Volunteer Work

MrHammer

I would like to get involved with some volunteer work but don't know where to start?

Not talking about caring for animals or things like that, but helping out in some way for people who need it. Back home I would probably go for something like help out troubled youngsters or youth/children from families with few resources.

I am not sure how do it here though? Do I need a work permit? I also don't want to pay for the privilege, but just be able to help out in some small way. Maybe help build a school or other physical work in poor areas. Or arrange a game of football, teach some useful skills or generally lend a hand to understaffed organizations.

I live in Bangkok, so would have to be around here.

Any suggestions are welcome!

i sent a email today to a company who organize volunteering holidays in Thai, (do i need a work permit to do voluntary work) reply, you do not need a work permit,

another organization said yes you do need a work permit,the only time work permits for volunteers was eased was the time shortly after the tsunami,

is it a case of one rule for one and one rule for another,?

Only one rule. You need a Work Permit to work. Paid or not.

From The Dept. of Employment. http://www.doe.go.th/service3_en.aspx

1. Definition

“Alien” means a natural person who is not of Thai nationality; “ Work ” means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

^It seems hammer, that you may help yourself into an immigration cell if you do it without a permit. Having said that, I am sure if you look right into it and are prepared to pay for the cost of a work permit to volunteer to help on of the charities in Thailand then you won't have a problem at all.

Remember Google is your friend :)

http://www.thaicharities.org/

Edited by neverdie

There is no witch hunt for volunteers and people will be glad with your help, but if there are any problems, you can be in a lot of problems and be expelled from the country.

Think for instance if you become involved in an accident while volunteering. You might need to show a work permit.

If you really want to volunteer to help people there are many other countries much worse off to do it in that wont throw you in jail and deport you for it. If you just want to come to thailand and live/volunteer then be prepared for the consequences if you are caught and they might not be pretty.

Volunteering requires a work permt, cost is 3,600 baht a year. Without it you are committing a criminal offense.

How do you explain people doing volunteer work in Thailand with multinational corporations, chambers of commerce, or international service clubs? Most foreigners here, if not all, have work permits, but not to specifically do the volunteer work they are involved with. There obviously are different laws for different situations.

Edited by Old Man River

Volunteering requires a work permt, cost is 3,600 baht a year. Without it you are committing a criminal offense.

How do you explain people doing volunteer work in Thailand with multinational corporations, chambers of commerce, or international service clubs? Most foreigners here, if not all, have work permits, but not to specifically do the volunteer work they are involved with. There obviously are different laws for different situations.

That is an old discussion. They are breaking the law, it is as simple as that, unless the volunteering is part of their job. There are no different laws for them.

As said, there is no which hunt for them and their efforts are appreciated, but in circumstances they could be in real trouble.

I believe that the police volunteer programme has an exemption, but afaik it is unique. On the volunteer point in general, anyone, even under the auspices of the Lions or Rotary, are in breach of the law. but in practice this point is ignored. My suspicion is however, that other, shall we say faith based initiatives [or those with a more overt 'political' position] might not be so leniently treated.

However, if at some stage an individual has problems here, then the fact is that such an activity does leave them open to prosecution or undue pressure.

General work permits are both job and location specific. If one is undertaking a commercial activity other then at the registered place of work there can be problems [(in)famously an auditor got caught up in that one].

Regards

PS The caveat is, the old saw, hope for the best, plan for the worst. If, for example you undertake voluntary activity within your local community that will be welcomed until, perhaps by accident some offence is given to a local worthy. One phone call and life becomes difficult. Maybe as noted above there is a lack of enthusiasm for 'alien assistance'.

Edited by A_Traveller

as far as i understand it , 3,600baht may not be your only expense that you have to consider , by being in possession of a work permit , you will be deemed to be earning a set minimum salary depending on your nationality and will be taxed accordingly , could add a further 2,000 to 3,000 baht per month.

There is no legal exemption for a WP if you are a volunteer with the Thai Tourist Police. The situation is usually that those Thai senior police officers in charge of these programs believe (wrongly) that a WP is not needed. Who am I to try to persuade them otherwise?

In practice, a TPV would have to severely upset the Labour Office on some matter for them to feel it worthwhile to pull him/her up for not having a WP for their police volunteer work.

But they are not exempt!

Simon

If you have to pay tax for your work permit it can be as high as 6-8k per month, Canadians and Japanese etc have to pay tax on a minimum salary of 50k and then there might be an accounting charge depending on who you are dealing with.