Internet Connection

happyaussie

I am currently building a house several klms from Loei and need to find out how I can get the internet. Mobile phone coverage is intermittent at best.

Do I need a line from TOT, can I access through UBC or can someone offer another suggestions

Appreciate someones advice.

I live 4 km's from the Maxnet Office in Nongkhai and have a "land line". I have internet access with Maxnet with the help of TT&T and am not satisfied about their service. They promise more than they give and blame it on the slow connection on the land line. Heavy rains ? Forget it. Everyday I am disconnected several times and that is not nice when I do my banking business.

Complaints ? Do not help. You get the famous Thai smile.....

I hear that you can take a sat connection but that does not work with heavy rains. The Loxinfo connection also seems to have many problems. So I can not offer any help. Sorry.

Hi, I live 40kms south of Loei with no land line available, so had to go with mobile type connection, bought a Sierra Aircard 875U from Edge Thailand with a DTAC simm but can be used with other simms, cost 7500baht and the connection per month is 427baht for 140 hours, cheaper/shorter packages are available. The speed is not fast but ok and with Onspeed software is acceptable, the advantage is that you can take it anywhere in Thailand and still have an internet connection, it works really well in my Bangkok house as well.

Hi, I live 40kms south of Loei with no land line available, so had to go with mobile type connection, bought a Sierra Aircard 875U from Edge Thailand with a DTAC simm but can be used with other simms, cost 7500baht and the connection per month is 427baht for 140 hours, cheaper/shorter packages are available. The speed is not fast but ok and with Onspeed software is acceptable, the advantage is that you can take it anywhere in Thailand and still have an internet connection, it works really well in my Bangkok house as well.

if mobile service is intermittent at best then the edge modem sim card is not an option. just have to take chances getting a landline but beware the charges for fitting the landline

I would check with the locals what is the best mobile connection in the area, for me here it is DTAC, 0ne 2 call and true come and go and are generally poor, but clearly in other areas the reverse is true, check who has the nearest mobile mast with a drive around the area, you can't miss them huge red and white tower constructions.

Good hunting!

If worse comes to worst you may be able to have a satellite dish installed in your yard. I got one from TOT when I lived in my wife's village outside of Renu Nakhon. It was reliable but slow and cost the princely sum of 2800B per month. Now in That Phanom I'm on a land line and am paying 800B for what was promised as 4mbps but has never even hit half that and is often slower than 1mbps. Unreliable as well so I keep a 1-2-call aircard on hand just in case. I don't bother to complain. So.....good luck!!!

Edited by ricklee

Get a AIS Aircard E160E. 3250 Baht. Then use one of the data plans. Unlimited is 999 Baht a month plus 7% tax.

Mine works at 250 kbps.

My Sierra Wireless Aircard 880E would only achieve 25 kbps running the exact same SIM.

Some of the data cards (or Aircards) have the option to use a high-gain antenna with them by use of a connector jack on the card. You may be able to get a good signal using an outside antenna. While you have the widely available EDGE/GPRS to fall back on, you may want to ask around about CAT CDMA - and read more about it on the Internet area here on this forum. Seems to give good speedy results when available.

Check out this thread for some ideas:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Cat-Cdma-Cab...ns-t330373.html

kenk3z

Edited by kenk3z

CAT is a good option. I have many friends in Isaan using them and the speed/reliability is good. DO NOT consider IPStar satilite, I've never heard a good word said about it.

Undertake a CAREFUL check with regard to ADSL/phone line availability. Many villagers will tell you 'not have' but maybe nearby school/health clinic or Wat 'have' ????????

I think UBC option is only for BKK

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Forget all the crap satellite systems go for the CAT CDMA, easy set up and better connection with no stupid fees for a crap service.

It will cost you about 12k, and 790 per month.

If you want a decent TV Sat system also send me a message and I will give you a phone number.

I'm in Roi Et province with no ADSL near enough so I use IP3Star - not good and costs Baht 2,780 pm. How does one get CAT CDMA? - does it need a telephone landline because that we do not have. For TV use True Vision, one dish four sets for Baht 2,540pm.

Hi WormFarmer,

I was toying with the idea of IPStar or TOT and even went once to purchase but they never turned up thankfully, just hear stories of how slow the connections are and the excessive charges.

The Cat CDMA works on a technology that is in-between GPRS and 3G. My place is 10km line of sight from the nearest tower, so i have an external Yagi antenna to pick up the signal.

They have a CAT website but it is pretty poor and the telephone operators are not up to much, best going to a local mobile phone dealer and ask them for the local CAT office then go and sort it out yourself. In December they had an offer on so it cost me 11,700 for complete installation with the external antenna. You do not need a telephone line. they will come and check if you can get a good enough signal before you have to pay.

Do a search and read up on the set up, as you will find they usually do not know what they are doing and fit the wrong type cable.

If you want a decent tv sat setup dont waist your money on true, ask around for a system that does the UBC and DSTV all in one, one off charge.

BCB and lemsip - thanks for that information, I'll check out CAT in Roi Et. My IPStar normally runs at about 500 - 700 kbs (it is supposed to be 1mbs I think) but it can be a problem in the rains.

On the subject of the TV, actually the Truevision works well, everyone told me I couldn't connect four sets to one dish and pay only one primary fee - but the local installers managed to do it. Three sets are on True and one set is on DSTV (local channels only as that is all that's required for the maid), but each set has it's own decoder and all can be running at the same time on different channels.

• 1 month later...

Took the advice and had CAT CDMA installed. Not being all that savy with computers, all I can say is that I'm writing this message while sucking on a cold beer in my new house. Contrary to what's been promised the connection is intermtitent to say the least. To slow for internet banking and other activities??? It cost me about 14000bh. tInstallation was done by cowboys. So I suggest keeping a very close eye on what they do. With this said I am. in the sticks and now have internet.

My contined bitch is why don't Thais have any consept of quality and attention for detail.

Took the advice and had CAT CDMA installed. Not being all that savy with computers, all I can say is that I'm writing this message while sucking on a cold beer in my new house. Contrary to what's been promised the connection is intermtitent to say the least. To slow for internet banking and other activities??? It cost me about 14000bh. tInstallation was done by cowboys. So I suggest keeping a very close eye on what they do. With this said I am. in the sticks and now have internet.

My contined bitch is why don't Thais have any consept of quality and attention for detail.

probably because they are not aussies :) rgds Mark (aussie)