders are the people on the two week holidays (lot of money to spend in a short time) and they get a visa on arrival.

Whats stopping people coming is the uncertainty as to whether it will still be safe to come three months after they've booked their flight and hotel.

Kevc, you hit the nail on the head and your statement is right in the bull's eye. That's the real problem "the uncertainty from travellers for their security in the light of this continued threat from red shirts to go ahead with their silly rallies and creating political turmoil with the only goal to bring the Government down and Toxin back in power, no matter at what cost, even with bloodshed!"

And if the Government will go down, the yellow shirts will surely not accept a bandit like Toxin to come back in power... That would be a declaration of war against all who have the sense of rightness and respect to the country and its institutions.

and ther we go, again and again...

Meanwhile, the neighbours are growing stronger and stronger, offering much better prospects of fair treatment and charming holidays... Their future is bright!

@ dude007: I refer to your last sentence "Meanwhile, the neighbours.... offering much better prospects of "fair treatment" and charming holidays..." Who exactly are the neighbours treating fairer? Tourists or potential investors?

I wanted to settle down here in Thailand and invest a bit in the local economy, but the more I read about the reqirements, visas, red tape etc. the less interest I have of staying here.

I have nothing holding me here in Thailand and am thinking of moving on to either Cambodia or Laos (or even Vietnam) if it is easier to "set up shop" over there.

Can anybody suggest a couple of good sites, newspapers, magazines, etc. where I can read up on the developments in SE Asia (preferably in English or German)? I am particularly interested in the economic developments, tourism sector, business requirements/developments. I haven't been able to find anything remotely interesting/reliable.

Thanking you in advance.

A lot of information here in TV just search for threads on the site.

14 million is unbeleiveable

I have been travelling 10 times out of Thailand in neighboring countries for my job. I am counting for 10 tourists visiting Thailand...

Absolutely. As do the border hoppers. :D

Agree.

may I add the 1.825.379* Malaysian "tourists" in 2008 ? :)

THAILANDInternational_Tourist_Arrivals_2008up27Mar09.xls

* or were they just 456.000 "tourists" hopping over 4 times a year?

or maybe just 300.000 coming 6 times per year?

who knows?

For Mr or Mrs TAT is doesn't matter: a tourist is a tourist.

LaoPo

Are Malaysian asked to fill a TM card at the boarder?

Just ask this , cause i never saw one asked to, the time i had to do boarder runs but it was some years ago (may be they changed since this time)

If they wouldn't have to do so, HOW would Thailand know how many Malaysians (or from other countries) enter Thailand on a yearly basis ? :)

LaoPo

• 4 weeks later...

To those who poo poo the notion that a free visa acts as an incentive, I argue that it's an effective way to reinforce the perception that Thailand is a great destination for a holiday on a budget. And during hard times, many people have a difficult time rationalizing discretionary spending on luxuries like a holiday overseas.

I also think that an expensive visa acts as a disincentive, especially when a person considers revisiting a country. I'll be damned if I'll revisit China any time soon because it costs me over $100 for a visa.

Edited by misterjag