Woman Injured After Falling Onto Bangkok Skytrain Tracks

george

I often just spread my arms a bit (elbows out) when people start pushing me or trying to push past me... on the same lines i will simply barge into people who are preventing me from getting off the train (i.e. standing in the middle of the doorway trying to get on the train without letting others off first) - whilst this is not the most polite approach, it certainly doesn't put anyone in danger of harm... altho i do get some dirty looks as my 100kgs blocks some little 50kg thai from rushing onto the train first :)

I'm trying to picture what happened this morning, its kind of difficult to imagine someone pushing others before the train has even arrived at the platform...

I would assume short train long platform, women rushing up to where the train had stopped, people coming off train ...duck and dive too close to platform edge bump slip slid on to the tracks. Press report drama drama drama. prob she just misjudged the weaving in and out !

Bump on head, no sliced limbs stopped trains while they deside who climbing down to help her up! and the para van workers shoot each other trying to put her back board even through she would have jumped up fast enough if she had fell off her motorcycle at the traffic lights. and of course while every offical took photos to prove it was not their fault. Prob sacked the platform guard for not blowing his whistle. in the right direction while clicking his german army boots with heel clickers!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the person responsible for this? Vaporized?

CCTV security cameras should be able to easily identify the culprit(s), if indeed it was caused by such.

I was emailed the CCTV images today and it's very difficult to see what happened. PM me if you want to see and try to make it out for yourself

Edited by Hardback

I would assume short train long platform, women rushing up to where the train had stopped, people coming off train ...duck and dive too close to platform edge bump slip slid on to the tracks. Press report drama drama drama. prob she just misjudged the weaving in and out !

Bump on head, no sliced limbs stopped trains while they deside who climbing down to help her up! and the para van workers shoot each other trying to put her back board even through she would have jumped up fast enough if she had fell off her motorcycle at the traffic lights. and of course while every offical took photos to prove it was not their fault. Prob sacked the platform guard for not blowing his whistle. in the right direction while clicking his german army boots with heel clickers!

You are not familiar with Mo Chit station, are you? It is a terminus, passengers arriving there get off the train on the down line, the train then moves forward and then switches tracks and the driver then goes to the back of the train which becomes the front for its onward journey upline.

Can you please explain your reference to 'german [sic] army boots with heel clickers'?

Only BTS to blame,if we all treat our costumer like that we will not have any!!. It seems like BTS only are in for the money :D not service,they should have one more car on for long time ago... :)

Sounds far too logical.. If they added extra cars, the BTS experience would be less unpleasant, so it is likely that more people would use the service. This would have the side effect that the BTS would make even more money but would have a better reputation.

As has been mentioned many times - the platforms are clearly designed for longer trains. Someone probably lost his job over that foolish attempt at forward planning.

It seems the extra cars ordered for the opening of the extensions will just be enough to keep the usual cattle crush standards.

It has been mentioned in this thread more than once that the Chinese appear to be more impolite than the Thais in general pushing and shoving. It has certainly been my experience just walking along the sidewalk in a Chinese city.

I seem to recall the Chinese government making an effort to introduce the concept of orderly queueing in the run-up to the Olympics. (Indiscriminate spitting was also on the list, I remember).

I would offer the thought that in large Asian cities, people simply do not share the western ideas of "personal space" ; "privacy", because lifestyle does not permit.

Ever tried to make private quiet time while living with an extended Thai family and their neighbours?

And the person responsible for this? Vaporized?

In typical Thai tradition they would have run away

You meant to say: "Fled the scene". (This was a referrence to newspaper articles about road accidents, usually as in "the driver fled the scene".)

But I have to disagree with everybody (except those wishing a speedy recovery to the poor lady). As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, this is the first accident of this kind since the BTS started. Which makes for an excellent safety record, when comparing with other cities in which the mass rapid transit system (subways, metros, etc) have no glass doors.

Good Luck to the lady :)

The only country in the world where they know how to use subways and trains is JAPAN. They use white gloves to push the people in the train... Thailand can learn from that! (Not only Thailand though!)

Anyway, the Skytrain and metro in BKK are very good and efficient (for Thai standards). No complaints from me on both :D

Too all the people who complain about the Thais, they seriously have never used public transports in Paris, Rome, Milan, Hong Kong, Beijing, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

I have a good laugh after reading most of the comments. Seriously, NYC better than BTS? I always hear people from the inside yelling "get the fuc_k away from the door" or some other kind of confrontation at rush hours all the time. Here, at least people queue in two lines and leave you a gap for you to leave. Try BTS at 6pm at Siam Station. It's quite well organized compared to any other "crowded" systems in the world.

Thai's are just soo ignorant at times! No manners, whatsoever!

Excuse me? Did you say Thais are so ignorant and no manners? I'm not Thai but I call your comment foul, uncalled-for. For all I know Thais relatively polite people, wherever you go, inside the train, in the bus, everywhere, with few exceptions like this train incident where you based your inappropriate comment.

As a person who rides the trains and buses everyday I am subjected to the rudeness of all sorts on people who travel with me.I have been loudly abused on the bus in Thai language about why a foreigner is on "their" free bus or even why I am sitting whilst young strong fit healthy people have to stand.Obviously I couldnt possibly understand what they are saying because I am not Thai so it is considered acceptable to be rude.What a shame.I have seem young men and women push old people out of the way as they are about to sit so they can get a seat.I have watched as pregnant women are made to stand whilst young men and women sit.They will pretend to sleep,stare intently at their train ticket or gaze at the ceiling.Anything to avoid seeing the pregnant belly that is very visible at their face height.I cannot offer my seat as I dont have one to offer.I have been over charged for trips by a few baht because I apparently can afford to pay more.And the best one was when I was told to get off a bus because I was a foreigner and I wasnt welcome on their bus.

So my friend please make sure you have had plenty of time to observe facts before you mouth off about how polite these someones are.

Thank you

It would be nice if someone could design a one-way door preventing those wanting to enter until others have exited. I can think of at least one possibility (probably not practicable though.) Has anyone seen something like this anywhere?

Spain! They let the people exit first on the left and side of the train and lets passengers in later on the right hand side. Very neat. But I can see the problem if they don't have this in place!

Right now on Channel 9 news they are talking about the need for screen doors... very interesting.

And adding to the debate on Manners Re BTS, I find it quite uncomfortable seeing the men on the BTS/MRT who do not give their seats up for ladies - even for old ladies. In fact I have become quite fascinated by the way they (deliberately?) seem to avoid looking at the ladies. Watch them next time you travel!!! One traditional foreigner good manner worth importing.

Didn't ladies fight for their 'liberation' and equal rights? They can't have it both ways. I would make an exception for a pregnant lady or one struggling with a load of shopping and a kid or two in tow else they can stand erect as well as any man.

Excuse me? Did you say Thais are so ignorant and no manners? I'm not Thai but I call your comment foul, uncalled-for. For all I know Thais relatively polite people, wherever you go, inside the train, in the bus, everywhere, with few exceptions like this train incident where you based your inappropriate comment.

As a person who rides the trains and buses everyday I am subjected to the rudeness of all sorts on people who travel with me.I have been loudly abused on the bus in Thai language about why a foreigner is on "their" free bus or even why I am sitting whilst young strong fit healthy people have to stand.Obviously I couldnt possibly understand what they are saying because I am not Thai so it is considered acceptable to be rude.What a shame.I have seem young men and women push old people out of the way as they are about to sit so they can get a seat.I have watched as pregnant women are made to stand whilst young men and women sit.They will pretend to sleep,stare intently at their train ticket or gaze at the ceiling.Anything to avoid seeing the pregnant belly that is very visible at their face height.I cannot offer my seat as I dont have one to offer.I have been over charged for trips by a few baht because I apparently can afford to pay more.And the best one was when I was told to get off a bus because I was a foreigner and I wasnt welcome on their bus.

So my friend please make sure you have had plenty of time to observe facts before you mouth off about how polite these someones are.

Thank you

I have heard of some Thai being resentful of foreigners on the free buses (note I said heard) but I have never witnessed it. Indeed, I have had free buses starting to pull away stop and wait for me when I am running towards one (I don't care if it is free or 7 or 8 baht - I just want to get where I am going) and on at leas t a couple of occasions the conductress asked a younger person to let me have their seat. And on more than one occasion a Thai has offered me their seat. On another occasion an older Thai fellow who couldn't speak a word of English saw I was reviewing Thai vocabulary and began "assisting" me.

I think there must be parallel dimensions here, because I am obviously not living in the same Bangkok as some people here. The Bangkok I am living in is generally tolerant, polite, helpful.... I'm sure there are rude Thai, just as some commit crimes, and do other reprehensible things, but in my dimension that is the exception rather than the norm. I'm glad that I don't live in the one that some here seem to live in.

You guys who think its a Thai thing to push onto a train ought to try NYC subways- the BTS is orderly and polite in comparison. As a couple of people mentioned the answer is management adding cars to the trains during rush hour. Before there is a fatality. Surprised they haven't blamed it on the security guard.

I moved from Manhattan to Bangkok and I call bullshit. Most Thais appear to have no idea of how to enter a train, and I often just walked tits-first into the ignorant bints who wouldn't let people OFF the train before they tried to get ON. And don't get me started about stopping for a nasal exploration at the top or bottom of an escalator.... I hope the lady recovers fully and quickly.

I would have to agree. In the UK, people who are from anywhere else but London have no idea how to use a tube system. It is alien to them. However, once they move to London they learn, quickly. I don't see that process of learning as very evident in Bangkok on the BTS. Then again, Singapore is worse and Hong Kong can be a problem also. Perhaps the culture doesn't make for a good understanding of efficient transport usage. The same problems exist with lifts and even Pattaya songtheaws, where logic dictates that those wishing to exit do so first lest there be no room for you to get on. That logic is missing.

You guys who think its a Thai thing to push onto a train ought to try NYC subways- the BTS is orderly and polite in comparison. As a couple of people mentioned the answer is management adding cars to the trains during rush hour. Before there is a fatality. Surprised they haven't blamed it on the security guard.

I moved from Manhattan to Bangkok and I call bullshit. Most Thais appear to have no idea of how to enter a train, and I often just walked tits-first into the ignorant bints who wouldn't let people OFF the train before they tried to get ON. And don't get me started about stopping for a nasal exploration at the top or bottom of an escalator.... I hope the lady recovers fully and quickly.

I would have to agree. In the UK, people who are from anywhere else but London have no idea how to use a tube system. It is alien to them. However, once they move to London they learn, quickly. I don't see that process of learning as very evident in Bangkok on the BTS. Then again, Singapore is worse and Hong Kong can be a problem also. Perhaps the culture doesn't make for a good understanding of efficient transport usage. The same problems exist with lifts and even Pattaya songtheaws, where logic dictates that those wishing to exit do so first lest there be no room for you to get on. That logic is missing.

Maybe the problem is not with the Thai, but with farang trying to make Thai think like farang.

i have just finished reading this whole string and i am actually having a good chuckle at it's pythonesque evolution. This is hilarious reading seeing how such an innocent little post can turn into 7 pages of bickering and retaliatory comment (me included). We have mass transit civil engineers, social anthropolists, world subway travellers etc.

It really is like a monty python sketch and i am starting to learn to appreciate TV for what it is. Good light hearted entertainment. Never to be taken seriously and an outlet for frustrated social commentators like me :D

PS. the reason why one rarely pushes on a NY subway is the fear of getting knifed or shot.

HAve a nice day adn don't stand too close to the edge of the platform :)

Well those of you who thought she was pushed had best watch Thai TV, the CCTV pictures were not good, but no-one was near here, and she has admitted that she stumbled and was not pushed or kicked.

Yes pushing happens in Bangkok, but it also happens on the Underground in London and other cities, and in London the platforms are narrower and the trains hurtle into the stations.

Maybe BTS will take her to court for costs incurred, and also make her pay her hospital bill.

Thank you

I've been on plenty of free buses and never heard any abuse directed towards me. Also, I've never seen pregnant women left standing, though I have seen adults with tots in their arms standing.

As for being overcharged, several times I've had baht returned to me by conductors when I've given too many coins.

As for being told to get off a bus?! What did you do?!

Thai people love to say Jai Yin, but having a cool heart should not only entail being a calm person. I also should include being a patient and conscientious person! People expect you to Mai Penrai as part of being a good Buddhist, but they always forget the path to enlightenment is through the Noble Eight Fold Path! 

How long have you been here mate? 2 weeks?? Time will see you change your opinion on that especially in bkk.

Yep!! Totally agree, ignorant mostly comes from Bangkok just see how they drive around that place.

On another note hope the lady makes a total recovery.

I've been on plenty of free buses and never heard any abuse directed towards me. Also, I've never seen pregnant women left standing, though I have seen adults with tots in their arms standing.

As for being overcharged, several times I've had baht returned to me by conductors when I've given too many coins.

As for being told to get off a bus?! What did you do?!

I've never been overcharged either. 7-8 baht on the non-aircon buses. The first time I rode one of the "free" buses I didn't realize there was such a thing, and I thought the conductress just missed me. I went and tried to pay when I got off the bus and she shook her head no. Then my Thai friends explained the free buses to me. Maybe I look too bedraggled... :)

Edited by granuaile

a unfortunate incident, things could have been a lot worse however I am sure the station master and citizens did their best in

rescuing this woman. Safety measures should be reviewed on timely basis.

accidents and incidents are everyday events;

ride the trains/subways of Japan and then make your assumptions. you'll see at least 20,000 people

transiting a lone at Shinjuku station ...what manners are there when 20,000 people crowd

the station at peak hours; gropers, thieves, punks, weirdos, all prey during these hours.

I have never put in my 2 satang's worth of comments here but here goes. I cannot get over how negative most of the comments are regarding thai society, not just in this article but in so many others. (I am farang, and have lived here 10 years.) so to comment on the comments:

Those of you who think that there is no discipline regarding accessing the skytrain have never been to Cairo, to name but one city. Here, there is no need to have cars just for women so they don't get molested. People blocking the exits for people leaving the train are for the most part farangs who, giving them the benefit of the doubt (a courtesy that most here don't seem to want to extend to Thais) I would say are probably new to the system. I have never experienced shoving, though yes some people do get on the trains quickly to get a seat, and I must say I am probably one of those. When the trains are full, people generally wait for the next train rather than really overdoing it, and I find that Thais are most respectful of personal space. I would say the rudest people I have run into were farang...and ok the chinese are definitely number one in this department.

I think people who live here should stop complaining about trivial matters that are totally unimportant (and I don't mean that falling onto the tracks is trivial). Thailand is not perfect but to me it is better than anywhere else. That's why I'm here and for the most part, that is why most of you are here also. So enjoy and quit your bitching.