I Messed Up (90 Day Reporting)

Hey guys,

I am currently here in LOS on a education visa, learning thai ect. I left in November and returned November 23rd with my reentry permit. So I went through got everything stamped and put my passport into a safe location. Now I have been here for 8 years and remember in the past the 90 days resets when you re enter the country, so the date is coming up and I have checked my passport and it says 15th of December... I am permitted to be here until the 15th of December. Which would have been my original next 90 day check in with immigration.

A friend of mine told me it is 500 baht a day you miss it, that means I am up to 17,500 baht now >< I can't afford that at the moment. I am pretty sure the customs official made the mistake, or has the policy changed and you have to continue on with your original date, which seems silly as I confirm my address when I re-enter and I assume the airport taxes are similar to the fee I pay when I go back (in theory I mean).

Any Idea what will happen? What happens if they want me to pay 17,500 and I don't have that kind of cash? Surely even if I have made this minor mistake they wouldn't do anything to irrational would they?

If you had a single entry visa, and applied for a re-entry permit within Thailand, the immigration official stamped you in correctly.

The re-entry permit only locks in your existing allowed to stay date. You do not get a new 90 days when entering.

It seems you are confused as well, with the ED visa you do two things the same time every 90 days, get a 90 day extension, and report your address.

The address reporting gets re-set when you leave and enter again, but the extension does not!

The only situation where the immigration officer might have made a mistake, would be when your visa is of the multiple entry type. Only then would you have been entitled to a fresh 90 day stay.

Any Idea what will happen? What happens if they want me to pay 17,500 and I don't have that kind of cash? Surely even if I have made this minor mistake they wouldn't do anything to irrational would they?

To them it is not a minor mistake. They stamped you in correctly as per the law, and you overstayed on that.

To them you are more then a month on overstay, and they will charge you 500 Baht/day for that offense, again as per the law.

They will not do anything irrational, if you go there (with the correct paperwork from your school proving attendance) you will be charged for the overstay, along with 1,900 Baht for your extension. The 90 days you will get will start counting from December 15th.

As of then you will still have to do the 90 day address report 90 days after you re-entered Thailand. Going abroad with the re-entry permit has now brought your extension dates and reporting dates out of sync.

so what do you think the penalty would be... -.-

As posted. 500 Baht/day with a ceiling of 20,000 Baht. Plus 1,900 to put in your extension. Which will carry you till mid March.

And them make sure you do not forget your address reporting counting 90 days from the day you returned from your trip abroad.

We need to be sure of your status. Are you extending your stay every 90 days as most languages students do? The December 15 date is what? Your last entry into the country permitted to stay stamp or a 90 day report stamp?

Do they accept tag heuer? lol...

Whats the advice?

I am scared about the whole prospect of going there without the cash... and I don't particularly want to borrow it off someone... With a bit of time I could afford it, maybe even selling my aforementioned watch. Anyone want a Tag WL5112? 21,900 :)

This is not picking on the OP but does anyone find it strange there are people living here with no money at all?

I have read many posts here wher people do not have the money for their visa run etc.

The next question is why in the world would you be here if you had no money at all?

To not even have a few hundred dollars in hand?

Not even Thailand is worth living like that in my opinion

My last entry to the country was the 23rd of november, at the time the customs guy was kinda confused and i messed up a little and had to refill the form... after that though he sorted it out and said i was re entering on my student visa. I assumed because i had lived here before with my dad for many years that the 90 day then started from then. But I checked this weekend thinking the date was coming up but the stamp in my passport says permitted to stay until the 15th of december.. whcih would have been my reporting date if i didnt leave the country... but as one reply said i have a single entry visa... and i used the reentry on that so perhaps the 90 days didnt reset, but then i got less time than a tourist visa would have...

Also I don't know if this helps but I went away for a sporting event and competed with a Thai team representing Thailand which is why I left. It was sponsored by the millitary and we had some crazy paper work to carry our paintball guns in and out of Thailand and Malaysia. Maybe thats why it got messed up? Will having done something for thailand sway any of their minds?

I am not living here iwth no money at all I actually get a good allowance from my dad... He is actually somewhere in the region too, hence why if i wait he will be back and i can afford it in the near future, or wait until the start of next month when my allowance hits my account and just dont spend too much too early next month... I still have money but like not enough for where I am up to, shoot me for not saving.

The next question is why in the world would you be here if you had no money at all?

Lots of people here trying to make a fresh start, running from something, or working in diving that just doesn't pay much or isn't regular work. Very common to have farang, particularly young farang, living month to month here. There are even some farang homeless.

This thread answered a different question for me, but just to clarify.... I just left Thailand and re-entered on my Nonimmigrant B with a single re-entry permit. I did my last 90 day residency report about a month ago. During my trip away from Thailand at some point the receipt with the date of my last 90-day report was has gone missing. Not sure where. I was worried what would happen when I come back with no record of reporting. Maybe they have it on record at the immigration office I reported at? Anyway, it appears moot as it was reset when I re-entered so now I must report 90 days from the time I re-entered Thailand, is that correct? So I assume a Thai immigration official probably chucked it knowing that.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

It was immigration, not customs, that stamped your passport and the re-entry permit requires them to make up a special stamp for your previous permitted to stay and use that to stamp your passport. Perhaps there was an issue on your arrival card of you not entering the re-entry information in the visa field? Only a multi entry visa would have provided a new 90 day stay. So yes, you are on overstay and could be arrested on a routine police check and jailed. You can wait it out but my advise would be to borrow the money and make a new entry asap. Immigration is very good at this time in trying to be helpful and understanding but the fine will not go away. There should be no problem returning but you may want to obtain a new ED visa first.

Also I don't know if this helps but I went away for a sporting event and competed with a Thai team representing Thailand which is why I left. It was sponsored by the millitary and we had some crazy paper work to carry our paintball guns in and out of Thailand and Malaysia. Maybe thats why it got messed up? Will having done something for thailand sway any of their minds?

Nope, they did everything correct. There-entry permit does not give you a new 90 days stay, but rather locks in your existing allowed to stay date.

If I were you, I'd try to get it sorted ASAP. If by accident (slim chance but possible) you have to show your passport to authorities (road traffic check, small accident, whatever) you will be found out on overstay.

Which means arrest, court case and deportation. You will lose your ED visa status as well.

After arrest, you do not have the option to pay the 500 Baht overstay to avoid the deportation.

If you walk in yourself, and explain/excuse yourself, the 500 Baht/day overstay fine will clear you, then you pay for your extension and you're back legal.

((cut)) Anyway, it appears moot as it was reset when I re-entered so now I must report 90 days from the time I re-entered Thailand, is that correct? So I assume a Thai immigration official probably chucked it knowing that.

You really should have the last report. But report 90 days after return and hope for the best but have 2,000 baht just in case it is a bad day at Black Rock.

Anyway, it appears moot as it was reset when I re-entered so now I must report 90 days from the time I re-entered Thailand, is that correct? So I assume a Thai immigration official probably chucked it knowing that.

Correct, you'll have to count out the 90 days yourself, starting from day 1 you re-entered.

To the OP, if you have the necessary paperwork for a new 90 day extension, I would try at immigration.

There should be no need for a trip abroad that way.

If you do not have the paperwork (didn't attend classes), then yes, leave Thailand by air, pay the fine at the airport (no hassle procedure) and go get a new visa.

Without this paperwork, local immigration office will probably collect the overstay fine and charge 1900 Baht for a 7 day extension (or unlikely but possible, ask you to leave the same day).

This is not picking on the OP but does anyone find it strange there are people living here with no money at all?

I have read many posts here wher people do not have the money for their visa run etc.

To not even have a few hundred dollars in hand?

Not even Thailand is worth living like that in my opinion

Living anywhere without money reserves would be bad. 20,000 baht is more than a few hundred dollars, it's around $600-$700. I would say most Americans don't necessarily have that kind of money ready to spend at the drop of a dime.

There can be many reasons why people don't have large cash reserves at hand, particularly if you're young. I don't necessarily have a lot of savings, cause I invest it in my business. I don't want to get a job. Particularly in this job market. I'd rather be poor for some months/years than have to be a part of the cubicle rat race for the next 40 years, but different strokes for different folks.

No I have the paperwork... Is there any way they are going to reduce this? I can almost afford it already... its just not quiet.

Nope, full overstay fine, and 1900 for the extension.

Not everything is negotiable here :)

No I have the paperwork... Is there any way they are going to reduce this? I can almost afford it already... its just not quiet.

Nope, full overstay fine, and 1900 for the extension.

Not everything is negotiable here :)

Overstay can be reduced if you have a valid reason such as being sick. Of course, documentation is needed.

Probably not. :) And have not seen any report of extension after more than a couple days of overstay (they used to not allow any but seem to be a bit softer recently). Nothing lost in trying but have the funds to pay fine and fly out if required.

Fly out.... is visa run ok?

I think land borders are much harder to get overstay settled.

Plus on return you'll only get 15 days.

I'd still try to go to immigration first, with cash in hand.

It's true they usually don't give extensions to over-stayers, however most people overstaying don't have a valid reason for an extension, with the schools paperwork you do have a valid reason.

People turning themselves in do not get arrested, they will have to pay the overstay however.