My Friend Got A 60 Days Tourist Visa

My friend got a 60 days tourist visa but the airport immigration gave him a 30 days stay!

He didn't notice before 4 days later.

What do he do now?

I advised him to go to the nearest Immigration office the day before his visa expire and explain to them...I guess they will give him an additional 30 days, no?

Any advice appreciated ;-)

Edited by olsen

He should go to immigration as soon as possible, they will correct the stamp for free.

A word of warning, if he stays past the 30 days he got stamped for he is technically on overstay and can be fined.

If the airport immigration did not cancel his visa (they stamp it 'used') it's still live, so he could do a border run and get a full 60 days extra :)

A friend who has a Nom Imm B valid until February 5th 2011 arrive the other day to find that she had been stamped in until Feb 5th 2010. The dozo at immigration was obviously half asleep or too busy chatting to her work maytes, but a real royal pain to have to go to immgration to get it sorted

Yep, it is quite important to double check the dates on the stamps when you enter Thailand.

A word of warning, if he stays past the 30 days he got stamped for he is technically on overstay and can be fined.

Possibly, although I'm not entirely sure. Legally it seems that the first thing they look at is how long you were supposed to be allowed to stay in Thailand.

When they stamp wrong the other way around, i.e. they stamp you in for 90 days when on a tourist visa, you will be definitely on overstay (and get fined) for the time you are in Thailand after the 60 days you should have gotten. Regardless of the stamp the immigration officer gave you when entering Thailand.

IMO, if they actually marked the tourist visa as used, but only gave you 30 days, I doubt you'll get charged overstay after the 30 days. If however they stamped you as 30 days visa free entry (missed the tourist visa altogether), then you'll most likely get fined for the overstay.

Just a reminder that not everyone with a tourist visa gets a 60 day stay. Most countries not eligible for visa exempt entry will only get 30 days.

Correct.

http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

The column on the left are the countries who do not get the 30 day visa free on arrival, but rather have to get the 15 day visa on arrival.

They will also only receive 30 days when entering on a tourist visa (and will only be issued a 7 day extension if they apply at immigration).

A friend who has a Nom Imm B valid until February 5th 2011 arrive the other day to find that she had been stamped in until Feb 5th 2010. The dozo at immigration was obviously half asleep or too busy chatting to her work maytes, but a real royal pain to have to go to immgration to get it sorted

Why is Immi being a 'dozo'?

The Non Imm B is obviously a multi-entry and Immi will only stamp them in for 90 days in any event.

The post does not make much sense to me. How is it possible to have a Non Imm B valid until 5th Feb 2011 in any event if they have arrived in Thailand already?

Surely the Visa is issued for 12 months validity from date of issue in the passport.

Edited by Phatcharanan

I do wonder if the people that have been given incorrect entry stamps put the visa number on the arrival card. If you don’t do that, there is a very good chance the immigration officer will miss the visa and just give you a 30 day stamp.

As stated, it worth taking the second as you walk away from the arrival counter to look at the stamp to be sure it is correct.

TH

London for sure can issue 3 year "B" visas.

That type of visa can be issued to people regularly visiting Thailand (ie, sales reps) with permanent residence in their home country. Employment in Thailand is strictly prohibited for holders of such visa.