Moving Company/truck

mnbcm

There was a thread about this not long ago but the search facility on this Forum is utterly useless. I seem to remember someone saying that you will find " man with van" lining up outside Wat Phra Singh early mornings Can't vouch for it though.

There was a thread about this not long ago but the search facility on this Forum is utterly useless. I seem to remember someone saying that you will find " man with van" lining up outside Wat Phra Singh early mornings Can't vouch for it though.

I used one of these guys when I moved last July but they only have pick-up trucks with steel cages and not closed vans. They are reasonably cheap but don't expect 5 star service. They are not too fussy about how they pile the furniture on and you may get one or two scratches here and there. Use your own car to take as much as you can including any glass and mirrors etc and make sure you arrive at the new address before they do and open all the doors wide because they love hitting doors and walls. All in all; they got the job done fairly cheaply but not too carefully. TIT.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll keep looking around.

Be careful if you employ the services of a Songtaew mnbcm. I got one from Tesco Lotus parking area. Once we'd loaded the Pick Up, i followed the bloke and his wife round to the new place on my motorbike. He kept beckoning me to go ahead, but i said it's okay, i'll stay with him in the traffic to make sure he didn't get lost (just 2 sois down :) .) When we arrived, they helped unload the gear onto the tarmac, and then took off like the Apollo 1 (i'd paid the buggers to help me up to the room with it!).

To cut a long story short, they had kept a box behind that had miscellaneous bits and bobs inside, with the most pricey item being my eye glasses. The rest of the stuff was just crockery, salt and pepper pots, a coffee press, and a few other nicknacks, so they must have been disappointed :D. No major loss, but i was still annoyed at the sheer audacity of the couple.

Aitch

• 1 year later...

I too will be moving to Isaan from CNX. Since I have a lot of stuff, I decided to go with the biggest transport company in Thailand, Nim See Seng. The move happens next week, so I do not have a report yet, but I can say this: they had a fixed rate for the size of truck. The logistics man (Sompong) came to see what I had, and declared I needed a small 6-wheel truck. Sounds right to me. The price is 18,000 baht, which also sounds right to me, as it includes a lot of furniture, refrigerator and motorcycle. Plus 50 boxes of books.

If anyone wants a report on the results, send me a PM and I'll tell you how it all went.

We paid about 5000 Baht for about 4 cubic meters which is a lot of stuff BKK to C.M. (Nim See Seng) about 2 years ago. I was also quoted 5000 to have some stuff (about 1.5 cubic meters) sent BKK to C.M. just recently from another company that was being dispatched by a freight forwarder. So 18,000 sounds extraordinarily high to me. Did you have a Thai make the arrangements for you?

Also the guys in front of Wat Phra Singh won't take your stuff all the way to Isaan. They are for moves inside C.M.:rolleyes:

Edited by elektrified

We paid about 5000 Baht for about 4 cubic meters which is a lot of stuff BKK to C.M. (Nim See Seng) about 2 years ago. I was also quoted 5000 to have some stuff (about 1.5 cubic meters) sent BKK to C.M. just recently from another company that was being dispatched by a freight forwarder. So 18,000 sounds extraordinarily high to me. Did you have a Thai make the arrangements for you?

Also the guys in front of Wat Phra Singh won't take your stuff all the way to Isaan. They are for moves inside C.M.:rolleyes:

Yes, I had a student make the initial contact, I negotiated with the logistics man and students verified the agreement with the main office.

The price still seems fair to me because it includes everything: furniture, fridge, motorcycle, suitcases and about 50 or more boxes.

Also, I am going to Mahasarakham, where there is no return load. Your deal on the BKK route is because there will always be another load to haul, and they can put several customers on one truck. BKK-CM is a 9-hour drive; Mahasarakham is over 14 hours.