An English-only Speaking Friend Wants To Bring Gifts To Hospitals

webworldly

Hi....an English-only speaking friend wants to bring gifts (total of 2000 BAHT) and spend a few minutes visiting lonely patients (any age, any illness....doesn't matter to her) in a Bangkok hospital. Which hospital would you recommend as being most familiar with and receptive to this idea....of a farang stranger who just wants to cheer up lonely patients. And what sort of gifts do best (not cash or gift cards....she'd prefer to bring actual gifts) under these circumstances?

CHEERS!

D

Ha! Adding "Jesus freak" was a nice touch, Sabum....although my friend isn't religious and I didn't say or imply she was. She has no ulterior motive or obfuscated agenda....rather, she just wants to help lonely patients (she was once one herself) feel less neglected. Ahhhhh....and of course, she believes her actions will make her happy, too.

I look forward to additional replies. Which hospital? What sort of gifts?

CHEERS!

D

Is your friend completely insane? Because if I was laid up in the hospital and some jesus freak smiling loony that speaks an unintelligible language came to my bedside with "gifts" I'd be screaming for security.

No mention of religion in his/her post but could this be construed as work?

Wow! I hadn't even considered....and I'll bet my friend hasn't either (she's on a different visa, but it still doesn't allow work).....the possibility that doing what she wants to do might constitute a violation of Thai law. Now I'm even more interested to hear additional replies. Thank you YABAAAA!

CHEERS!

D

tell her to visit rather inmates in the bangkok hilton, foster home, old peoples home or dogs rescue - hospitals are the wrong place to be.

if she wants to take it further, she might contact her embassy/consulate - there might be some ex-patriates in need of contact with the other countrymen, even to talk on the phone. My wife was once contacted by the thai consulate, when some thai woman was dying lonely in the hospital and wanted somebody to be with her for comfort. The consulate might even pay some travelling expenses, if needed

Edited by londonthai

Hi....an English-only speaking friend wants to bring gifts (total of 2000 BAHT) and spend a few minutes visiting lonely patients (any age, any illness....doesn't matter to her) in a Bangkok hospital. Which hospital would you recommend as being most familiar with and receptive to this idea....of a farang stranger who just wants to cheer up lonely patients. And what sort of gifts do best (not cash or gift cards....she'd prefer to bring actual gifts) under these circumstances?

CHEERS!

If she is only English speaking how/will she be able to talk to someone who speaks Thai and cheer them up? does she do slapstick comedy..... thai style at the bottom of their bed?

I would advise because she is only English speaking that it would be best to go and see the many English/foriegners that are in hospital and cheer them up! ...As you say it will make her feel better if she can converse as well,i think that would be more appropiate and also the hospitals would not think she was some kind of religious freak.

Which hospitals?......not sure.

What gifts?.....fruit and nuts.

Visiting someone in hospital cannot be classed as working or seeking work,but it could be classed as being a nuisance.

Wow! I hadn't even considered....and I'll bet my friend hasn't either (she's on a different visa, but it still doesn't allow work).....the possibility that doing what she wants to do might constitute a violation of Thai law. Now I'm even more interested to hear additional replies. Thank you YABAAAA!

CHEERS!

D

I hardly think visiting somebody in hospital would be construed as "working without a work permit"

I visited my wife's staff in hospital a few weeks ago. I'd never met the man before. Is that working?

To that end then the Thai law about "exerting effort" could cover such things as opening a door for somebody or push starting a neighbour's car with a flat battery.

Edited by mca

Just a point to consider....I would presume that you are not talking about private hospitals therefore I would like to point out my experience of seeing the Korat government hospital.

The hospital is huge with many buildings so I am only talking about the one building I went into to visit a relative of my wife.

I walked into the lobby which looked like many others and then used the lift to go up to the fourth floor and as soon as the lift doors opened I could not believe my eyes........the place was heaving, and I mean packed........there were people laying on mattresses in all the corridors and the lift bay as close as three feet from the lift doors. The wards themselves looked like any busy hospital with beds etc but its the way they had packed so many people into every bit of available space outside.

The point I am making is, with all her good intent, just who would she choose to shower with gifts and what would all the others feel like when they dont get a freebie from the "crazy ferang". ( I say crazy ferang because that is how they would see her)

I think she would upset far more people than the one or two she chose to visit.

As someone else said there are always opportunitys for people to visit prisoners in the Hilton and that would be really appreciated by them.

HL :)

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially those who offered constructive tips....including a new angle of telling my friend to consider visiting prisons instead of hospitals. I'll see if she's up for it! To those who added not much more than sarcasm.....thank you, too....as you helped keep this thread at the top of the forum long enough for others to see and participate. WOOHOO!

I'll report back.....if she reports back to me...lol!!

CHEERS!

D

CHEERS!

D

I hardly think visiting somebody in hospital would be construed as "working without a work permit"

I visited my wife's staff in hospital a few weeks ago. I'd never met the man before. Is that working?

To that end then the Thai law about "exerting effort" could cover such things as opening a door for somebody or push starting a neighbour's car with a flat battery.

If you offered to push start everybody's car it might be though.