Looking For Hair Dresser (barber) In Chiang Mai

direct2dance

Anyone who can recommend a decent hair dresser in Chiang Mai?

I'm usually at James Mac's "offworld" in Bangkok but now I'm on a visit in CM.

I'm willing to pay a good price for it if there is someone who can cut farang hair nicely and in a fashionable way.

Let me know please! :-)

Hi, I can recommend the guy at Sridonchai road, passing the nitebazar at the Panthip Plaza traffic lights go left, 20 meters after the 7Eleven at left side, his salon is just accross the right side soi that is next to the large hotel, forgot the name.

He's really good, standard male haircut cost 150 bath. A very friendly gay with good feeling for fashion, he teaches too.

Edited by ManilaLover

Hi, I can recommend the guy at Sridonchai road, passing the nitebazar at the Panthip Plaza traffic lights go left, 20 meters after the 7Eleven at left side, his salon is just accross the right side soi that is next to the large hotel, forgot the name.

He's really good, standard male haircut cost 150 bath. A very friendly gay with good feeling for fashion, he teaches too.

150 for a bath with a friendly gay guy? 

150 baht!! Sure he's gay, but that's just par for the course for a hair dresser. The bigger issue is that 150 baht is about double of what it should cost! :)

150 baht.. that's like a 150 baht beer.. 50 baht noodles.. 60 baht diesel.. 30 baht can of coke.. 10 baht Mama noodles.. a 1.5 million Honda Jazz.. I'm seeing double!!!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

150 baht!! Sure he's gay, but that's just par for the course for a hair dresser. The bigger issue is that 150 baht is about double of what it should cost! :)

150 baht.. that's like a 150 baht beer.. 50 baht noodles.. 60 baht diesel.. 30 baht can of coke.. 10 baht Mama noodles.. a 1.5 million Honda Jazz.. I'm seeing double!!!

Well, if you think 150B is expensive, you are not going to like the 300B that I pay. I go to P Ong at Absolute Hair on Huaykaew Rd, same side as the shopping mall, just down from it. He has a large Farung clientele and knows how to give a really good hair cut. I dont have to say anything anymore, I just go there and let him do his thing, and I am always happy.

I'm not clear about the gender of the OP. If female -- then Mr. Ong at Absolute Zero on Huey Kaew is a great place for a newcomer. The place "feels" like a western salon and Mr. Ong speaks great English. Yes, his haircuts are 300 baht -- about twice what others charge for women's haircuts, but he does a great job with women's haircuts and many men visit him as well.

He really makes a killing on haircolor. I was paying Mr. Ong 1500 baht to keep my "prematurely" grey hair its "correct" color. But, after talking with several grey-haired ladies about the many advantages in Chiang Mai for women with grey hair (cars stop at crossings, song thaew drivers invite you to sit with them, etc) I decided to "go grey". I asked Mr. Ong about this and he said the only way to do it was to go cold turkey and look like a skunk for months as the colored hair grows out. I did some internet research and discovered other options -- like temporary haircolor that disappears with 25-30 shampoos. Why didn't he tell me about that? Surely he knows there are many blogs written by women documenting their process of "going grey".

So, I trotted down to the Salone section of Win at Kad Luang and found a Thai haircolor that does the job of transitioning me into grey. This is not for the faint-of-heart. The shop ladies speak no English and I had to stretch my one-year of Thai language training and lifetime of pantomine skills to the max to go home with a product that does a great job. Cost -- about 70 baht per application since I have shorter hair and can get three applications from one bottle (as suggested by the ladies at Win).

Meanwhile, I found a soi beauty shop that does a great job with my haircuts. So now, I've replaced an 1800 baht charge (once every 6 weeks) with an expense of less than 250 baht (70 baht for self-applied haircolor and 170 baht for haircut and generous tip). Eventually, I'll be able to wean off the haircolor and will save 70 baht plus enjoy the many privileges of being a grey-haired lady in Chiang Mai.

I'm not clear about the gender of the OP. If female -- then Mr. Ong at Absolute Zero on Huey Kaew is a great place for a newcomer. The place "feels" like a western salon and Mr. Ong speaks great English. Yes, his haircuts are 300 baht -- about twice what others charge for women's haircuts, but he does a great job with women's haircuts and many men visit him as well.

I've known Nong Ong since long before they opened Absolute or even the older spot in the mall. He is a very nice guy with good English skills and good hair stylist, although over priced. (Disclaimer: I have a simple buzz cut and do not get my hair cut there as I prefer my wife's cousin's shop for 30B.) A nice salon if you speak no Thai and want to be able to communicate to the person exactly what you want to have done and don't mind paying for that comfort.

He really makes a killing on haircolor. I was paying Mr. Ong 1500 baht to keep my "prematurely" grey hair its "correct" color. But, after talking with several grey-haired ladies about the many advantages in Chiang Mai for women with grey hair (cars stop at crossings, song thaew drivers invite you to sit with them, etc) I decided to "go grey". I asked Mr. Ong about this and he said the only way to do it was to go cold turkey and look like a skunk for months as the colored hair grows out. I did some internet research and discovered other options -- like temporary haircolor that disappears with 25-30 shampoos. Why didn't he tell me about that? Surely he knows there are many blogs written by women documenting their process of "going grey".

So, I trotted down to the Salone section of Win at Kad Luang and found a Thai haircolor that does the job of transitioning me into grey. This is not for the faint-of-heart. The shop ladies speak no English and I had to stretch my one-year of Thai language training and lifetime of pantomine skills to the max to go home with a product that does a great job. Cost -- about 70 baht per application since I have shorter hair and can get three applications from one bottle (as suggested by the ladies at Win).

Meanwhile, I found a soi beauty shop that does a great job with my haircuts. So now, I've replaced an 1800 baht charge (once every 6 weeks) with an expense of less than 250 baht (70 baht for self-applied haircolor and 170 baht for haircut and generous tip). Eventually, I'll be able to wean off the haircolor and will save 70 baht plus enjoy the many privileges of being a grey-haired lady in Chiang Mai.

Why does one have to be a female for P Ong to cut ones hair? I am a male, and straight, and he gives me a great hair cut every time regardless of those traits.

It is called 'Shampooh Salon' and he does both Ladies and |Gents hair styling.

• 11 months later...

Just make sure that you ask the price first - he doesn't have his prices displayed, so you could be seriously overcharged.

Can someone give a clearer description of exactly where this place is? Thanks :rolleyes:

I have been using the same barber Mr. Yong for the last 6 years. Sent many of my friends and overseas visitors to him and never heard a complaint. Pay 200 THB, and free head wash and scalp massage.

The location is in Chiang Mai Land:

http://maps.google.co.th/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=18.766564,98.995303&spn=0.005689,0.011362&z=17&msid=207342554554752814319.00049835cebc8550e0b1b

Tel: 053-204744 Mob: 0835753974

B)

Google Maps has made me written direction challenged... I am confused by the above directions "at" Siridonchai road... I am at the intersection of Sridonchai & Chang Klan Rd... What direction do I go from there?...

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sad day .. my haircut woman left to foreign country for 1 year ... she was the one who can do a good foreigner haircut for 50 Bht, professional cut (as I had in Europe before) ... really impressive !

I went to Absolute Hair some months ago twice ... too many "good manners" for a quite disappointing haircut. mainly the second time, as he showed me the result in the mirror and asked me "OK ? " ... my heAd looked like a ball, both sides not same level, and the back not straight ... but WHAT A STYLE FOR CUTTING ... really too much moves and manners for just a normal cut ... but maybe It was a bad day or I was not lucky :-(

Do you have new good places to report in Chiangmai ... simple ... not that expensive ... with someone who can look at your hair first and make a descent haircut ?

Thanks for your help.

Philip

I've been getting my hair cut by Khun Noi at Muangmai barbershop for many years. Lovely, lively, lady, mid-40s, enjoys practising her English, recently increased her prices to about 70 baht for a cut, same again for wash and blow dry. I think her shop phone number is still 053 876123. Tell her Mike sent you.

Drive up Meuang Samut Rd from Muangmai market, turn left just before the PTT petrol station (Wangsingkham Soi 1?) and it's more or less opposite the petrol station's 711 shop, next to the video shop. Sign only in Thai.

If you click this link, it should show you the position on Google Maps 18.799444, 98.997470

CMMCB

• 5 weeks later...

Google Maps has made me written direction challenged... I am confused by the above directions "at" Siridonchai road... I am at the intersection of Sridonchai & Chang Klan Rd... What direction do I go from there?...

What I understand is as follows:

With your nose to the south and the Night Bazar behind you, you turn left at the traffic lights (Panthip Plaza).

I like gay barbers, so I am going to check this one out. I haven't been to the barber since....2003 biggrin.gif

What I understand is as follows:

With your nose to the south and the Night Bazar behind you, you turn left at the traffic lights (Panthip Plaza).

I like gay barbers, so I am going to check this one out. I haven't been to the barber since....2003 biggrin.gif

Confirmed. It is very easy to find, and the ladyboy is prettier than I am (darn...) Shampoo and cut 250 B.

I saw Q Bone at Nimman Soi 7 (I believe) and stood there for awhile to see how they cut and I feel confident to go there this week. Scary...I prefer the dentist over the barber...

Edited by Soulwy

• 2 weeks later...

A new shop just opened up on Kampangdin road next to the Chiang Mai Travel Lodge. Its called Mokhom Massage and Hair Salon. Khun On is active in sports also, so she can deal with sports related muscle pains. Hair cuts are around 150. She speaks good English as well.

• 2 months later...

Crikey - there are 5 hairdressers within 3 minutes walk from my house - and I live 12Km out of town! Its not hard to find a good one, look at the ones that have customers then try it out. Personally I cut my own hair (in the mirror) and have done since I was in my 20's - only get a professional cut maybe once a year to keep some semblance of style. I once paid 150B for one (in town) was exactly the same as the 90baht one I got from my "regular" (as in usual, not as in regularly) one. Hairdressers here seem to be almost as common as 7-11s (more so around my way - where we only have 2 7-11s in that 3 minutes walk - opposite each other - a third one takes a good fifteen minutes forced march to reach), beating internet cafes into a close run thirs (2 that I know of, one is small so I gave it to 7-11s).

I'm looking for a hairdresser to come to my place for myself, my family and my guests.

Any suggestions?

Amazing. Some people think that just because they live in Thailand that they can be waited upon like royalty. Like wolf5370 says, take a 3 minute walk and you will find many.

I'm looking for a hairdresser to come to my place for myself, my family and my guests.

Any suggestions?

Amazing. Some people think that just because they live in Thailand that they can be waited upon like royalty. Like wolf5370 says, take a 3 minute walk and you will find many.

An "interesting" attitude...

"waited upon like royalty"?

I require a service and am prepared to pay for it... same as when I lived in Australia... same as the (on-site) services I provided there and now here... how is that like being "waited upon like royalty"?

Why the attitude?