Thai Airways To Be The Region’s Leading Airline

george

Thai Airways to be the region’s leading airline

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s national carrier, Thai Airways International intends to become the region’s leading airline. The company plans to implement a comprehensive reform package, ahead of the liberalisation of the region’s air service sector, to achieve its goal.

To celebrate its 45th anniversary, Thai Airways lhas aunched a direct Bangkok-New York service.

The inaugural Bangkok-New York flight took off early on Sunday morning, with all 210 seats in its 340-500 Airbus full.

Thai airways plans to announce more direct flights from Bangkok to major cities in the world soon, said the airline’s president Kanok Apiradee.

The airline plans to improve efficiency and services in an effort to become the region’s leading airlines, Mr. Kanok said. The government also plans to make Bangkok a regional aviation hub.

Last year Thai Airways revenue was 152 billion baht, of which ten billion baht was net profit. The airline has made a profit for four decades in the row.

--TNA 2005-05-01

As long as the administration is full of Air Force officials and cronies with THAI credit cards, it will never be the leading airline in SE Asia.

Years ago, when other airlines were making alliances and even being bought out by larger airlines, no one would buy THAI because of the fat that it carried re: above.

region’s leading airline

In what category....? Profit? Load Factor? Most expensive?

Or just ...general....'leading', touchy-feely, waffle-talk happy feeling

Anyone else noticed that Thai Airways is PRETTY EXPENSIVE nowadays !

Hope Thai Airways is lobbing you a few free First Class seats for this free advertising, George.

If they improve pricing : currently the leading airline in charging the heighst prices.

If they improve service: currently masters in delays.

If they improve the ground service: long cues in check in, slow processing.

If they improve leg space in economy: I constantly get a knee cap treatment.

If they improve the attitude of the cabin crew:(well, some of them to be honest, occasionally you run into a friendly one nowadays)

If they renovate their cabin outfitting: my god, how are the seats worn out.

If they improve their customer service in general: try to get an answer for a situation, you'll be ran around for hours on the phone.

If they improve their Frequent Flyer program.

If they improve the food doled out.

If they improve.... can go on and on like that...

currently the leading Sh#t Airline, I would say... :o

I just read that they have bought 6 of the new airbus mega-planes.

Hope it translates to more comfort - leg room and better economics - cheaper tickets...

I guess the wait for boarding off and on will increase, not to mention the wait at the luggage terminals will be much longer...same terminals pleanty more bags off-loading

What's that thing due to carry, something like 1,000 or so fliers???

It's a news article which all are free to comment on. It is not written by any Thaivisa staff, nor is it a Thai Airways press release. We pay to recieve these from a wire service.

cv

region’s leading airline

In what category....? Profit? Load Factor? Most expensive?

Or just ...general....'leading', touchy-feely, waffle-talk happy feeling

Anyone else noticed that Thai Airways is PRETTY EXPENSIVE nowadays !

Hope Thai Airways is lobbing you a few free First Class seats for this free advertising, George.

To celebrate its 45th anniversary, Thai Airways lhas aunched a direct Bangkok-New York service.

The inaugural Bangkok-New York flight took off early on Sunday morning, with all 210 seats in its 340-500 Airbus full.

Does anybody know if this new BKK - NYC non-stop service is the cheapest route to fly to NYC from Bangkok?

It's a news article which all are free to comment on. It is not written by any Thaivisa staff, nor is it a Thai Airways press release. We pay to recieve these from a wire service.

Gotcha.

I know you're just reporting what TNA sent you, but that does'nt necessarily rule out the "Thai Airways press release" angle.

Do you feel you are getting your money's worth from these hacks?

jb

I like Thai but they badly need some new aircraft the entertainment systems on the London to Bangkok route are from the dark ages! and there prices are far to high EvA much better value!

Gotcha.

I know you're just reporting what TNA sent you, but that does'nt necessarily rule out the "Thai Airways press release" angle.

Do you feel you are getting your money's worth from these hacks?

jb

A wire report, 95% of the time, is a carbon copy of a company's press release anyway. Journo's a lazy creatures, thats why a company will issue a press release.

We pay to recieve these from a wire service.

TNA are purveyors of propaganda - why not pay me instead and i'll rewrite stories like theirs and from other wire services just enough so that they are 'original'.

Thats how the business works - everything changed and plagiarized.

If they improve pricing : currently the leading airline in charging the heighst prices.

If they improve service: currently masters in delays.

If they improve the ground service: long cues in check in, slow processing.

If they improve leg space in economy: I constantly get a knee cap treatment.

If they improve the attitude of the cabin crew:(well, some of them to be honest, occasionally you run into a friendly one nowadays)

If they renovate their cabin outfitting: my god, how are the seats worn out.

If they improve their customer service in general: try to get an answer for a situation, you'll be ran around for hours on the phone.

If they improve their Frequent Flyer program.

If they improve the food doled out.

If they improve.... can go on and on like that...

currently the leading Sh#t Airline, I would say... :o

Sounds like you have some problems with TG :D

Personally, I find them pretty good. I have gold cards with multiple airlines and whilst they are not a Singapore Airlines calibre carrier, they are also way better than most American and European carriers. Perhaps I am biased as I never check in at economy desks but from where I am standing, there is not a lot really wrong with them. Flights on time in my experience and no crashes. Baggage has always been on the same flight as myslef and I have never had a meal that I could not eat.

In terms of FF programme, I would say its actually one of the best - I got seats confirmed from London to BKK on the 18th Dec last year when booking about 4 weeks earlier - try getting that on another carrier. Also pricing is always a subjective issue. BKK is their hub and in common with other airlines, pricing into a hub is always higher than a 3rd country carrier with a way more limited service. Nothing is going to change that in my opinion. Have to say though, 140,000 baht for a first class round trip ticket to London is about 30% of what you would pay from Singapore to London or Hong Kong to London and way cheaper than flying the other way on someone like BA/QF.

Sure the product could do with updating but its not that bad and I have always found the service to be very good.

I am in Singapore, watching the ads for the new THAI service to New York.

Their new Premier Service.

They claim to have an "improved entertainment system".

Yes....... They used to hand out video machines with tapes...

Anything would be an improvement on that, wouldn't it.

I few down here in Singapore Airlines. Even on the 2 hour flight they

offered 60 channels of "video on demand"

I could select the programme and is started immediately, not half way through,

and this was available for the whole flight, including the last half hour!!

To compete THAI needs to be good on EVERY flight, not just one new service!!

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s national carrier, Thai Airways International intends to become the region’s leading airline. The company plans to implement a comprehensive reform package, ahead of the liberalisation of the region’s air service sector, to achieve its goal.

Thai airways plans to announce more direct flights from Bangkok to major cities in the world soon, said the airline’s president Kanok Apiradee.

The airline plans to improve efficiency and services in an effort to become the region’s leading airlines, Mr. Kanok said. The government also plans to make Bangkok a regional aviation hub.

Last year Thai Airways revenue was 152 billion baht, of which ten billion baht was net profit. The airline has made a profit for four decades in the row.

--TNA 2005-05-01

:D

By coincidence I just made reservations for an Athens-BKK flight on the 6th of June and return 16th June. Here's the difference in cost.

Thai business class-direct flight - 1700 Euro.

Gulf Air- via Bahrain- 4 hour layover outbound - 12 hour layover on return (ugh) -1200 Euro.

I don't much care for the 12 hour layover in Bahrain, but to save 500 Euro I can accept it. Will try to spend as much time in business class lounge soaking up booze as possible. (Yes, you can drink in Bahrain airport).

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

They've got their work cut out for them if they intend to surpass SQ and CX. They certainly can't do it with the equipment they're currently running. They'd have to trade in the entire fleet for one with decent in-flight entertainment systems, flat beds in business class, and all the other niceities we've come to expect from a true five-star airline.

They've got their work cut out for them if they intend to surpass SQ and CX.  They certainly can't do it with the equipment they're currently running.  They'd have to trade in the entire fleet for one with decent in-flight entertainment systems, flat beds in business class, and all the other niceities we've come to expect from a true five-star airline.

Don't know how much of it is Thai Air, how much is Thai ineptitude.

I fly both Thai and Singapore Airlines - almost weekly. The check-in at BKK is poor, whichever airline I'm flying. The check-in at Changi is far better, on both airlines.

In the airport, in BKK I have King Power and prices 20% or more above Bangkok shop prices. In Changi I have a complete mixture of outlets, name-brand eateries such as Coffee Bean. I have carpet under my feet, not vinyl sheet. I have shop assistants who want to serve (and who want to help), not ones who turn their backs and hawk a kilo of phlegm out of their throat.

On the plane I get attendants who can speak English on both airlines. But for some reason the SQ food seems a lot better than TG. Same airport caterers, I assume, so why the difference? Maybe just presentation.

But for TG to become THE regional airlane? Will never happen.

The SE Asian airlines mainly have Trolley Dollies - the European airlines Tarts with Carts. And this does count. Lufthansa and BA still have these prison wardresses controlling the passengers, whereas TG just leave the passengers to fend for themselves and SQ girls try to help people.

I just read that they have bought 6 of the new airbus mega-planes. 

Hope it translates to more comfort - leg room and better economics - cheaper tickets...

I guess the wait for boarding off and on will increase, not to mention the wait at the luggage terminals will be much longer...same terminals pleanty more bags off-loading

What's that thing due to carry, something like 1,000 or so fliers???

The A380 Family starts from a baseline passenger aircraft with a capacity of 555 passengers in three classes over a range of up to 8,000 nm./14,800 km. It has been suggested that it could carry 800+ passengers in economy class only. That would be one heck of a heavy load on take-off!

One advantage to having more of these super planes would obviously be a reduction in take-off slots needed. Although with the expected rise in passengers in the future, the problem of over congested airport runways and air space is a problem that is likely to worsen in the years ahead.

They've got their work cut out for them if they intend to surpass SQ and CX.  They certainly can't do it with the equipment they're currently running.  They'd have to trade in the entire fleet for one with decent in-flight entertainment systems, flat beds in business class, and all the other niceities we've come to expect from a true five-star airline.

Don't know how much of it is Thai Air, how much is Thai ineptitude.

I fly both Thai and Singapore Airlines - almost weekly. The check-in at BKK is poor, whichever airline I'm flying. The check-in at Changi is far better, on both airlines.

In the airport, in BKK I have King Power and prices 20% or more above Bangkok shop prices. In Changi I have a complete mixture of outlets, name-brand eateries such as Coffee Bean. I have carpet under my feet, not vinyl sheet. I have shop assistants who want to serve (and who want to help), not ones who turn their backs and hawk a kilo of phlegm out of their throat.

On the plane I get attendants who can speak English on both airlines. But for some reason the SQ food seems a lot better than TG. Same airport caterers, I assume, so why the difference? Maybe just presentation.

But for TG to become THE regional airlane? Will never happen.

The SE Asian airlines mainly have Trolley Dollies - the European airlines Tarts with Carts. And this does count. Lufthansa and BA still have these prison wardresses controlling the passengers, whereas TG just leave the passengers to fend for themselves and SQ girls try to help people.

Have to agree with much of that. There is a real sense of arrogance at Bangkok Airport too. My wife worked at the airport for 2 days after graduating and quit due to the attitude of most people around her. She has found a far different experience working with Emirates airline in Dubai.

I don't know what the big deal is, but many Don Muang staff can be really unhelpful.

To the ROCKY CLUB.....

Still trying to get the milage that they should have registered on my last trip....K.Wife got hers and we travelled together.

....doncha you just luv Thai Airways..... :D

Sawaddee krup.

Contacted your Bangkok office and received reply ...but still no miles added for my last return to London from Chiang Mai./Bangkok

Discussed with London office and Ditto.

Also have sent originals of requested boarding cards and Still no reply...

Regards.....

reply (at last)

We would like to advise you that after you have sent complete documents(both original boarding pass and ticket copies) please allow 4 to 6 weeks for your claims to be processed. :D

Royal ORchid Plus

and for all you "cheep skates"who want to fly to LOS on NON full fare flights (we only want RICH people )...no more miles...YA-BOO-

**Announcement**

Please be informed that effective from 1 JUN 2005, booking class codes “V” and “W” are not eligible for mileage accrual.

:D:o:D