Driving From Manchester Uk To Thailand!

coolhandjoe

Due to the expensive flights from manchester to Thailand.

I am considering......wait for it......yes....incorperating the travel into the holiday.

:)

Sort of along the lines of " Due to the expensive costs of replacing the tyres on my Honda City I went out and bought a Lamborghini Gallardo " :D

I met a couple of lads in Phuket 3 months ago, (friends of a close friend of mine) who had arrived from London in a German built 20 year old MAN (i think) motor caravan, complete with toilet, cooker and beds. I can't remember their exact route, but they certainly went through Pakistan. I think they had to end up shipping the vehicle back to the UK because you pay a bond before you leave - which you will lose if you don't return with the thing. (though i do wonder what would happen if it was stolen or burnt out)

It is certainly possible to do it.

I met a couple of guys in India 5 years back who had driven from France in a Citroen 2cv.

I also met a couple of hippies in Goa who had driven there from Holland in a very old ex-Soviet army truck. The girl was pregnant too. I think they shipped part of the route from the middle-east to Bombay.

It is certainly possible to be done, though i suggest a significant amount of planning and research would be required.

Good luck.

If you ever make the return journey, let me know...........i could do with a lift.

Edited by markg

Due to the cost of flights you are now considering driving from UK to Thailand. Have you considered the cost of fuel, vehicle insurance, servicing, visas, food, accomodation etc etc? It could well add up to more than the GBP2500 (you mentioned in another thread) that you are prepared to pay for flights. If the only reason you are considering this option of driving is to save money i would suggest you take the cheapest flights available (Aeroflot or whoever) because flying with them is probably safer than driving.

People that undertake such adventures normally do so after months of planning. Those that do it on a whim risk putting themselves in grave danger!

ps

I replied to your post re the flights and have given a website where you may find flights more within your price range :)

Thanks for your replys, however the prices are still out of our reach.

Thankyou everyone for your valued experience,assistance & humour.

We've finally decided due to the credit crunch on cycling to North wales with our £9.99 tesco tent.

The irony of the holiday is that the kids will probally have more fun.

And my wife and i wont have to consume any headache pills.

Thankyou everyone for your valued experience,assistance & humour.

We've finally decided due to the credit crunch on cycling to North wales with our £9.99 tesco tent.

The irony of the holiday is that the kids will probally have more fun.

And my wife and i wont have to consume any headache pills.

Don't forget cycle helmets for everyone!