Why Mix Google Ads In A Persons Writing?

Ajarnmai

TV has to make a buck. :)

Agreed, but I think the ad placements they had already were suffice. The ones at the top just under the "thailand forum" link would have been getting a few clicks I reckon as they were cleverly blended to match the forum links.

I have to say I find the ads positioned in peoples posts a bit annoying as I instinctively start to read them thinking they are someones reply. A minor annoyance but an anoyance none the less.

Just my 2 cents :D

The ads actually inside the posts should disappear when you log in, only Guests should see them :)

But this still breaches our copyright....which so far TV has not considered queries worthy of reply by allowing alteration to our posts.

The term in the advertising world is "clutter". When there are just too many ad messages on any one page such that an advertiser feels that, regardless of reach and frequency of exposures, his/her advertisement is not being noticed or being just plain ignored because of such clutter, then some sort of equilibrium will be forced upon the TV.com powers-that-be by those advertisers.

Edited by jazzbo

The term in the advertising world is "clutter". When there are just too many ad messages on any one page such that an advertiser feels that, regardless of reach and frequency of exposures, his/her advertisement is not being noticed or being just plain ignored because of such clutter, then some sort of equilibrium will be forced upon the TV.com powers-that-be by those advertisers.

Do you think that TV would do this if it meant less clicks on the ads? That would kind of defeat the purpose of the ads in the first place wouldn't it?

Google offers very detailed statistics on their adsense, and so TV should be able to monitor each ad placement and see if it is good or bad.

I was referring more to the banner-type ads that are sold on a CPM basis although click-throughs may be affected as well... sometimes it is hard to tell that there IS an ad and -- although in bold -- that it is not just part of the post itself.

I'm surprised that TV's Adsense account hasn't already been suspended/terminated for violations of the Adsense TOS. If I were the owner of this site I would seriously consider getting an Adsense expert in to get the house in order before the inevitable happens.

I'm surprised that TV's Adsense account hasn't already been suspended/terminated for violations of the Adsense TOS. If I were the owner of this site I would seriously consider getting an Adsense expert in to get the house in order before the inevitable happens.

Lordsux, you have no idea what you are talking about.

We are following the guidelines from our assigned Google representative to 100%. Thaivisa.com is a publisher with a special agreement with Google, we are allowed to style our ads differently then a standard Adsense publisher. You can do a google search for --> Adsense premium publisher if you want to know more. I am not allowed to discuss this in detail due to contractual regulations.

We are always testing different ad layouts, allowed by Google and with near contact with them. The goal is to reduce the number of ads in total, increase the revenue, and try to reduce "ad blindness" on the site.

George

we are allowed to style our ads differently then a standard Adsense publisher.

Ah, so that's why the latest spate of ads that have been added look so similar to normal forum posts. I actually prefer it that way though - makes the page look less disjointed, and the whole thing fits together neater. The ads then become less of an eyesore.

Edit: Just posted this and then scrolled up the page to see how the ads here look - noticed that, obviously, this only applies to the text ads not the image banners!

Edited by dantilley

Lordsux, you have no idea what you are talking about.

We are following the guidelines from our assigned Google representative to 100%. Thaivisa.com is a publisher with a special agreement with Google, we are allowed to style our ads differently then a standard Adsense publisher. You can do a google search for --> Adsense premium publisher if you want to know more. I am not allowed to discuss this in detail due to contractual regulations.

We are always testing different ad layouts, allowed by Google and with near contact with them. The goal is to reduce the number of ads in total, increase the revenue, and try to reduce "ad blindness" on the site.

George

I lost an Adsense account for the same violation

'I have no idea what I am talking about'. Fine!

For your information it has nothing to do with the way the ads are blended into the site and I'm sure it is not covered with a 'special agreement' with Adsense, but hey, what do I know? Maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry Dan, but apparently 'I have no idea what I'm talking about' so I would rather not give out incorrect information. I know that Adsense will close one account for violating their TOS within hours, whereas another site violating the same rule, can and have been serving Ads for years.

Edited by lordsux

I lost an Adsense account for the same violation

And that violation is...???

None.

That may be so George, but as I don't have full knowledge of the ins and outs of a Premium Adsense Publisher account and your special agreement I must give you the benefit of the doubt in this matter.

:)

If your referring to the Google Ads at the top of posts...I have no particular love or hate for them.

I will admit I'm not particularly fond of the one that says something like: Meet Thai Ladyboys on-line for friendship and companionship....or something like that.

But I'm taking it all with a grain of salt and good humor.

:D

Like a printed paper or magazine Thaivisa relies on advertisements.

Take a look at the classic example - the daily newspaper. How do they cover their technical and other costs?

It is funded by selling advertisements. Why do have a lot of newspapers problems these days?

Less advertising revenue.

With advertisements a paper/online publication will survive - without it will "die".

If you are in that business which way would you chose? With or without ads?

Like a printed paper or magazine Thaivisa relies on advertisements.

Take a look at the classic example - the daily newspaper. How do they cover their technical and other costs?

It is funded by selling advertisements. Why do have a lot of newspapers problems these days?

Less advertising revenue.

With advertisements a paper/online publication will survive - without it will "die".

If you are in that business which way would you chose? With or without ads?

I agree with what you write webfact, but the big difference being that 'the daily newspaper' will usually be paying for its content, be it the writers, editors, journalists, photographers ect.

The ads actually inside the posts should disappear when you log in, only Guests should see them smile.gif
I was referring more to the banner-type ads that are sold on a CPM basis although click-throughs may be affected as well... sometimes it is hard to tell that there IS an ad and -- although in bold -- that it is not just part of the post itself.

I believe what the OP is refereeing to is the new Google ads which look like a forum, hence clearly designed to fool us into clicking them. (see circled in red below) It's was hard enough to find the forum you wanted amongst the many forums and banners before. Very sad and disappointing to see this attempt at blatant trickery used on us by our beloved ThaiVisa. :)

1-17-20101-46-56PM.png

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I believe what the OP is refereeing to is the new Google ads which look like a forum, hence clearly designed to fool us into clicking them. (see circled in red below) It's was hard enough to find the forum you wanted amongst the many forums and banners before. Very sad and disappointing to see this attempt at blatant trickery used on us by our beloved ThaiVisa. :)

Interestingly for the powers that be, I had not noticed these ads as they look too much like forums. Sorry George that tactic is not working (at least on me), unfortunately now they've been pointed out I can't fail to see them :D