How Do I Get Out Of This . . .

MJP

That is why one should have a little idea of Thai customs.

What they are showing you is a ceremony all Thai young men undergo around age 19, they become a monk and there is a party paid by the parents to invite all family and friends.

Their picture could be one of a couple of meanings.

1 They were inviting you to the party,

2 It also could be that they were asking you to drive your truck at the occasion, but that is normally the duty of the parents.

3 As you say they were elderly and the young and middle aged people usually dance all the way to the Wat (temple) They may have been asking you if they could ride in the back of your pick-up to the Wat and back.

I have been to many of these "monkhoods" The picture shows the young man in the pick-up ( not yours) his head is shaved as, well as the young boys in the family that were chosen to accompany him. It is tradition that he rides under the umbrella.

They are not asking you to pay for anything, envelopes are usually given out to the invited guest, and we deposit 100 baht in it and give it to the family at the dinner after the ceremony. If it is a close family member we give more.

It is my guess that they are asking you to drive them to the wat in the cars that follow the one taking the Monk.

Cost to you is the gas to go to the Wat, and 100 baht if you go to the dinner. That's all.

Cheers: :)

Jolly good show then.

Fortunately, they're 16 years too late. Definitely me in the back of the truck mind.

Jolly good show then.

Fortunately, they're 16 years too late. Definitely me in the back of the truck mind.

Sounds like you're of the mind to help out, but if you really, really didn't want to help out, you could always pull the rotor from under your truck's distributor cap and then the truck won't start.

If you do decide to go, bring earplugs!

Tell them you received a call from your old mother and apparently her buffalo is sick thus you need to fly back to UK urgently to help your family in the fields.

Spend a week down in Bangkok or Patters or to enforce the effect of long trip back to UK ask then to drop you off at nearest airport and fly to Phuket for some R&R.

Sorry hiding is not an option........you may have a few shots to dull any pain.....then in the best interests of TV followers you must go through whatever is planned and report back.......

Just in case we too are confronted with such a drawing......

Look forward to reading your report... :) .

Yeah. Now you have piqued our interest, this is one you will definitely have to take for the team and report back comprehensively!

It could turn out to be a Colonel Kurtz scenario, where you are raised up and worshipped as a deity. Who knows.

Good luck!

Edited by sharecropper

Strange story you gave us here ,

First of all if it is you who they want to take on a parade , why didn't they consult you if you would go along with it ?

Are you a type of person who can't say no ?

Are you afraid those locals will dislike you if you cancel it ?

Perhaps they assume you Thai is excellent and you understood everything which you do claerly not ?

many questions but normal I would guess if it was me in your position ,

my advise would be to take along someone who does speak perfect Thai or at least can get along better with the language ,

and then you politely explaining you understood it wrongly ( if it is you on the truck ) .

So get someone over there asking them what they want , cause you don't understand it ( you don't ) , even if you do understand it ....

And whatever if you don't like the outcome of it , let the person in question make them understand it , might be a very nice gesture of them but that you don't feel like doing it , say sorry and don't say anything more about this whole thing never ever again .

Problem finished . I stay in such a village long enough to just don't get invloved with the locals too many because first of miscommunication , and not wanting them to get in my private life as much , its the only way to stay comfortable in the outback . But they all know me , like me smile with me and sometimes hang out with some of them , but never go to any party especially the Wat . Why ? cause we grew up not the same , do they care ? Not at all .

Its all up to you OP ........

Edited by tijnebijn

What they are showing you is a ceremony all Thai young men undergo around age 19, they become a monk and there is a party paid by the parents to invite all family and friends.

2 It also could be that they were asking you to drive your truck at the occasion, but that is normally the duty of the parents.

3 As you say they were elderly and the young and middle aged people usually dance all the way to the Wat (temple) They may have been asking you if they could ride in the back of your pick-up to the Wat and back.

I have been to many of these "monkhoods" The picture shows the young man in the pick-up ( not yours) his head is shaved as, well as the young boys in the family that were chosen to accompany him. It is tradition that he rides under the umbrella.

They are not asking you to pay for anything, envelopes are usually given out to the invited guest, and we deposit 100 baht in it and give it to the family at the dinner after the ceremony. If it is a close family member we give more.

It is my guess that they are asking you to drive them to the wat in the cars that follow the one taking the Monk.

Cost to you is the gas to go to the Wat, and 100 baht if you go to the dinner. That's all.

Jolly good show then.

How can you tell in your infinite wisdom, that is a picture of you in the back of the truck?

To me it looks like Ton, a young man from the village, I live about 5 blocks from the local Wat and see these happen at least 25 times a year. If it is a local youth. everyone dances from the youths home to the Wat accompanied by all the locals that like to dance,also the ever present Thai marching band. I have danced in a few for friends and family members.If it is from an out side village all come in trucks, with a large truck to accommodate the dancers.

I re-examined the picture and can not tell how you can definitely say that it is a picture of you in the back of the truck. It just is a picture of a stick drawing.

Saying that is you in the back of the truck, makes one wonder of the sincerity of you post.

Cheers: :D

Edited by kikoman

dude. you MUST go along with this. we must all band together for MJP's support in this time of crisis. regardless of what he's being brought into, he must go. there is no saying no. i think most of us have been in this situation of "oh shit, what did i just agree to" and saying "no" is rarely a viable option.

i spent a night in Galasin not too long ago. fuc_k that shit...

• 1 month later...
 "from what I can make out, I'm to be put on parade"

looks to me like they want to marry you off ...

Perhaps they plan to auction you off, and have a grand party, on the proceeds ? :D

Or, given the umbrella, could you be the star target attraction, in the local Songkran-parade ? :)

It appears that they want you to take them to the Red Shirt Rally planned in Bangkok next month, suggest you get a red shirt or a pair of balls! (by the way, they will expect you to foot all fuel bills and food bills for the 40 or so they cram in your pick up...you might get a free red shirt though!)

Edited by billythefish

Jolly good show then.

How can you tell in your infinite wisdom, that is a picture of you in the back of the truck?

To me it looks like Ton, a young man from the village, I live about 5 blocks from the local Wat and see these happen at least 25 times a year. If it is a local youth. everyone dances from the youths home to the Wat accompanied by all the locals that like to dance,also the ever present Thai marching band. I have danced in a few for friends and family members.If it is from an out side village all come in trucks, with a large truck to accommodate the dancers.

I re-examined the picture and can not tell how you can definitely say that it is a picture of you in the back of the truck. It just is a picture of a stick drawing.

Saying that is you in the back of the truck, makes one wonder of the sincerity of you post.

Cheers: :D

It actually looks like some scribble from someone with a severe disability and absolutely no skills at drawing! If it is supposed to represent a young boy leaving the village for the temple life, then I don't seem to see the bag of Ya Bah pills, the Lao kao, or the Karaoke machine...Dahli was often misinterpretted too! so you never know!

No doubt about it ....... the hint is crystal clear: monkhood is been suggested.

Go for it: been there done that - its a great experience. Okay, clearly little point if your here just on holiday but if you're here to live, a few months in robes will be a big plus point and respect earner - and you might just learn something from it. 3 months is plenty plenty long enough.

No, it was just a festival in the local town. Nothing more than that.

Genuinely was very ill that weekend and missed it.

No doubt about it ....... the hint is crystal clear: monkhood is been suggested.

Go for it: been there done that - its a great experience. Okay, clearly little point if your here just on holiday but if you're here to live, a few months in robes will be a big plus point and respect earner - and you might just learn something from it. 3 months is plenty plenty long enough.

Looking at the picture it appears to be the traditional Thai holiday of " Wan Kim Off " where local amputees are attacked by a flying snake as the Puu Yai Ban drives a vehicle based on the one driven by Tina Turner in " Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome "

I'm sure one of our resident Thai experts can confirm this.