Western Buddhists

rethaired

Western Buddhists  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not too sure if it best to limit this poll to just that: a poll. I would think that there is the possibility that allowing comments could degenerate into something dysfunctional, which is not my wish at all. I will let TV mod. set the parameters. Thank you.

Edited by rethaired

Thank you all for your participation.

Note to moderator(s):

Not too sure why this poll was moved into the Buddhism forum! Could you please put this poll in general topics as it follows that if you ask people who are buddhists or are interested in buddhism how they feel about buddhism they are more likely than not going to be voting one way and not another? This poll is not directed to just people who are or are interested in Buddhism.

Thank you.

BTW, I failed to cut the "not" (not self-centered) in the penultimate choice of the first question. It should read "[...] and are self-centered". Can moderators make those changes?

Edited by rethaired

I think it might be better to state your hypothesis, motivation and intention in setting up such a complex poll as this.

You are interested in respondents' views on whether Western Buddhists are well-adjusted or not; self-centred or not; whether these variables apply to a majority, minority or about half the population of Western Buddhists people know; what religious affiliations or non-affiliations respondents have and whether they have changed them, and how long within a limited range of periods respondents have lived in Thailand. (The outside range of 3 years or more does not acknowledge the potentially vast degree of difference in attitudes between someone who has been in Thailand for 3 years and someone who has been here 15 or 20 years or more - the latter group being possibly the most likely to know some Western Buddhists and have been able to form some views.)

Perhaps if you reveal why you want this information and state your own position or hypothesis you might get some helpful discussion.

I don't buy into the ideal of a Westerner pretending to cherish Buddhism. Nearly impossible, as the deeper and soulful instincts contradict themselves. Occidental and Oriental models of thought are paradoxical, as cross-overs do not work. Better bet, that the fashion and trend to delve into a Asian spirituality is more reflective of the consumptive need that is very Western. Charlatans.

I don't buy into the ideal of a Westerner pretending to cherish Buddhism. Nearly impossible, as the deeper and soulful instincts contradict themselves. Occidental and Oriental models of thought are paradoxical, as cross-overs do not work. Better bet, that the fashion and trend to delve into a Asian spirituality is more reflective of the consumptive need that is very Western. Charlatans.

...meaning what?...that all western Buddhists are insincere and just doing it to be fashionable..??

I pity you going through life with such a cynical attitude.

I think it might be better to state your hypothesis, motivation and intention in setting up such a complex poll as this.

You are interested in respondents' views on whether Western Buddhists are well-adjusted or not; self-centred or not; whether these variables apply to a majority, minority or about half the population of Western Buddhists people know; what religious affiliations or non-affiliations respondents have and whether they have changed them, and how long within a limited range of periods respondents have lived in Thailand. (The outside range of 3 years or more does not acknowledge the potentially vast degree of difference in attitudes between someone who has been in Thailand for 3 years and someone who has been here 15 or 20 years or more - the latter group being possibly the most likely to know some Western Buddhists and have been able to form some views.)

Perhaps if you reveal why you want this information and state your own position or hypothesis you might get some helpful discussion.

I have found Western buddhists that I have met highly arrogant, feeling as if they are superior as they are --supposedly-- enlightened!

But, considering this poll was supposed to corroborate or disprove the notion that Buddhism can lead to that kind of behaviour or psychosis by being posted in the general forum so that not all buddhists would be voting in a predictable manner and so that the general population would vote, it has become a fruitless exercise. I am not too sure if a discussion can take place considering the sensitive nature of the hypothesis.