Sorry, Not Thailand Related

marto

Sorry once again - I know that it's a Thai forum. But as I know here are some Australians and I'd like to get some kind of objective opinion /not directly from Aussie forum/.

1. I would like to set business in Australia, and I have chosen Darwin and NT for it - am I right or not? I mean business - like hotel, restaurant and some export.

2. Will I use some governments adventages if I want to invest in NT?

3. If you can send me a Darwin link with perfect info, lawers etc as thaivisa.com - Foster's will be on me.

And if some Europeans read that - how can I get cheaper from Europe to Darwin? Preferable from Istanbul or Athens but other advices are OK /as with Royal Brunei from London/. I know how to reach Darwin from BKK.

As an Australian I can say one thing for certain - if you threaten to make people drink Fosters, you will not win many friends... :D

Seriously - if you really want to invest in a business, you really MUST look at the set-up costs, the TAX situation, the Occupational Health & Safety legislation, the litigation-mad Australian populace and the bloody awful and in fact downright anti-business attitude of the Australian government.

If, after you check it out properly, you still want to do it, my single recommendation is that you see a doctor!

If the doctor gives you a clean bill of mental health, and I still can't talk you out of it, then go ahead...

Australia is a friendly place to live, the weather is generally excellent, the environment is very pleasant, the lifestyle is certainly most acceptable, and I am pretty sure you would enjoy it.

It is difficult to say if the sort of business you want to start would do well in Darwin, but it could do. You are right not to be trying to set up in Sydney or Melbourne, as those places are horrendously expensive to live in, never mind setting up a new business.

Queensland is the only other place I would recommend looking at - it has the best weather of any of the eastern states, beautiful beaches, and is not as costly as the southern states.

Check out what Darwin is like during "the wet" (season) - as that would definitely impact any tourism centred business.

Forgive me if I seem a little "anti"; as I said, I am Australian, but I have lived in Thailand for 12 years, and although I travel to Oz on business, I am homesick and missing Thailand within a day or two of arriving down under...but each to his own...

Good luck mate!

:o