D.i.y. Salmon

Salmon, as you may or may not know, (doesn't matter) is my favourite snack and more than any than any other way, I prefer to eat it in small raw slabs with a high quality soy sauce and a little wasabi.

When I am visiting one of Bangkok's several Oishi buffet restaurants, the set price I pay goes almost exclusivly to the plate upon plate of raw salmon that I consume, washed down with green tea until I can eat no more.

The only other way I get my fix is at Carrefour where they have started doing little tray's of salmon only in the sushi dept.

My question to the forum is...

In a couple of weeks when I will be in either England, South Korea or Scotland, will I be able to prepare my own salmon slabs from a whole fish?

Which part of the fish is the best, or is the cut used by sushi chefs and will it taste as good as it does here, assuming I get the right soy sauce, (reccomendations for that also welcome) ...and if I don't end up in Scotland, how fresh can I get it?

Finally, where's the nearest salmon farm to Bangkok and are there any apartments for rent nearby?

Edited by The Gentleman Scamp

i'm one.

The whole salmon fillet is used , scamps.

cut from the head onto the backbone and slice through untill the end.

Take a tweezer and pull out one by one the grates that are stuck in there. leave skin

Marinate in Dille, oil mustard vinaigre pepper corns solution for about 2 days.

Finely slice diagonally from top to skin.

reassemble and put back on skin or slice when needed.

Norwegian marinated salmon.

The difference in quality depends on the species (region) not an a part of the meat.

i'm one.

Take a tweezer and pull out one by one the grates that are stuck in there. leave skin

The difference in quality depends on the species (region) not an a part of the meat.

Aaaaahhhhhh, stop it! :o:D

Salmon, as you may or may not know, (doesn't matter) is my favourite snack and more than any than any other way, I prefer to eat it in small raw slabs with a high quality soy sauce and a little wasabi.

When I am visiting one of Bangkok's several Oishi buffet restaurants, the set price I pay goes almost exclusivly to the plate upon plate of raw salmon that I consume, washed down with green tea until I can eat no more.

The only other way I get my fix is at Carrefour where they have started doing little tray's of salmon only in the sushi dept.

My question to the forum is...

In a couple of weeks when I will be in either England, South Korea or Scotland, will I be able to prepare my own salmon slabs from a whole fish?

Which part of the fish is the best, or is the cut used by sushi chefs and will it taste as good as it does here, assuming I get the right soy sauce, (reccomendations for that also welcome) ...and if I don't end up in Scotland, how fresh can I get it?

Finally, where's the nearest salmon farm to Bangkok and are there any apartments for rent nearby?

Be careful Scamps - I read up a little on this (but then forgot).

Saltwater fish is safer than freshwater fish - something to do with parasites. If you eat raw salmon - make sure it has been frozen - it kills off the parasites. No problem with supermarket fish but with fish from a fish farm - eating it raw without pre-freezing could make you very sick.

i'm one.

Aaaaahhhhhh, stop it! :o:D

:D

Don't think they have salmon farms as it's a cold water fish that lives in the sea and only returns to sweat water (it's own river it was born in) to mate and die.

If you like eating them you should go to alaska or norway , scampy :D

News on 10:37:23 10/5/2001

Japan warming up to using frozen salmon for sushi

According to France's number one salmon importer, Direct Océan, the Japanese are coming round to the idea of using the frozen commodity to prepare sushi.

"New ultra-fast freezing methods are having an enormous impact on the salmon industry," MD of Direct Océan, Philippe Barbe told IntraFish. "A sizeable fish can be completely frozen within seconds allowing molecules to stay whole and assure no water rejections when defrosted."

The Japanese have a reputation for being very demanding on freshness and quality, as a great deal of the fish they buy is destined for the raw sushi market and listeria-type bacteria present a high risk factor.

"Freezing, like cooking, kills bacteria and the Japanese are starting to buy frozen salmon for their sushi market, which is proof in itself of the reliability of the process," he added.

Based in Boulogne Sur Mer in northern France, Direct Ocean imports 12,000 tonnes of fresh and frozen salmon annually into France.

"Most of our fresh salmon comes from Norway, Scotland and to a lesser extent Ireland and is sold to smokers and fishmongers or retail multiples for their fresh fish stalls," he said.

Farmed salmon breed more sea lice than actual food. Stick to wild salmon, both better tasting, and cleaner.

Also, for sushi I suggest coho or pink salmon for stronger taste, or some smoked sockeye.

cv

You dont get salmon farms over here (fror the reasons already stated)

You have probably been eating frozen (thawed) farmed salmon(it get's lice due to over population of the pens and too warm water but is'nt usualy sold).

Darknight is talking about I think glavalax (SP?) which is very nice

Maybe I am biased, but always go for Tasmanian Atlantic Salmon, oysters while u are at it, cleanest water in the world :o . Sure they are from a fish farm , but better than a fish from a wild ... rapidly dwindling , spawning populations . I know there is alot of negativity floating around about fish farms, a few lice never hurt anybody . In my part of the world we have a feral , breedin....,Atlantic salmon population...as a result of escapes from farms. Spawning of salmon will soon be a thing of the past in the North Atlantic ...excinct . Maybe throwing away all those nets ...could delay the processs.

Lice crawl on the skin. It's the worms you gotta worry about when eating raw. Best to buy the flash frozen. I was reading in the paper much wild caught salmon headed for the US is flash frozen when caught. It is then shipped to China where it is thawed gutted and boned and refrozen and shipped out to market.

Scamp i read many months ago a article , do not eat salmon more of few time a month ...

and to for you to know if you like smoked salmon , the Narai hotel in silom have buffet at night ( 360 Bhats ) with all the smoked salmon you can eat ... i think was 11 plates my maxi ...they have a small bar with raw salmon too

Let me just point out what can happen by eating raw fish that has not been frozen..

DO NOT GO HERE IF SQUEEMISH !!!

http://adorablebunnies.com/LOADER/This%20p...ill%20alive.jpg

That person was still alive...

Still feel like DiY sushi !!!

I'm sorry but that photo is fake. Parasite infections from eating raw meat or fish are not, but that photo is.

How do I know? Ask the brain surgeon in your street corner clinic if he wouldn't shave the patient first...