Do You Own / Drive A Car In Bangkok

corkman

If you can understand Thai Law, then no

Could you expand a little :) Wife and child at home all day without a car.... she's thai but has a full european driving license..... and we'd have al lthe requisite / recommended insurances etc.

For me the answer is NO. I have lived and worked in BKK may times and would not dream of being without my own wheels despite the horrendous traffic problems. :)

It all depends on where you live.... I live in Sathorn right around the corner from the Aussie embassy... no need for a car ever... and I do have a car parking space... also I like a wee drink or two.. I am also single, so no wife or kids to take care of transport-wise...plus the fact I have terrible road-rage.... If you live out of the way of easy transport, if you have kids, if you dont drink and drive, and if you have the patience of a saint... have a car..!!

I have been driving in Bangkok for the last fourteen years and it is less hassle than in EU. Buy an Asian make vehicle and spares and servicing is plentiful and cheap.

If you worry about finding your way around, there are excellent sat-nav now available with every road and dirt track up country on the maps.

I would not dream of living in Thailand without my own car,

I moved here 8 months ago and we are getting ready to buy a car. And here's why:

1. Shopping for "stuff" can be frustrating when there is no convenient way to transport it. Even groceries. My hands often ache from carrying groceries halfway from the Emporium down Soi 24 where we live. Too short for taxis to even accept the fare.

2. For everyday stuff, we will continue to take taxis and the Skytrain. But there are times I want to explore more remote parts of the city when a car will come in handy.

3. To explore the country in some detail. I'm retired, so this is important to me to enjoy the overall culture of Thailand.

If I were still working...I certainly wouldn't buy a car with which to commute. Everyday use? Where does on park IN Bangkok?

I have lived in such cities as Warsaw, Tokyo and Fukuoka and have never felt the need to own a car. First of all, I hate traffic jams. I prefer riding a motorcycle/scooter (a bicycle when the distance is short) to driving a car and I also like travelling by train/subway.

I wouldn't think about buying a car if I moved to Thailand (what I will maybe do), especially Bangkok with its BTS, MRT, Chao Phraya Express and motorcycle taxis. Sometimes I also hail a tuk-tuk - rather in the night when the traffic is not so bad (in the daytime only to get to the nearest BTS station).

If I were going to buy my own vehicle in LOS, it would be a motorbike.

Edited by joorakee

You may not need a car for everyday if you live and work in the centre of town, but what about getting out of Bangkok?

I couldn't imagine not being able to just jump in the car and go to Cha-am for the day or Ayutthaya for dinner on the spur of the moment.

but what about getting out of Bangkok?

I couldn't imagine not being able to just jump in the car and go to Cha-am for the day or Ayutthaya for dinner on the spur of the moment.

For me, there are at least 3 possibilities:

1. My own motorbike (or a hired one).

2. A train from Hua Lamphong Station (if any).

3. A booked trip starting in Khao San Rd.

but what about getting out of Bangkok?

For me, there are at least 3 possibilities:

1. My own motorbike (or a hired one).

2. A train from Hua Lamphong Station (if any).

3. A booked trip starting in Khao San Rd.

Those options are OK for a tourist but the OP is asking about people who live and possibly work here.

I thought the same as you before we moved here but would not be without the car now. Our quality of life is so much better for being easily able to leave Bangkok whenever we want, within 15 minutes drive we can be in the county enjoying the green paddy fields and coconut trees swaying in the breeze. Of course being able to go out and buy stuff without worrying about getting it home is nice as well.

If you are a western ex-pat living here with a Thai wife I would imagine you have a slim chance of getting her on the back of a motorbike for a 2 hour trip to Ayutthaya. In her mind she will be able to hear everybody you pass saying 'farang kee nok'..

I moved here 8 months ago and we are getting ready to buy a car. And here's why:

1. Shopping for "stuff" can be frustrating when there is no convenient way to transport it. Even groceries. My hands often ache from carrying groceries halfway from the Emporium down Soi 24 where we live. Too short for taxis to even accept the fare.

There's not such thing as too short for a taxi to accept the fare. They would actually prefer a non stop series short of 35 baht rides as that is the most profitable. They'll drive you 100 meters if you pay them 35 baht. Although really short distances are what tuk tuk are useful for.

Anyway you couldn't pay me to drive a car in Bangkok. Would be nice for trips outside of it though.

... Parking in Bangkok is not a problem, there is parking everywhere...

Apart from getting past that pesky plant pot at home of course :)

I'm curious as to why people won't drive in Bangkok. I was a bit nervous the first time, especially as I was in the wife's (then girlfriend) new truck, but it's no worse than driving in any big city. It has the advantage that when you do have to push in front of someone you probably won't even get beeped, back home you would probably get dragged out of your car and beaten to a pulp!

There's not such thing as too short for a taxi to accept the fare. They would actually prefer a non stop series short of 35 baht rides as that is the most profitable. They'll drive you 100 meters if you pay them 35 baht. Although really short distances are what tuk tuk are useful for.

The several times I was refused I guess it was just my imagination.

I live half the week in Bkk. I drive into Bkk park in my condo garage then never touch the car until I leave. Would I have a car if I lived here full time? Yes but only with gps. It helps that i live in lower sukhumvit 200 meters from the BTS though.

Edited by sgunn65

Thanks everyone for all your replies! I think from all the replies, the thread has re-affirmed what I suspected, and that is that I will need a car.

Yes, I have a wife (Thai) and child...... and everything from being to buy stuff and bring it home, to being able to escape out of the city, all makes perfect sense.

Going forward on the premise that I do need a car, what would be the recommended means of vehicle ownership? i.e. is it recommended to buy a car, or lease one? If purchasing, then is there a good second hand market, or is it best to buy new? I know from buying a motorbike in Isan that the ammount you save buying second hand is not worth the risk you take that it could have been hammered by the previous owner (probably was)......

What type of vehicle would be recommended? When we come on holidays I always hire a Fortuner, ismply because a car could not manage half the roads (i.e. dirt roads etc.) that you come accross in Isan...... but for use primarily in and around Bkk, would you recommend for or against anything in particular?

Thanks everyone for all your replies! I think from all the replies, the thread has re-affirmed what I suspected, and that is that I will need a car.

Yes, I have a wife (Thai) and child...... and everything from being to buy stuff and bring it home, to being able to escape out of the city, all makes perfect sense.

Going forward on the premise that I do need a car, what would be the recommended means of vehicle ownership? i.e. is it recommended to buy a car, or lease one? If purchasing, then is there a good second hand market, or is it best to buy new? I know from buying a motorbike in Isan that the ammount you save buying second hand is not worth the risk you take that it could have been hammered by the previous owner (probably was)......

What type of vehicle would be recommended? When we come on holidays I always hire a Fortuner, ismply because a car could not manage half the roads (i.e. dirt roads etc.) that you come accross in Isan...... but for use primarily in and around Bkk, would you recommend for or against anything in particular?

A 2nd hand Vios or City (not over 5 years old) will be fine for Bangkok and an occasional drive to Hua Hin or similar.

Immediately after purchase, send it to the authorised garage for a work over and fix leaky engine, radiator/water pump, air-con, brakes, suspension, wheel alignment, exhaust pipes/muffler, tune up, oil change. Then it should be trouble free for another 5 years at least with regular 10,000 km service.

... Parking in Bangkok is not a problem, there is parking everywhere...

Apart from getting past that pesky plant pot at home of course :)

I'm curious as to why people won't drive in Bangkok. I was a bit nervous the first time, especially as I was in the wife's (then girlfriend) new truck, but it's no worse than driving in any big city. It has the advantage that when you do have to push in front of someone you probably won't even get beeped, back home you would probably get dragged out of your car and beaten to a pulp!

LOL, the old dears have moved out.

My wife is driving right now as I'm pissed! She is so much more calmer at navigating through the traffic than me.

It depends on what you want to use a car for. For commuting to and from work, I drive my car because it works cheaper than cab fare and there's no parking hassle as I have a parking space at home and at the office.

At night when going out I prefer taxis as I don't have to worry about parking, traffic jams (often worse at night, esp along Sukhumvit) or drinking and driving.

YES

car is a lot of hassle + expenses to just waste your time in the jam.

Get a small and versatile bike.

No, get both! We have 2 cars and 2 bikes, all serve different purposes. Bikes are cheap enough that everybody should have one if you feel confident riding in Bangkok traffic.

I have both a car and a Motorbike. As I live out in Bang Phli there isnt really much option but to own a Car. I prefer to ride my motorbike, but its not as nice on the flat straight roads here, It was much nicer when I lived in banglamung and could find some great rides within about 20 mins.