Two Days In Cr What To See?

Kasandra

Dear All,

I have just bought a ticket to Chiang Rai for the end of February :))

This gonna be my firt time in the north of Thailand (I have lived in Pattaya for 3 years and still never had a chance to go there).

My plan is to see as much as possible of sights in 2 day. Maybe you have some ideas what should be the most impertant things I should do or buy or experience in Ciang Mai?

I I would be very happy to meet some local farang people. Is there any special place where you getting together every friday or saturday. =)

Thanks!!

Doi Mae Salong. Doi Tung and Black Village!

Maybe a trip to Golden Triangle and on the road back between Chiang Saen and chiang Rai you visit the Buddha Museum!

If you vísit that museum you have seen something that almost no other tourists have seen!

Look where to find these places in the Google Map that you find under Pinned topics in This forum!

Have a good time!

:D:):D

There are many very interesting threads in this forum that might answer most of your questions.

They are not always on topic and they can end anywhere else then intended by the person

who asked the question (called OP here, probably meaning Original Poster).

The problem is of course: How to find these threads?

As soon as 'evening entertainment' comes into the picture a lot of other things come to the surface,

as, I regret I have to inform you about this, very few of our regulars think about bowling, a cinema,

let alone a violin concert. Many start to think spontaneously about interesting non-verbal conversations

with locals. And others immediatly see a chance to try to convince others (but first of all themselves)

that they are morally absolutely without fear of heights.

If souls would be like windows, these are the persons to clean them once in a while!

See for instance in the thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Evening-ente...Cr-t321923.html

About places to go we have many, many, many threads in this forum. Sometimes it helps to go back

just a couple of pages. If you would have done so you might have opened this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Places-Chian...ea-t322062.html

For restaurants and guesthouses there are plenty of threads as well.

Mostly they have titles like "do you know a very good but cheap top-class guesthouse or hotel?"

or "where can I eat the best food for a very cheap price (and without MSG added)?"

I am joking of course, but it could be very well true that if you type in the word 'cheap' in the

little window with search function left below, you will get a lot of info.

Among the pinned topics you will find it also (see hotels in Chiang Rai or restaurants in Chiang Rai).

Concerning expat meeting places the Saturday offers the full program, but at the Day that the Lord

took over from the Sun, things look different: Sundays Chiang Rai Corner is closed, the Swiss Deli

(with the German Beer) is closed, yes even the Funny House is closed. But, the PS Guesthouse is open

and from 2 o'clock on a little but very select society of mainly British gentlemen comes together

there for a glass or two.

They are a very welcoming society as we all (a few exceptions excluded) are in Chiang Rai.

Welcome thus!

Limbo :)

Looks like you have enough links from limbo.So call into Ric's bar near the Condohotel(its the only condo block in Chiang Rai).Good selection of food, cheap beers and Farangs..No not cheap farangs but expats who have been here a long time.All the best Dave

I'm not correcting you. Just pointing out that the big, modern, sophisticated place opposite the entrance to Anantara Resort at the Golden Triangle is the Hall of Opium. Very impressive, non-commercial and powerfully anti-drug. Not making money out of tragedy, as some thought when it opened. A 'must' in my view.

Looks like you have enough links from limbo.So call into Ric's bar near the Condohotel(its the only condo block in Chiang Rai).Good selection of food, cheap beers and Farangs..No not cheap farangs but expats who have been here a long time.All the best Dave

There is another one over by the sports stadium. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am suprised no one mention the White Buddhist Temple !!

This is the only temple that is very different from others in Thailand and definitely should not be missed. Not having seen it as a tourist is like visited Bangkok without visiting the Grand Palace.

Basically CR is a boring place, but I like the location of the bus station which is right in the centre of town and the night market is also right there.

Well there is a new bus station now which is a few km's out of town so that's one less thing to like about 'boring' Chiang Rai! :D

The good thing is that we have 'blue sky' now!

That compensates a little bit that most of the busses don't contribute anymore to the quality of the air in Chiang Rai.

I won't say that it makes the best pizza's, but I think it surely does! Really good ones and cheaper than a lot of

shoe sole pizza's here in town.

Only Fridays and Saturdays after 5 PM.

Location: ten meters from the place of the Akha ladies who serve an excellent pat thai for 25 Baht (the same area of

the restaurant with the beautiful belly buttons ladies with the music on a raft floating from and back).

You start out at Sankong Luang soi 6 or you come from Barry's golfcourse and take to the right at the see-yek on top of the hill.

. . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1265635246_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1265635368_thumb.jpg

Looks good, will have to try it out, how do they compare to the place on the corner near the police station?

Talking of air quality and blue skies, does this year seem better than most or does the pollution usually start a bit later?

They (the pizza's of Blue Sky) have relegated theirs (the one's of the Tree House) to the second position

in the race for my appreciation. For the time being at least. Less fat, more on top and nicely balanced taste.

His (the Frenchman's) opening hours are a little bit strange. Only Friday and Saturday and then from 6 to 11 pm.

Next time I see him I will ask him if it isn't possible to open earlier for take-away.

So far the sky is still blue above Chiang Rai, but I am afraid that this will change in a couple of weeks.

What we can hope is that a beloved member of the Highest Institution will visit us in March or so, because it

helped enormously last time it happened: nobody was allowed to make fires.

The last time the horrible air quality was put up for discussion in Bangkok government circles the politicians blames

the northerners for cooking too much on charcoal. Everybody had a big laugh about it!

But not the thousands of people with respiratory problems.

This is the only temple that is very different from others in Thailand and definitely should not be missed. Not having seen it as a tourist is like visited Bangkok without visiting the Grand Palace.

Basically CR is a boring place, but I like the location of the bus station which is right in the centre of town and the night market is also right there.

I must agree, the white temple (Wat Long Khun I believe?) needs to be seen.

I didn't find CR boring, although I wasn't in town long, I found it a charming little city, busy enough to blow the country cobwebs out, I liked the indoor market too (daytime) and the night bazaar was ok for a wander about, few food stalls and that, very enjoyable.

All depends what you're after, we went to a waterfall a few k's down the road from Wat Long Khun, couldn't tell you what it was called I'm afraid...I was taking directions from about 5 different Thai people all at once and just concentrating on not doing too many u-turns! but basicaslly turn left out of the Wat car park instead of right back towards CR.... after that it was a confusion of 'no not that left the other left' 'oh you mean right?' a few stops for food and many u-turns later we arrived in a beautiful park/waterfall area, it was about 1km walk up to the falls. Worth it if you like that sort of thing.

I didn't find CR boring, although I wasn't in town long, I found it a charming little city, busy enough to blow the country cobwebs out, I liked the indoor market too (daytime) and the night bazaar was ok for a wander about, few food stalls and that, very enjoyable.

All depends what you're after, we went to a waterfall a few k's down the road from Wat Long Khun, couldn't tell you what it was called I'm afraid...I was taking directions from about 5 different Thai people all at once and just concentrating on not doing too many u-turns! but basicaslly turn left out of the Wat car park instead of right back towards CR.... after that it was a confusion of 'no not that left the other left' 'oh you mean right?' a few stops for food and many u-turns later we arrived in a beautiful park/waterfall area, it was about 1km walk up to the falls. Worth it if you like that sort of thing.

That most likely would have been Khun Korn Waterfall which is the tallest in this area.

Did you get to Black Village as well as the White Temple? Two beautifully juxtaposed venues on opposite sides of town and well worth seeing.

That most likely would have been Khun Korn Waterfall which is the tallest in this area.

Did you get to Black Village as well as the White Temple? Two beautifully juxtaposed venues on opposite sides of town and well worth seeing.

What is this Black Village ? Never heard of it. Near to White Temple ? I will be in CR soon.

Yes I believe it was Khun Korn. Didn't make it to Black Village, after the falls we hit Big C, fed everyone in the foodhall (the missus got lots of brownie points as she discreetly took 1000 baht from me and split it up into 10 pre-paid cards and dished them out to everyone) took the kids to swensons so they could eat the ice cream they'd seen on TV, and by the time everyone had made it back to the pick-up, dad was after heading home to feed his baby chickens, he must be pushing 80 years old so I reckon he'd had enough by then. I was going to rent/borrow the pick-up more often but the following day it broke down in the main road in Mae Sai, which resulted in 2 or 3 hours in a garage in the back roads and Bt2,000 later (which was considerably less than I thought it would be) I was a little reluctant to take it out again! We stuck to things more within motorsi range of Chiang Saen after that.

Next visit (in May I hope), I'm going to rent transport from the car hire at the airport, unless anyone has any better recommendations, and do a couple of days in that, hopefully with a few less people in the back! Black Village is definitely on my list, as are some of your recommendations for coffee :)