Wifi Antenna To Aim At Hotspot

BKKdreaming

I would like to buy an USB antenna that I can aim at possible Hotspots from my hotel room , sometimes I am too lazy to go to the internet shop to check my email,

The internet shop is 1 baht a minute so its not the cost, its just the timing if I want to check late at night when they are closed.

Any suggestions ? Something I can buy on ebay ?

I am not even sure if there are open WiFi spots if I aim out my Hotel window,

but here in California they are all over

figure the range is 100-200 meters line of sight to the local office buildings,

No the hotel does not have their own WiFI , and this will be for when I am traveling in other cities too

Thanks for you help

Even if you find some WiFi networks nearby, they will almost always be secure requiring a password to get it.

I can pickup 4 networks from the Royal Asia Hotel, floors 6-9, but cannot get in. Another claims to be open, but I still cannot logon for some reason.

But good luck, you may have more options with a directional antenna than I do.

Yes, you would almost always need a password to get into WiFi networks here in Thailand. The only place I know you don't need password (therefore free) is inside the Siam Discovery in Bangkok, but it was extremely slow.

I have seen directiona/non-directional antenna and signal booster to hook with wireless LAN router (but very rarely found) but never seen any antenna to receive the signal. There exists such a product in other markets?

There's no such thing as a wireless directional usb antenna :o

What you probably are talkin about is a usb wireless client, much the same as you have them in pcmcia and pci models, or the same as what is built in in recent laptops (centrino)

The usb thing (looks like a thumbdrive) holds both the transmitter/receiver and a small omnidirectional antenna. The advantage with the usb model is that by using a usb extension cable, you can position the thing in a place where the signal is stronger, for example by hanging it outside the window... bit more easy then putting the laptop on the windowsill :D

A range of about 200 meter without obstructions (only open air, no walls etc.) sounds about right for a standard omni antenna (forget the 400m they write on the box!)

Really hardcore wardrivers on the prowl for wireless networks use more expensive wirelss clients with an antenna connector. This allows them to hook up high gain antennas allowing them to pick up very weak and far away signals...

And yes, free wireless internet access in Bkk is far and between, you would be extremely lucky to find such a beast close to where you are staying. Most hotspots over here are operated by the big ISP's (e.g. the hotspots in Starbucks are from KSC) and charge ridiculous prices of around 180 Baht/hour :D

Thanks for the info,

I want to try it anyway , might be able to use it at the swap meet (USA) where I have to sit for hours till the official closing time :o

I just figured USB was the easiest , but if you put WiFi antenna on ebay search you find everything BUT a USB one,

So how do these other ones connect to a laptop?

went to the Ham radio / Computer swap meet this morning (USA),

These were the guys who I thought would be into long range WiFi,

But no one had antennas for long range , I talked with a few people who had done it , but nothing was for sale there.

Did buy a few USB 15ft/5m cables and a belkin USB network adapter, to see if I can at least get the antenna out the window.......

Still searching for a directional set-up......

BKK dreaming - Several So. Calif mfrs/dealers to check are:

Super Cantenna (A directional 2.4 Ghz Wireless Network Booster Antenna, sold in CompUSA stores)

-and-

Directional WiFi Panel Antenna

7-Element Wireless Yagi antenna

WiFi Antenna Forum

good hunting :D

PS - Possession of such material may raise questions when passing through customs.

Questions like....... "I wonder if this crazy farong is a terrorist?...or a spy?" :o

:D

Did buy a few USB 15ft/5m  cables and a belkin USB network adapter, to see if I can at least get the antenna out the window.......

Still searching for a directional set-up......

Did you buy yourself a chinese spider sieve also?

Your 5 m USB cable needs to to be supplementry powered.

The advantage of using the USB cable vrs COAX is the price and the signal losses.

on that page I mentioned earlier ther are some links to commercially available USB devices with antenna's

Sorry no spider scrapers at this swap meet,

I am right now going towards the "pringle" can idea,

I need something I can put in my suitscase and I think a Wok or big strainer will look weird at the airport Xray,

Amazing how many things show up on a google search , some claiming 5-10km which sounds pretty optomistic, I will be happy with a few 100 meters

Line of sight links of over 5 km are easy to do with regular of the shelf hardware...

The only problem is the line of sight thing! you have to be pretty high up to see 5 km far without any obstrucion in between!!!

I am right now going towards the "pringle" can idea,

I need  something I can put in my suitscase and I think a Wok or big strainer will look weird at the airport Xray,

Take a wok to Thailand! :D

Here's an idea: bring a print out of the recipe but buy the materials after you arrive? I have heard that you can even find a Pringles can for sale here if you know the right people. :o

Wanna get yourself into real trouble with immigrations - try carrying this through :

How To: Building a BlueSniper Rifle – Part 1

Even though it is for blue tooth it will work for 2,4G wifi

Actually the company that does the main part in this progect for the aerial is well worth a look - they have a whole range of better aerials for wifi

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2415y.php

I guess, if you have access to a high up place with power, close to where you are all you need to do is put a secure repeater there with an aerial directed at your local hot spot and you should have easy wifi to where ever you want it...